Login RegisterFAQ
What's that weird smell that drains have?
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I assume it's the storm water and the grog from the city above washing in the drains, but im not sure. If anyone knows that would be great. Curiosity got the better of me and had to ask someone!
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Generally sewage. Not that it flows freely into the stormwater, but there are sewage overflow points occasionally, so you with smell the air from these. Smells kinda soapy, as most sewer is from showers and washing machines.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Shrooms wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 4:52 pm
I assume it's the storm water and the grog from the city above washing in the drains, but im not sure. If anyone knows that would be great. Curiosity got the better of me and had to ask someone!
If it's that general drain smell... the water in a concrete pipe & the concrete dust being stirred (we used to call it "sweet smelling drains"), then it's an actual thing (like how rain hitting the city during the summer gives off a certain smell).

Someone way smarter than me described it recently... maybe it was Iso?
By
Poop?
By
ironfistdoug wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 12:24 pm
If it's that general drain smell... the water in a concrete pipe & the concrete dust being stirred (we used to call it "sweet smelling drains"), then it's an actual thing (like how rain hitting the city during the summer gives off a certain smell).

The drain smell could be a combo of gas waste from algae and bacteria, cement, rubbish, stuff that's washed in, trolley wheels, homeless guy/drunk guy urine, car tyres, etc. And poop, probably. I dunno I never really thought about it... Companies like ALS do gas sample testing so if we could capture some air from inside a drain they might be able to analyse it to see what particles are in the air. Not sure I wanna know :lol:

The "after rain smell" is called Petrichor, I think it's something in soil that gets picked up when rain hits warm ground and evaporates into gas
By
nysm_NYD wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 4:37 pm
ironfistdoug wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 12:24 pm

The drain smell could be a combo of gas waste from algae and bacteria, cement, rubbish, stuff that's washed in, trolley wheels, homeless guy/drunk guy urine, car tyres, etc. And poop, probably. I dunno I never really thought about it... Companies like ALS do gas sample testing so if we could capture some air from inside a drain they might be able to analyse it to see what particles are in the air. Not sure I wanna know :lol:

The "after rain smell" is called Petrichor, I think it's something in soil that gets picked up when rain hits warm ground and evaporates into gas
The smell I'm thinking of is when you first go in a concrete drain in summer.

Not the musty pooey gassy smells you find further up drains.

Another drain smell that always smells the same is the brown rust-like mud that seeps out of some drains. Mummy tunnel had lots of these deposits & if you were unfortunate enough to brush against them, it looked like you had s*** on you.
By
haha I never thought so much about the smells in drains :lol: Will have to pay more attention on the next mish!
By
nysm_NYD wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 6:25 am
haha I never thought so much about the smells in drains :lol: Will have to pay more attention on the next mish!
Walking behind certain explorers can be worse than the actual drain ;)
By
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By
I just think it's runoff from the streets. All the oils, trash, bits of food, etc that get washed into the stormwater system during rains.
By
Nippy108 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 2:03 pm
I just think it's runoff from the streets. All the oils, trash, bits of food, etc that get washed into the stormwater system during rains.
I hate going in drains after it's been raining for that reason
By
ironfistdoug wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 3:22 pm
Nippy108 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 2:03 pm
I hate going in drains after it's been raining for that reason
Yeah I saw some really nasty photos of the cpier littertrap after those recent storms.
Here it is, taken from the tunnel toads website when they visited.
https://imgur.com/nEMdkxg
By
 Post a reply
Go