Login RegisterFAQ
drain in donvale??
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
i was around Donvale a while ago near Tunstall Square when I saw an old, random, rusty-looking grille on the side of the road. didn't look like anything special, but it's fun to sometimes look down them and see what I can see, and I saw what I think was a pretty sizable drain. I wanna make it clear I'm not asking for locations, just for someone to confirm or deny whether there is something worthwhile around there, so I know whether it's a good idea or not for me to keep looking. I've been searching for a while now on google maps for or a manhole or gutterbox or something that might lead into this potential drain. I go back around that area somewhat often, but for now I'm stumped.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
St Clem's Drain. Look south in St Clem's Reserve. It looks like it comes out into Koonung Creek west of the footbridge.

To the North is Tricky's / Hunt Street drain, but I think that only reaches as far as Cat Jump Park.
By
ImGladImNotA wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 9:42 am
St Clem's Drain. Look south in St Clem's Reserve. It looks like it comes out into Koonung Creek west of the footbridge.

To the North is Tricky's / Hunt Street drain, but I think that only reaches as far as Cat Jump Park.
thanks! I'll check it out when I can :D
By
Great, take photos.
There's a link to the Google Earth file in my signature block so you can see the location of Tricky's on that. By the way, St Clem's Road drain is a Melbourne Water name I think, so if it is explorable you get to name it.
By
pregnant possum wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 2:53 am
i was around Donvale a while ago near Tunstall Square when I saw an old, random, rusty-looking grille on the side of the road. didn't look like anything special, but it's fun to sometimes look down them and see what I can see, and I saw what I think was a pretty sizable drain. I wanna make it clear I'm not asking for locations, just for someone to confirm or deny whether there is something worthwhile around there, so I know whether it's a good idea or not for me to keep looking. I've been searching for a while now on google maps for or a manhole or gutterbox or something that might lead into this potential drain. I go back around that area somewhat often, but for now I'm stumped.
It will exit onto a river :-)
Last edited by Alien on 02 Feb 2024, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Alien wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 12:05 pm
pregnant possum wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 2:53 am
It will exit onto a river :-)

There are a few drains on the "UnGood List" which is a semi-official Cave Clan sub-list of crappy drains that although explored don't have assigned names.

Occasionally something on the UnGood list makes the official list because of an interesting feature (gets bigger, a grille room, an interesting shape). If you were to explore it as either a new drain or a previously poorly rated drain that Gets Gooder, you would definitely have naming rights!

Obviously the CC Drainguide isn't the only one out there, (Known.Doc by Predator *RIP* and several personal lists are floating around) but after 38 years of being very constantly updated, the Drainguide is still considered the more permanent reference that will outlast the others. @Nippy108's Frog Locker was the most recent addition for a new drain. He's got some pics up here on UEGA.
I think I have a copy of the known.doc that I've used for a while. I've heard of the CC drainguide but don't really know anything about it.
By
the Drainguide and Known arre interchangable. Predator just called it known because you couldn't have long filenames on old PCs
 Post a reply
Go