Login RegisterFAQ
Old fart revisiting his childhood
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey, I'm up in Newcastle and used to love crawling around in drains, bunkers, ruins, etc etc... spent most of my teens doing "urbex" before I knew that word (maybe it wasn't a word then), we just used to call it 'going on a mission' haha. Recently started hiking for fitness and discovered some old mine ruins, it reignited the interest so I've begun researching locations and am heading off for a few missions in the next month or so. I've been to most of the really common spots in Newcastle back in the day (the main bunkers, old hospitals, power stations, etc) and will probably do those again, but I'm hoping to find some new places too. I'm set up for hammock camping so might even work on some overnight missions as the weather starts to cool down. Keen to travel to the central coast and Sydney for explores too.

Feel free to recommend some spots to get me started, the list is never long enough :)

Cheers
Last edited by nysm_NYD on 17 Jan 2024, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I read this article only a couple of days ago! An old friend of mine had one of the shops in that block (a photography studio) and I spent a ton of time in there years ago, but he's long since moved away. I know the three main entrances (well, two main and one fire exit) and it's probably accessible from the roof, but I might be a bit old and fat for that haha. There was a Herald article about it a week or so ago showing workers cleaning up - https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/stor ... velopment/ - I don't know whether this is for demolition starting soon like the articles suggest, or just because people have been getting sooky on the socials over the photos of it in tatters. It'd be awesome to get a set of photos after it was cleaned up, but before it was demolished.

Rain here for the next week so a lot of explores are on hold, but it's a good one for a rainy day :)
By
I had a look at the mall from outside but couldn't get in without tools or climbing, and it was broad daylight so I saw what I could see then I checked out an abandoned building at the other side of the same site. I really wanted to get inside the second building but there were plastic asbestos curtains, tons of dust, and other stuff that suggested loads of asbestos.. I didn't have a mask or anything so bailed. Might go back next week and try to get in there after they've done the asbestos stage but before they start bulk demo. I think the mall is doable with some hand tools... maybe a Sunday day mission so there's light for photos...

Thank you for the suggestion, I needed a bit of a kick to get off the couch and go be somewhere I shouldn't :D
By
nysm_NYD wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 2:20 pm
Hey, I'm a 40-year-old up in Newcastle that used to love crawling around in drains, bunkers, ruins, etc etc...
Feel free to recommend some spots to get me started, the list is never long enough :)

Cheers
Hey, welcome to urban exploring. Obviously the main areas are in the major cities (Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane), but there's a lot to discover outside them too.

I know the socials are very much a reason a lot of places get damaged so quickly, but if you set up an Instagram purely for exploring, there's actually a higher chance you can run across serious people (old farts like us) who have a genuine respect for exploring and documenting the underbelly of urban development. It's a great hobby.
By
Thanks for the welcome! We have heaps here in Newcastle but I love travelling so I'm keen to make trips to major cities for urbex holidays :D I've got a youtube for urbex up and I'll get an insta set up soon, I'll probably hold off til I've done five or six explores and I have a bank of stuff to post.

I work in a field that wouldn't look at this too favourably, so I have to think about my OPSEC to keep the socials anonymous haha!
By
nysm_NYD wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 8:48 am
Thanks for the welcome! We have heaps here in Newcastle but I love travelling so I'm keen to make trips to major cities for urbex holidays :D I've got a youtube for urbex up and I'll get an insta set up soon, I'll probably hold off til I've done five or six explores and I have a bank of stuff to post.

I work in a field that wouldn't look at this too favourably, so I have to think about my OPSEC to keep the socials anonymous haha!
Totally understandable. I just feel sometimes that the risk wouldn't even be from work finding out but the fallout from some aggrieved oddball wanting attention. You'll meet great people but my god, the weirdos too. :shock: Everyone's a lot more cautious in meeting people IRL now, or sharing major locations with someone who might be a bit immature or unstable. I guess it's one of the many risks you take!
By
Alien wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 10:13 pm
Totally understandable. I just feel sometimes that the risk wouldn't even be from work finding out but the fallout from some aggrieved oddball wanting attention. You'll meet great people but my god, the weirdos too. :shock: Everyone's a lot more cautious in meeting people IRL now, or sharing major locations with someone who might be a bit immature or unstable. I guess it's one of the many risks you take!
For me it's a bit more complicated than just "work finding out," and the attention-seeking oddballs are definitely part of it. I'm already collecting content for insta/yt, I just have to be a little more careful than the average joe about how and when I post it.

P.S. name's bond, james bond
 Post a reply
Go