Login RegisterFAQ
What camera do you have? - Page 3
 Post a reply
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Well if it means you can put other filters on again, why didn't you? I'm sure a 10 stop ND doesn't cost THAT much right? :shock:
If the glass gets smashed the outside of the filter still remains attached, so it would mean no more attachments unfortunately.
By
Urbane wrote:
Well if it means you can put other filters on again, why didn't you? I'm sure a 10 stop ND doesn't cost THAT much right? :shock:
If the glass gets smashed the outside of the filter still remains attached, so it would mean no more attachments unfortunately.
That sucks. :(
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
i see alot of ppl take tripods with them is this for long exposure shots so it stays still? Has anyone used a ballon/sock/stocking filled with rice or sand as a alternative.
its only ilegal if you get caught
By
unless you're as steady handed as the guy posting pics with a red tinge lately, you'll need a tripod for anything more than a second or so, I reckon. I just take mine anywhere, i took a couple of shots off my wallet in the gateway bridge last week, no good. Plus, not always going to be a nice level/dry spot to place it in some places ie drains. My mate has a DSLR gorillapod which is nice and compact (about a foot high maybe?) and would put your camera at a nice height for arty low-perspective shots. Having said that, bending over to focus etc would be a pain. Just be ready to get your tripod stuck on anything and everything you walk past/under/through :?

i also have a Nikon D5100, suits my needs (beginner) though it can be a bit noisy in longer outside shots
By
cool i looking at getting the same camera as i not even a beginner yet i need something relative easy to use and heard this was a good camera. The ony reason i asked about a sandbag was the transportation of the tripod a sandbag is easier to carry.
By
hando wrote:cool i looking at getting the same camera as i not even a beginner yet i need something relative easy to use and heard this was a good camera. The ony reason i asked about a sandbag was the transportation of the tripod a sandbag is easier to carry.
Sandbags work really well but obviously limit you to certain shots in a lot of situations. Don't forget to set the 2 second timer.
By
hando wrote:i see alot of ppl take tripods with them is this for long exposure shots so it stays still? Has anyone used a ballon/sock/stocking filled with rice or sand as a alternative.
I'm confused, isn't the sandbag used in conjunction with a tripod to keep it steadier in wind, etc?

But I definitely recommend a tripod. I didn't have one the other day and was severely limited to long-exposure shots, by ledges on which I could rest my camera.
By
i was refering to using the sandbag as a resting spot for your camera instead of the tripod to keep it still and level and you can add more or less rice/sand where needed to angle the camera
By
I just recently picked up a Nikon D3200 with the standard Nikkor 18-55 kit lens and I'm absolutely loving it! I'm looking to get a cheap tripod to start off too for long exposure shots etc.
By
I have purchased an
Nikon d60
Nikkor 85mm 1:1.4g lens
Nikkor 18-55mm lens
Nikkor 55-200mm lens

Learning the ropes again.
Used to be into automotive photography alot but stopped for a while.
Now starting to get back into it!

Hints/tips anyone?
Would a tripod be money well spent for a beginner into abandonment photos?
Would an top mounted flash or remote flash also be a worthy investment?
By
No+Pro wrote: i also have a Nikon D5100, suits my needs (beginner) though it can be a bit noisy in longer outside shots
i lie, i now have the D5200 after a couple of weeks of being messed around by harvey norman. i now have mixed feelings about their Product Care Package (sort of extended warranty) i was told i would have my cam replaced with the current equivalent but when they realised that the equivalent twin lens kit was twice what i paid for the one i got, they would only offer store credit or a single lens kit. wasnt too attached to the zoom lens (barely even use the 18-55 anyway) so took the single lens, still a bit grr but have a shiny new camera at least

Anyway, hopefully it meets expectations. it's still in the box, gonna try some star trails this weekend while i'm out bush
By
ERB147 wrote: Hints/tips anyone?
Would a tripod be money well spent for a beginner into abandonment photos?
Would an top mounted flash or remote flash also be a worthy investment?
My recommendation is that a tripod is invaluable, especially if you're shooting at night/indoors/underground.

Flashes though are probably not required or recommended. Painting with a diffused flash light is much softer.
By
d0dg3r wrote:
My recommendation is that a tripod is invaluable, especially if you're shooting at night/indoors/underground.

Flashes though are probably not required or recommended. Painting with a diffused flash light is much softer.
Are all tripods the same when it comes to mounting?
Had a look at a few tripods tonight....
Range between 400-600 for a tripod (well in the store i went to)
Theres gotta be cheaper ones around haha!
I could buy a new lens or a whole kit for urbexing for that coin
By
I have an old $20 D­ick Smith one, it works perfectly.

Why is d­ick censored? -.- Poor D­ick Van Dyke.

It's ok, boob doesn't get censored.

(Bypassed the language filter, just for this post - Admin :) )
By
If you have a decent lens on your dslr maybe spend a bit more than on a $20 boob smith tripod or it may start to drop on long exposures
By
No+Pro wrote:If you have a decent lens on your dslr maybe spend a bit more than on a $20 boob smith tripod or it may start to drop on long exposures
Good point - I am only using mine for a G12 point and shoot after all. Fortunately, it stays perky for the entire exposure time.
By
ah i miss you aydun, thanks for the mammaries
By
No+Pro wrote:ah i miss you aydun, thanks for the mammaries
Classic :lol:
Thanks admin, BTW ;)
By
I have a Fuji S5 Pro which is a D200 but with Fuji's own CCD, some hardware and software but Nikon mechanicals. I bought it because I was shooting a lot of portraits at the time and for that it is awesome, the best skin tones I've ever seen but for everything else it's pretty limited.
I've an 18-35 f3.5 which I'm quite disappointed with, it's nowhere near as sharp as I'd like and I've always wondered if there's a problem with it, it just seems to flatten everything. It may also be because I compare it to my 105 f2 which is just fantastic.

I have a beaten up old Benbo tripod which is great for awkward places and a Gorillapod which supports the S5 surprisingly well.

What I really love is my Contax G2. The lenses are stunning, really contrasty and I love X-processing with it because the colours are so rich and everything is pin sharp. Who the hell can be bothered with film anymore though? I spent a fortune on it and kept it in the hope that I'd get back into shooting film but it isn't going to happen and now it's boxed up and gathering dust, ready to be passed down to my grandkids as an antique.
By
Olympus OM-D EM-1 - still getting used to this beast.

Fuji x10 - this little camera does a hell of a lot, and was my entry into photography.

Fisheye 2 - goddamn I hate this camera. I hate how dodgy it is, I hate how you never know what you're going to get, I hate the fixed aperture, I hate how it still somehow takes fantastic shots. Goddamn. :D
Fitz-Hume wrote:What I really love is my Contax G2. The lenses are stunning, really contrasty and I love X-processing with it because the colours are so rich and everything is pin sharp. Who the hell can be bothered with film anymore though? I spent a fortune on it and kept it in the hope that I'd get back into shooting film but it isn't going to happen and now it's boxed up and gathering dust, ready to be passed down to my grandkids as an antique.
Just get out there and make it happen man! Even though it does cost money and you have less control over your shots, if you get your hands on some good film (Ilford black and white stuff, mmm so tasty... slide film is fun for ridiculous colours too) there's just something about it, and this is coming from someone who primarily shoots digital.
By

My Gear for A Standard Drain or Abando

- Camera Bag - It's a Triangular shaped bag with a shoulder strap and tripod straps
Nikkon D3200 DSLR Camera
Nikkor Kit Lens 18-55mm
Manfotto Compact Tripod
Remote Control Shutter Release Button x 2

Black Diamond Headtorch (100 Lumens)
Small Hand Torch
LED Color Shield Light. Blue, red, pink, yellow, white
Mp3 Player & Buds

- Backpack
Water, chocolate, upper drink
1 Knee pad, aqua shoes
2 Whisks, steel wool, 2 lighters, sparklers
3 Colored lights, red, green, blue
Light mounted on a small tripod
Boonie hat, sunnies, Keys, phone

- This gear setup has been working great for me.
With the quick access to my camera gear & torches via the shoulder strap triangle camera bag.
And then in the backpack, the refreshments and light painting gear, etc

i Love To Shoot in Drains :D
-
--> Darkday Flickr - Urbex Photos - Albums -- ---> Our Explores Posted List - 2 - UEGA
By
A bashed to hell Canon 550D with a Sigma wide angle lens.

Take one look at it and it's obvious that the thing has been smashed on ladders, dropped in drains
and dragged through shrub.

Exploring these days though, the photographic element has fallen to the bottom of my list
of interests.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
DeScent wrote:1 Knee pad, aqua shoes
If you have room in your bag I'd say a second kneepad would go great with the first one. But I can understand that space is a very valuable commodity.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Scarecrow wrote:
DeScent wrote:1 Knee pad, aqua shoes
If you have room in your bag I'd say a second kneepad would go great with the first one. But I can understand that space is a very valuable commodity.
he may only have one knee..

If your backpacks not waterproof, might be worth getting one of those drysacks and keeping it in a sidepocket etc in case you need to keep your camera dry in a hurry
By
I usually carry the dry sack... And a camera:) and a torch if I remember ....
 Post a reply
Go