Login RegisterFAQ
I'm going to Brisbane, what drains should I explore?
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I have a chance to visit Brisbane for work in late November, and may have just 1 day, or part of a day free. Does anyone have recommendations on drains to explore? No, I'm not asking for locations, I already know where they are, just recommendations and advice.

I prefer large drains with good features.
Ones with easy access and preferably not tidal, or with a non tidal entrance as I'll be wearing every day shoes. I may see if I can buy some gumboots / disposable runners. For this reason Brain Drain will probably be on my list as I can do it too and from the airport and I want to see that ceiling fan.
I will have to use public transport or taxis, so easy to get to ones would be best. Yeah, I'd love to see Accommodator, but how easy is it to get to on public transport?
I read lots of good things about Burford's Bat Cave, but could that be done on normal shoes, and how deep is the water at the entrance at high tide?
I read that Brisbane uses a Go Card to pay for public transport. How easy is it to buy a Go Card? Can I buy it at newsagents / shops?

Any other advice for drain exploring?
Any locals keen to meet up?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
go cards are easy to get some 7/11s still sell them, accomator isn't that difficult to get to, yes normal shoes are fine
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Finding a Go Card in a drain is the best way to get them! (Found one with ~$30 on it last time I was up there.)
By
dodger wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 8:00 pm
Finding a Go Card in a drain is the best way to get them! (Found one with ~$30 on it last time I was up there.)
Bonus! Well done.
By
Well I got there and had an afternoon off. Great! Get me to the drains! So I got in a taxi and said take me to Woolongabba!
Well I knew the drain was tidal but I had no idea the entrance could be flooded all the way to the celling, which it was! Fark! I walked along the footpath and got to the grille which had maybe 30-40cms between the ceiling and water which was flowing slowly eastwards downstream. I followed the drain and realised the map was somewhat inaccurate, the drain clearly does not pass under Ipswich Road. I missed the council depot entrance because I went up the wrong street. I followed it all the way to the chimney above ground. Just after I got there, there was a spectacular car accident at the intersection of Ipswich Road and Cornwall Street. A massive white ute ran the red and totaled a car coming from Cornwall. I ended up walking over and checking on the driver of the totaled car. The driver of the white ute was clearly under the influence of something. Everyone was okay though. No major injuries.
The police turned up and I gave them a brief statement because I only heard the accident itself, didn't see it. It was the sound of the impact that made me look.
I got some fairly average photos of the flooded drain entrance, grille, chimney and some supposed entrances that clearly were not passable.
I tried to get a taxi to Burford's but none were available so I walked to a bus-way stop and asked if I could buy a ticket on the bus with my credit card. The driver just said take a seat so I rode the bus all the way to the terminus under the Queen Street mall. It was a stinking hot day so I gave up. I chilled out in the mall. Later I caught up with a work mate then we headed to the airport for our flight home.
So close but so far.
 Post a reply
Go