Login RegisterFAQ
Body/lens upgrade help?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
So for the past couple of years I've been shooting with a Nikon D3200 with stock 18-55mm lens. As of late I've been very keen on pursuing more portrait photography. I have never been a camera expert though am really trying to wrap my head around Photoshop and Lightroom as I purchased monthly subscriptions to both. To compliment my growing interest in honing my photos I really need some help understanding what types of lenses I should be looking at acquiring and/or if upgrading my camera body is actually worth it. I don't particularly understand what the benefits of a $1000 body over a $300 body. I mean obviously it's something, the megapixels or something but I think having some new lenses may be a better go for me at this point?
Also what can I do to improve low light photography other than get a tripod which I have.
Budget is very flexible. Not keen to shell out a million dollars for gear but a few thousand is within my price range.
Thanks.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
After doing some research I am looking to purchase a Nikon D750 and a Nikon 50mm F1.8G at about $1500 for both. Then I'll experiment with them for a bit and deliberate about picking up a few more lenses.
By
Yeah you don't need to spend heaps to get good results i just picked up a nifty 50mm fL1.8 Canon lens for portrait photography $130 on ebay and it suits my needs.
For low-light photography I use a 24mm wideangle lens this was not cheap but I get good results with it by using bulb mode (you will need a remote shutter release you can pick them up for about $20) than play with your settings i usually start with iso 200 fL 2.8 for light painting If your shooting Really bright ie fire spinning ect raise to fL10
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Grabbed a Nikon D750 and Nikon 50mm F1.8G for $1350 second hand. Haven't had a chance to play around with it yet as just got it in the mail. Honestly didn't expect it to be so much more professional like than my old D3200. So much to learn.
Here it is with the 50mm on next to my old Nikon D3200 with kit lens.
By
Very nice Kit!!
By
Been shooting less and less lately and wanted to go more portable so I've bought a Sony A6000 with 16-50mm kit lens and a 30mm macro.
By
Try the 35mm f1.8 a bit more expensive but it isn't as tight for shots. Used it for most of my photography shooting bands.
By
TimChuma wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 8:26 pm
Try the 35mm f1.8 a bit more expensive but it isn't as tight for shots. Used it for most of my photography shooting bands.
Sold the Sony anyhow. Really just couldn't wrap my head around mirrorless. Didn't feel as good as Nikon. Think I've used Nikon for too long. Going back to my roots with a Nikon D3400 with kit lens. Honestly, to the average person, it takes great photos. Touch them up in lightroom and they're just fine. I don't shoot enough to justify a more expensive camera at the moment. Getting out is almost a chore as of late.....
By
I only ended up changing from Nikon to Canon as I had bought some lenses to use for a temporary camera. Worked out to be the right price in comparison as I had a Gofundme for when my camera got stolen.
By
TimChuma wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 1:35 pm
I only ended up changing from Nikon to Canon as I had bought some lenses to use for a temporary camera. Worked out to be the right price in comparison as I had a Gofundme for when my camera got stolen.
Oooh. I'd never switch from Canon to Nikon. Personal prejudice. I always had a friend who insisted Canon was better than Nikon. Truth is they're basically the same. I went Nikon and I'll always believe in them until Canon release something that's a good 500 features ahead of the Nikon. Truth is once you find your comfort it doesn't matter. I found my nostalgia and comfort in Nikon. The fact is to the average person no matter what brand you shoot with your photos will be 'amazing'. So ayyy, shoot with what you're comfortable with. Enjoy life.
 Post a reply
Go