Login RegisterFAQ
Tips for exploring the Batcave
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I'm planning on going soonish, after my exams. First time in a proper cave unless you count the kilometer long single tunnel next to the house I grew up in, that was drainage from the highway.

I'm planning on finding the entrance a few hours before low tide, waiting until the tide is low enough that I'm not walking in water, then going up it. I'm also going solo as I can't convince my friends to join me

As a first timer, what should I be careful of? How long do I get before I need to leave or drown? I know that if I find the hell cave to avoid it because its s*** to go up for no reward.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
If going in tidal entrances, I would advise:
1) Make sure you are looking at the correct tide chart. Also take into account higher river levels in rivers and creeks if there has been rain or dams are spilling - tide charts are only predictive!
2) Unless you know the location well, only go in on very low tides e.g. around full moon, or even better around new moon.
3) Turn up around 2 hours before low tide, and enter as soon as the water is low enough. Plan to be out earlier than the equivalent time after low tide e.g. if you can enter at 1.5 hours before low tide, aim to be out well before 1.5 hours after high tide (I'd aim for 30 mins earlier).
4) Research non-tidal entrances, for either safer entrance or emergency escape route.
5) Some tidal entrances can be very very slippery. Although I have done some alone, I would not advise it. If you slip and break your leg, you're in big trouble!
6) Wear grippy footwear - e.g reef shoes, volleys, grippy boots.
By
anyone know what to do with the bats?
wasnt quite sure, walked for a bit until they started to hit us and bump into us and turned back because i didnt feel like getting hendra. but am very keen to go back in
By
Wait for them to go out for the evening? What time did you go in? I thought the bat-borne viruseseses were mainly carried by the 2 flying foxes amd not microbats? Likely wrong there..
By
Yeah you don't really need to worry about catching anything from them.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
lyssavirus can be transmitted by most Bats, I have been warned by my daughter, who is a Veterinary Nurse! people at risk of contracting it are:-

bat handlers and researchers
cavers
power-line workers
veterinarians and associated staff
wildlife officers.

Be safe!
UH
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
It's possible of course, but not worth worrying about.

You're more likely to die from an accident involving a horse drawn vehicle.
By
You could always get the rabies vaccine. Australian Bat Lyssavirus can be contracted directly from an infected bat but Hendravirus (at least from what is known) isn't transmitted directly to humans, only contracted from an infected horse.

That's if I'm remembering correctly from my animal science class.
 Post a reply
Go