Login RegisterFAQ
Lightroom Workflows
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
So, I've been using the Lightroom trial for a bit over a week now, I haven't been out to shoot anything new yet but was curious about workflows with the application.

Currently my process is..
  • Put SD card in puter/lappy
  • Import with Adobe Bridge to my storage location (NAS->Cloudy Cloud)
  • Use Adobe Bridge to browse and vet images
  • Use Photoshop ACR to prep images into photoshop
If using Lightroom, I imagine I'd be drastically changing my process - tips?
By
Not sure if I completely understood your question, although after plugging in your SD card, you can import straight into the Lightroom library. Personally, I just move my files to an organised images folder, upload to Lightroom from there, and then export once I've finished editing into an edited images folder. This way, I can get my SD card out of my computer ASAP so I don't forget it for my next explore, and plus it also serves as a back up (seeing as the location of my images folder is automatically backed up by a cloud storage system).
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
The whole 'catalog' concept is just putting me off I think... does Lightroom work off the existing files or does it create duplicates once you import them?
By
Crispex wrote:The whole 'catalog' concept is just putting me off I think... does Lightroom work off the existing files or does it create duplicates once you import them?
It creates duplicates, so don't worry about ruining old photos :)
By
phytrix wrote:
Crispex wrote:The whole 'catalog' concept is just putting me off I think... does Lightroom work off the existing files or does it create duplicates once you import them?
Ouch, there goes ~170GB. I think I need to learn to delete things...
By
Crispex wrote:
phytrix wrote:
Ouch, there goes ~170GB. I think I need to learn to delete things...
I'm not entirely sure of the process, but perhaps it only creates the duplicate once you export, if that makes sense?
Like, it works off the initial file but doesn't make any actual changes to the file itself, it just records what settings you wish to apply to said file. But yeah, I'm not sure on the schematics of it
By
phytrix wrote: I'm not entirely sure of the process, but perhaps it only creates the duplicate once you export, if that makes sense?
Like, it works off the initial file but doesn't make any actual changes to the file itself, it just records what settings you wish to apply to said file. But yeah, I'm not sure on the schematics of it
So essentially what Bridge and ACR does when you edit a RAW file? Saves the developing settings separately keeping the original intact.

My whole aim with this is to hopefully end up with a more organised collection that I can easily go back and find stuff with.
By
Crispex wrote:So essentially what Bridge and ACR does when you edit a RAW file? Saves the developing settings separately keeping the original intact.

My whole aim with this is to hopefully end up with a more organised collection that I can easily go back and find stuff with.
Adobe is a competent business, so I'm assuming they would have designed their software in the most appropriate way. In my opinion, what you listed would be it, but I can't confirm that :p

You can save your files in libraries in Lightroom which allows for more organised collections, but you'll still have to put effort into sorting through files and whatnot.
By
phytrix wrote:you'll still have to put effort into sorting through files and whatnot.
Such is life :( haha

After watching some of the Illustrator\Photoshop CC videos adobe has published on YouTube, I think I'll go back and re-do some of my photos...
 Post a reply
Go