Login RegisterFAQ
Sydney skill share / education expo POSTPONED!
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
This expo is now POSTPONED due to extremely shitty forecast weather. Yes I know it is not a drain, but expos in rain are not fun, and some of the logistics would be a real pain. Very sorry. That said, there's nothing stopping others from organizing their own meets this day.

A few of us have been bouncing around the idea of a newbies expo to help give new explorers a chance to meet and teach them the ropes. Mostly teach exploration skills and safety. This will also be a meet and greet to get to know one another.

So, we present the Newbies skill share expo for 10am Saturday March 18th. Meet in the car park at Anzac Bunkers, end of Fisherman's Road, Malabar, 33°57'51.31"S 151°15'18.32"E

This expo will be totally legal, we won't be doing anything illegal, or going into illegal sites. You can bring your mum to this expo (please don't unless she wants to get into UE). The expo will consist of a series of talks about basic UE techniques such as exploring drains and buildings, safety and so on. It will be interactive. We will be exploring the Malabar / Anzac bunkers site. You will get to ask questions, and if we know the answers we'll even answer them. There will be a large focus on exploring safely and responsibly, and meeting and greeting.
This expo is open to Newbies and experienced explorers. If you've not explored with people in Sydney before, this is a chance to come along and meet people, form networks and so on.

If all goes well the expo will be catered! Just sandwiches and juice. So if you're coming, please post post here so we know how many to cater for. I'm also hoping to print off pages with links to UE FAQs, guides and safety advice, so if you know of any material or Youtube videos that would be suitable, please add links here.

Most importantly, if you're an experienced explorer and would like to come down for the day to lend a hand and share your experience, please come. It will be pretty informal, sort of a big yarn session really. Although we will be doing exploring, and simulating a drain explore in the bunker tunnels so we can give advice like not shining torches in people's faces and not splashing water around. Finally, if you need transport, please advise. We might be able to do a shuttle run from a local bus stop.
Last edited by Panic! on 14 Mar 2017, 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Sounds like a great idea :)

Will try to make it if that Sunday is free. Will advise as we get closer to the date.
By
Great stuff Panic!
I'll be there :)
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
At this time i can say yes as long as nothing changes, also im coming from newy if anyone want lifts
By
I might be there, might not. Leaving the country on the 20th so just depends on time.
IG: zero.given
By
Are you aware of the current works being done in the area? Fences fixed, paths added, making it more 'family friendly'.
urbex.com.au
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
timdole wrote:
09 Feb 2017, 6:05 pm
Are you aware of the current works being done in the area? Fences fixed, paths added, making it more 'family friendly'.
I guess I am now. Please tell me they've not blocked anything off.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
It's been about 2 months since I was last there, but they are basically turning it into a "legal" park, with big signs & wheelchair accessible footpaths. I believe the plan was to have it open to the public during the day, then lock it up at night. I'm not sure if the works are finished or still going, when it will be open blahblah so I'd suggest having a look to see whats going on.

As far as tunnel access, no idea as it often changes but I'd assume they wouldn't want easy public access
urbex.com.au
By
timdole wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 6:32 am
It's been about 2 months since I was last there, but they are basically turning it into a "legal" park, with big signs & wheelchair accessible footpaths. I believe the plan was to have it open to the public during the day, then lock it up at night. I'm not sure if the works are finished or still going, when it will be open blahblah so I'd suggest having a look to see whats going on.

As far as tunnel access, no idea as it often changes but I'd assume they wouldn't want easy public access
That's a pain. Those bunkers have become my regular Sydney accommodation! I was last there Australia day and they had put a gated fence in just by the car park. Didn't notice any other signs of work but I didn't go right the way around.
Hood Rich
By
Looks like I should be able to make it too, will confirm a little closer to the date though.
By
Sounds good, I should be able to make it.
By
I was really looking forward to this but I double checked and I have a tribe of 5 that weekend. Somehow I mixed up which weekend their dad has them and he wont play nice and take them for me. Hopefully I can come another time :(
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Just so it is clear. This is Saturday the 18th March, not the 10th. Sorry for any confusion.
By
This will be postponed till better weather. With news reports saying the weather will be particularly bad I don't want to be hauling crap around in the wet.
By
Panic! wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 5:07 pm
This will be postponed till better weather. With news reports saying the weather will be particularly bad I don't want to be hauling crap around in the wet.
Fair call mate. Hopefully we can try again soon :)
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
keep me posted...
Ill see what i can do about being visible for a day.. :p
By
Well, that was a great weekend. More rain than Sydney has seen for ages and I managed to bog my unboggable 4 wheel drive in a mere puddle (okay it was a big puddle) on the highway as I crept past other bogged cars.
Should have stayed at home.

Yes, we'll do this some other time.
By
Im kind of happy the weather was crappy because I couldnt come. Hopefully when you reschedule I can 😊
 Post a reply
Go