Login RegisterFAQ
What lens should I get for rooftop Photography?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hi all ,

So I've been starting to think about getting into rooftop photography and exploring. I don't live too far from Melbourne City so its something I could easily get into.

My current setup Im running is:

Canon 600d Body
Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens
Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens f/3.5
(Side note: I only have the fisheye as I film skating videos aswell)

I need someones assistance in helping me choose the perfect wide angle lens for Rooftop photography. I'd rather not use the fisheye due to its extreme weight and the distortion it puts on the photos and videos you take.

If you have any suggestions they would be very appreciated

(Ill also drop a picture of my setup down below)

Cheers guys

By
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

Ive done all of my rooftops with just this lens and a 50mm and it is the best one I can recommend. Super sharp, fast, and really the wider the better so 10mm is pre great. Also, budget friendly. I can show you some sample pics if you'd like.
IG: zero.given
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
they don't make them any more so unless you can find one (there are some around, more for canon from experience in last couple of weeks), you're looking at $100-150 extra for the f3.5. should be a better lens
By
I'd love to see some sample pics if that's ok? Also , what camera body do you use Vicinity?
By
Here are a few samples:

Taken on a canon 40D, so quite an old camera but still good images for something as basic as my setup.
By
Thanks for the Sample pics Vicinity ,

I think this is the lens im going with.

Also just curious to see , Did you edits these photos at all or are they just a Raw Photo?

Cheers

Haze
By
I really like the 11-24 f/4 L because it is sooo crispy but its helllla expensive. Sigma is best bang for buck by far, plus it isn't a massive loss when you have a building seccy try to grab your camera and break s***.
Kids need to stop lighting things on fire or I'm gonna get arrested.
By
Also there is a tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 is another good option and you can pick one up from teds or digidirect no worries.
Kids need to stop lighting things on fire or I'm gonna get arrested.
By
Haze wrote:Thanks for the Sample pics Vicinity ,

I think this is the lens im going with.

Also just curious to see , Did you edits these photos at all or are they just a Raw Photo?

Cheers

Haze
They are edited with lightroom
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Haze wrote:...
You know what's a better lens than the Sigma? The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It's easily my favourite lens. I'm actually selling mine at the moment, if you're interested. #shamelessPlug

Seriously though, the Tokina is a much better lens, and I'd keep mine if I didn't move camera systems (I went from Canon to Sony). It's a faster lens at f/2.8, great for night shots, and also slightly sharper than the two Sigma lenses.

Some photos taken with the Tokina:

Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Midget wrote:
Love the photo looking down Chatswood station. When was that... 2006-ish?
By
sydnavigator wrote: Love the photo looking down Chatswood station. When was that... 2006-ish?
That sounds about right. One of the more exciting cranes I've climbed.

Actually, it was a lot later than that. Don't remember when exactly.
By
Midget wrote: You know what's a better lens than the Sigma? The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It's easily my favourite lens. I'm actually selling mine at the moment, if you're interested. #shamelessPlug
Are you replacing it with something Midget? I've currently got the all manual Rokinon 14mm for E mount but am waiting patiently for the autofocus version to come out soon!
By
dodger wrote:Are you replacing it with something Midget? I've currently got the all manual Rokinon 14mm for E mount but am waiting patiently for the autofocus version to come out soon!
I'm thinking of picking up a Voigtlander 15mm III in M mount, or just go the full way and get the FE 16-35mm. I need to get some more lighting gear first though, and then before that, I need to fix my car (again, literally had it for one day).
 Post a reply
Go