Login RegisterFAQ
Brisbane/ Gold Coast Tunnels & Abandoned Places
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hi,

I'm looking for some tips on locations in and around Brisbane, Ipswich, Redlands & the Gold Coast area that are 'relativity' safe/accessible. In particular old tunnels, abounded houses, factories, old structures, warehouses etc.

I'd like to keep a database of these uniquely beautiful places (i believe keeping their actual locations secret from the public is a must) as part of a grand plan of mine with some of my connections to protect these from being cemented in, demolished or turned into some new trendy cafe.

If someone who moderates this site or anyone who would like to help with this project please email me - neilmcgregor@me.com

Nmcgregor
By
Perhaps consider posting in the introduction section and contributing to the forums a bit before asking for locations.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2631
By
Pretty much what d0dg3r said.

Out of curiosity, have you had any experience with urban exploration? And what's your 'plan' to preserve these places? Getting trashed is a real threat to locations as well, something which you didn't mention.
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Nmcgregor wrote:Hi,

I'd like to keep a database of these uniquely beautiful places (i believe keeping their actual locations secret from the public is a must) as part of a grand plan of mine with some of my connections to protect these from being cemented in, demolished or turned into some new trendy cafe.
That's pretty selfish.
By
Hey all, thanks for all being so welcoming. I'm a little new to this forum so i apologise if miss any protocol or customs, defiantly pull me up on anything i'll be quick to address it.
Last edited by Nmcgregor on 29 Jan 2016, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Paid Urbexing now there's a thing! like the idea, just not sure if it would be maintained long as "city planners/developers" only think of the $$$, and if a site was used once for filming in 5yrs, it'd have to generate some serious coin for it to remain!!

my 2c

UH
By
It comes down to largely the unique visual appeal & partly accessibility. Something that is just stunning with its own charm like you stepped into another world would survive longevity. Because even just having a variety of these locations to showcase even if they aren't used or one of several places is used for a week of filming in 5 years. Having them are like draw cards & films bring lots of money to the economy.
Last edited by Nmcgregor on 29 Jan 2016, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Nmcgregor wrote:Having them are like draw cards & films bring lots of money to the economy. Councils know this & will protect them perhaps even encouraging further exploration?
I have met people that have tried similar ventures and they simply aren't viable. A couple of small films pays s*** all, whilst building over a site will allow for a real income. It's not economically viable and the council just isn't interested. If you have experience finding locations yourself, then go do it and stop asking for locations on here.
By
I'm not talking about music videos, short films or independent features.
Last edited by Nmcgregor on 29 Jan 2016, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
So essentially you want to gather a database of locations in order to sell them off to movie producers, hence locking the site down for a considerable period during filming? And from there, you claim the council wants to help protect these places, or do you just mean the council will give these producers legal access in exchange for a sum of money?

Sounds dodgy to me. You're in it for your own professional interests, nothing more.
By
-1 Reply with quote Permalink
Yes some sites maybe locked down for a week or so of filming but what is one week out of 52 in the year? & it's only going to be the more easily accessible places. The reason I'm looking to do this is finding a way to protect these locations. In the councils eyes they are small dollars of maintenance fees & employing someone to take care of a place that maybe used, they are looking at the bigger picture that films bring millions of dollars to the economy keeping an abandoned factory or tunnel is a small price to pay. You're too closed minded in the opportunities it brings, you could be paid to search for new locations, people employed as a 'gate keeper' to maintain existing ones & these locations remain pristine. I'm sure people thought the guy who said 'lets turn the catacombs in Paris into a tourist attraction' was nuts, I don't want (or think) it'll ever become that but it was way of protecting something unique. I'm sure anyone reading this would love to become a 'gate keeper'
By
I agree with Phytrix, namely if these locations are as you say "Something that is just stunning with its own charm like you stepped into another world would survive longevity", means that these would be locked, sealed and basically removed from any Urbex scene, not what any urban explorer wants at all! yes we don't want them trashed but, not made inaccessible.

If you are dealing with $100M dollar budget companies as you say, why would come on here trolling for sites/locations, to make it easy for you!! if you are a so called "location scout" then why are you listed as something different on other media sites! Sorry but I hate being taken for an idiot and used for info!

If you mix in circles as high as your credentials say, why are you bothering here! Unless of course you wish to list them, offer them to film companies and allow access to all and sundry for photography as a site of interest for free!! (not going to happen) As with anything that is unique/historical and/or to do with councils usually locks the normal Joe bloggs out of any site, user pays!! as the dollar rules.

Just my 2c worth.
By
Personally, I welcome development. But good luck!
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
tbh tunnel cafes would be great. Only if they have milkshakes tho.
By
Rantallion wrote:tbh tunnel cafes would be great. Only if they have milkshakes tho.
'cos my milkshake brings all the boys and girls to the yard. Let's not be homophobic, 'kay?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Nmcgregor wrote:Yes some sites maybe locked down for a week or so of filming but what is one week out of 52 in the year? & it's only going to be the more easily accessible places. The reason I'm looking to do this is finding a way to protect these locations. In the councils eyes they are small dollars of maintenance fees & employing someone to take care of a place that maybe used, they are looking at the bigger picture that films bring millions of dollars to the economy keeping an abandoned factory or tunnel is a small price to pay. You're too closed minded in the opportunities it brings, you could be paid to search for new locations, people employed as a 'gate keeper' to maintain existing ones & these locations remain pristine. I'm sure people thought the guy who said 'lets turn the catacombs in Paris into a tourist attraction' was nuts, I don't want (or think) it'll ever become that but it was way of protecting something unique. I'm sure anyone reading this would love to become a 'gate keeper'
Unless it's written in contract and witnessed by a solicitor of our choosing then we should treat your request with the utmost suspicion.

And you are paid to do your job and possibly being expensed for it. So drop the selfish attitude and don't ask us for help!

The fact that you're asking here probably means you are struggling at your job anyway.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
@theedge actually that's an unsubstantiated generalisation. It's quite the opposite, im so busy with this work & my own film projects I just don't have as much time to visit these places which is why I am reaching to people here . Paid Urbexing, get paid to do what you love, I know some here are not open to change but I have had several people message me in support &/or finding more info those that are closed minded they'll just be missing out on a missed opportunity.
Last edited by Nmcgregor on 29 Jan 2016, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Nmcgregor wrote: It's quite the opposite, im so busy with this work & my own film projects I just don't have as much time to visit these places which is why I am reaching to people here . Paid Urbexing, get paid to do what you love, I know some here are not open to change but I have had several people message me in support &/or finding more info those that are closed minded they'll just be missing out on a missed opportunity.
Ok what I really meant is that you are struggling in trying to find good places to film. But that's what you're paid and expensed for so you should just go out and seek out those places using your own means and not bring money into the urbex equation.

And if it turns out to be a waste, then so be it. But just don't rely on us for intel

You can keep that money. I'm not sure who would be so desperate to take it as money doesn't bring happiness. To be honest I'd rather learn to live rough.
By
At least provide some proof of the council approval/assistance. Won't change my stance on the matter, but it'll at least suppress suspicion.
By
theedge wrote:I'm not sure who would be so desperate to take it as money doesn't bring happiness. To be honest I'd rather learn to live rough.
Money makes me pretty happy.
By
aydun wrote:
theedge wrote:I'm not sure who would be so desperate to take it as money doesn't bring happiness. To be honest I'd rather learn to live rough.
Money makes me pretty happy.
Now we know ....

:lol:

Just like to also add when something is too good to be true it usually is.
By
Nmcgregor wrote:'m sure people thought the guy who said 'lets turn the catacombs in Paris into a tourist attraction' was nuts
We're explorers, not tourists.

Epic troll though, whoever you are. You had me for a moment.
By
Nmcgregor wrote:Paid Urbexing, get paid to do what you love, I know some here are not open to change but I have had several people message me in support &/or finding more info those that are closed minded they'll just be missing out on a missed opportunity.
Anther thing comes to mind. Anyone doing this "scouting job" will be on tight deadlines, strict requirements on what to find and crazy hours. Not to mention maybe some absurd requests from the film crew. Which results in less freedom and flexibility and possibly less urbex.

Like what was mentioned before - definite trolling.

I think the people who messaged you here also may have "questionable" motives.
By
-1 Reply with quote Permalink
I understand those who are not open to change. But those who are (& I've already been contacted by several), DM & I'm happy to meet in person to discuss. This is NOT trolling, this is legit, remember even explorers where paid back in the day.
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Aahh where were you brave, selfless location preservers when this one was under fire?
I'm sure youse could have convinced woolies not to knock it down for a coupla thousand a years worth of filum shoots. Definitely worth more than a Supermarkesters and gym to them
 Post a reply
Go