Login RegisterFAQ
The world's largest..... - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Nick wrote:
phytrix wrote: Have they closed the roads already? Sini and I were discussing setting up a trip in the next few weeks as it's the last chance before winter comes, is there any reason why this wouldn't be suitable?
No real reason, you can phone and ask what the road conditions are like, but theses roads don't get used very often, when we went we had the place entirely to ourselves.
Bring a chainsaw and a fairly capable car (or bike) and do the drive, but I wouldn't go organizing all the good folk here to drive 16 hours return without some form of guarantee of something good to see.
Is it possible that you'll be available over the next month or so for a weekend? It'd be good to have someone that knows the place. Else I guess the next best option is to wait until later in the year

Update: Just got word of an early snow season, probably won't be able to get it done until after winter I suppose. :(
Oh well, something to look forward to!
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
Im happy to wait but also im keen to go! I has 4wd, recovery gear, motorbike, chainsaw, And camping equipment. :D
lets see what everyone else thinks!
By
sini wrote:Im happy to wait but also im keen to go! I has 4wd, recovery gear, motorbike, chainsaw, And camping equipment. :D
lets see what everyone else thinks!
I'm in Melbourne anyway and I don't drive so the chances of me been able to come are fairly slim.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
I'm down if it goes ahead. It'd be nice to have a clanner come along who has done this trip before though :)
By
phytrix wrote:I'm down if it goes ahead. It'd be nice to have a clanner come along who has done this trip before though :)
Nick?
By
Echo wrote:
phytrix wrote:I'm down if it goes ahead. It'd be nice to have a clanner come along who has done this trip before though :)
Nick?
If he's down, yeah, but there are also a lot of other members that have done this place. blakjak, I believe dougo, probably Scarecrow, and an abundance of other CC members that may not necessarily be from UEGA.

Might be worth arranging this in cohesion with CC if they/we are interested.
By
phytrix wrote:
Echo wrote:
Nick?
If he's down, yeah, but there are also a lot of other members that have done this place. blakjak, I believe dougo, probably Scarecrow, and an abundance of other CC members that may not necessarily be from UEGA.

Might be worth arranging this in cohesion with CC if they/we are interested.
Mhmmm that's the keyword. If. I don't think they waste time with us on UEGA when it comes to organizing joint expos. There was one CC/UEGA expo I read about a while back. Idk if it even ended up going ahead.
By
Echo wrote:
phytrix wrote:
sini wrote:I'm soooo fkucn keen to do this!!!!
I have a fairly good idea where it is! Lets make a weekend out of it. Anyone keen for a camping trip before the wet season :D
I'm down, assuming I can get a week or so notice. I'm sure we can get a decent sized group together :)
You're in ACT aren't you? Its basically on your doorstep.
I lived in the ACT for four years and as soon as I move to Melbourne I hear about this now?!

I've seen this before, but I had no idea it was close to home at the time...
By
I'm glad this got bumped because I want to do it still. Just about the right time of year too.
By
Gosh seems so long ago I was still trying to find any excuse to throw a post up on UEGA and thus threads like this made an appearance..... Good times.
By
sini wrote:I'm glad this got bumped because I want to do it still. Just about the right time of year too.
I'd be keen to drive down for it, maybe Nick can organise a trip (seeing as he's the gear guy)?
By
I'd love to go there but lack the gear for the 100m descent
IG: zero.given
By
CafeCSK wrote:I'd love to go there but lack the gear for the 100m descent
Sure abseiling in looks fun but you can always just walk around to the outflow and walk in :)
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Echo wrote:
Sure abseiling in looks fun but you can always just walk around to the outflow and walk in :)
It's a climb into the outflow. It's got a 5m high kick at the end of the pipe to divert water upwards so the water will loose some of it's momentum as it goes out of the pipe, so it won't just obliterate everything in it's path.
They actually made a "scale" model of the whole thing so they could test this:

Better idea of scale:
And yes. I did fall off a few times.
By
Nick wrote:
Echo wrote:
It's a climb into the outflow. It's got a 5m high kick at the end of the pipe to divert water upwards so the water will loose some of it's
No kidding! Looks like this might be somewhere I'll visit soon just given the sheer size of it.
IG: zero.given
By
That's cray.
 Post a reply
Go