Login RegisterFAQ
Spring / Summer overnighter expo to the south
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
On the recent Sydney Expo there was talk of a Spring or Summer expo south to do the big funnel. You know the one. It would have to be in warmer weather as the roads are closed over winter (I think/have researched).

There was also talk of a Melbourne Expo over a long weekend.

I'm a logistics sort of person so I think along the lines of how to plan these sort of things. The overnighter would be easy. Start in Sydney somewhere, stop over in Golburn and Canberra for highlights, proceed to location, explore, photograph, do no harm,. Then stay overnight somewhere and proceed back the next day possibly via the coast. People could arrange car pools etc. Accomodation would be tents, cars, local hotels, whatever was avaliable. There is a youth hostel about an hour or so from the final destination.

A Melbourne expo would be a bit more involved. Sure people can fly or bus it down, and that's easy, but then you need transport at the other end. Driving is a bit more involved, but can be done. Me personally, I'd prefer to drive because then have transport and accommodation at the other end. Thankfully my transport has 8 seats so that can make it easy at Melbourne for those who choose to fly.

I'd see that trip working this way:
On the last working night before a long weekend people from Sydney, Canberra, whatever drive to an overnight stop somewhere on the Hume. On the first day of the long weekend the overlanders continue south into Melbourne and get in about 12. Meeting point could either be in the city, at the airport or Southern Cross railway station. Those who fly in can be picked up as would Melbourne members who want to participate. It would be an ideal opportunity to meet and greet. Sites are explored. A suggested overnight stop location would be down near Point Nepean so we can explore the bunkers there. Then there could be a full day exploring highlights followed by a day returning to Sydney / Canberra etc.

Of course, all that is suggestion only, with consensus rules followed. That is, the members decide how this would all be finalised and done. Typically such explorations which are publicly organsised are more about the meet and greet opportunity than pure exploration and as in the past the main targets are legal explores with opportunity for sub groups to explore specific sites towards the end of the expo.

Of course this opens up the future possability of other interstate expos to Brisbane, Adelaide etc and one from Melb to Syd.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I would be interested in the melbourne leg and happy to help organize the logistics if needed
IG: zero.given
By
I would be very down for both expos mentioned
Hood Rich
By
I expect there will be more interest closer to the date / warmer weather. But do people have a general interest in this sort of expo?
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
id be interested in driving to melb from radelaide
never die wondering ;)
By
Myself and Lurker would be keen for this...
By
It's a long drive,
We were there this time last year, plenty to do,
Would you be abseiling it or just looking?
By
Nick wrote:It's a long drive,
The funnel? Me, just looking. I am afraid of heights :shock:
Strangely I'm not afraid of heights in planes and have been known to flip them up on weird angles so I can see the ground better.
By
Panic! wrote:
Nick wrote:It's a long drive,
The funnel? Me, just looking. I am afraid of heights :shock:
Strangely I'm not afraid of heights in planes and have been known to flip them up on weird angles so I can see the ground better.
Wait you're a pilot??!
By
dodger wrote: Wait you're a pilot??!
No, but used to be. Back in the day it was $87 an hour to rent a plane and instructor. I soloed in a Piper Pa28 Cherokee VH-LBL. I was saddened to learn years later that someone crashed it.

I can't afford to be a pilot any more. It's too expensive. But if someone want's to pay I'll happily demonstrate 3 landings and 3 take offs.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Who needs nearmaps when we have panic
There is always a way in.
By
Hidden_world wrote:Who needs nearmaps when we have panic
Hey, I'm not that good.
I got lost.
Twice.
In my entire life.
And once was in London and the other time was in the Paris catacombs and on both occasions it was for less than an hour.

Okay, stuff Nearmaps. ;)

Ps. I have similar thoughts about keys and you.
 Post a reply
Go