35-45
7%
Above 45
9%

Total votes: 44
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hi all
Urbex for me is very interesting as I believe there is no real age barrier placed upon it.. I am in my early 30's and thought I was too old for this, but I am constantly meeting people around my own age and even older who love it. so what is everyone else's thoughts? Is urbex age specific?
By
I wouldn't think its geared towards a particular age group. Obviously at the moment I'm young and energetic but as I get older I might start to slow things down a bit or my interest might wane a touch. But having said that I've explored with people ranging in age from early 20s to mid 50s so I don't think urbex has anything to do with age.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
Started exploring at 17. Will finish when I have no time left in my schedule (work/family etc).
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Midget wrote:Started exploring at 17. Will finish when I have no time left in my schedule (work/family etc).
I like to use urbex as an escape from family and close friends. :)

As for age, some people slow down, others speed up.
And there's more to urbex than just crawling belly deep in a 3ft RCP, there's the research, history, socializing, and all that other nerdy stuff most of us love.
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I started at age 22 and am now 58. I still enjoy it and I can afford better camera and abseiling gear these days.
By
peterh13 wrote:I started at age 22 and am now 58. I still enjoy it and I can afford better camera and abseiling gear these days.
Om nom nom, camera gear. Going back to the same sites with new gear and better skills makes for an interesting experience as well.
By
I think exploration is for everyone, but you have to be young at heart! It would seem that it's a relatively new activity, at least in terms of popularisation, and also one that at times is quite physically demanding. Couple that with work/family commitments that tend to arise as you grow older, and it's no surprise that the younger generation quantitatively dominates the scene. I don't think it's age specific, though, simply a set of demands/conditions which, in general, cater better to a younger audience.
Last edited by phytrix on 05 May 2015, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
Maybe the mods can add a poll to this thread, it'd be interesting to know the current demographic of the urbex population
By
Fudoh wrote:Maybe the mods can add a poll to this thread, it'd be interesting to know the current demographic of the urbex population
Good idea. Added poll :)
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Nuggs wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Maybe the mods can add a poll to this thread, it'd be interesting to know the current demographic of the urbex population
Good idea. Added poll :)
My bet's on 18-25 for le victory :)
By
I think there is quite a few below 18 but they're too busy on instagram and stuff looking for likes, followers and fame.
By
I think the exploration side of things is not age specific, but vandalising and destroying places is something you grow out of. It seems as well that the younger crowd want to show off so they are more in the spot light then the more mature explorers
Just as evolution intended, I was designed by DFEX..

IG: @social_dfex
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfexone/
By
DFEX wrote:I think the exploration side of things is not age specific, but vandalising and destroying places is something you grow out of. It seems as well that the younger crowd want to show off so they are more in the spot light then the more mature explorers
True that. When I was younger my mates and I put our fair sahre of bricks through windows of abandoned buildings and lit a fire or 3. Was never into graffiti, but if somebody had a texta or spray paint I'd go along with peer group pressure. :)
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Midget wrote:
peterh13 wrote:I started at age 22 and am now 58. I still enjoy it and I can afford better camera and abseiling gear these days.
Om nom nom, camera gear. Going back to the same sites with new gear and better skills makes for an interesting experience as well.
My first proper Urbex outing was when I was still a serving member of 1 Commando Company. We were based on Middle Head. I'd been into the old fort before
but this day we were setting some charges around the exterior of the place (thats right, explosive charges) for a TV series that Grany Page (professional stuntman, former Commando and total idiot) was shooting there.

In all the times I'd been there I hadn't realised just how beautiful the place was. I had a little 110 camera that I used to carry about with me and took some pics. I've been back to the same spot several times over the years and each times Ive had better camera gear and am always suprised at how much better the quality of the pics are with the more modern cameras and better photographic skills.
By
blakjak wrote:
DFEX wrote:I think the exploration side of things is not age specific, but vandalising and destroying places is something you grow out of. It seems as well that the younger crowd want to show off so they are more in the spot light then the more mature explorers
True that. When I was younger my mates and I put our fair sahre of bricks through windows of abandoned buildings and lit a fire or 3. Was never into graffiti, but if somebody had a texta or spray paint I'd go along with peer group pressure. :)
I use to graff so i know too well. I hardly ever bombed, but when I found an anbando that was a different story. I soon grew out of though and started to admire the story the places told rather than the fun I had vandalising.

By
Age is just a number; the desire to explore is a personality trait. Whether it lasts your whole lifetime or just a few years depends on your experiences in between.
My father took me to my first abandoned theme park at the age of 10 but I didn't start exploring properly until I was old enough to no longer worry about getting in trouble for my actions or it affecting my livelihood.
By
phytrix wrote: My bet's on 18-25 for le victory :)
..and 25-35 has come round the final corner and beaten the favourite to the post! :)

By
DFEX wrote:
..and 25-35 has come round the final corner and beaten the favourite to the post! :)
That does surprise me :d Guess it makes sense though, considering most young'ns have their own crew to explore with
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
phytrix wrote:
DFEX wrote:
That does surprise me :d Guess it makes sense though, considering most young'ns have their own crew to explore with
Join my crew. Fuly Sik Midnight Batman Explorers. Benefits include instagram followers, cool photos taken by a professional photographer (but he brings only his iPhone because his professional camera is only for professional work) and best locations ever.
By
Midget wrote:Join my crew. Fuly Sik Midnight Batman Explorers. Benefits include instagram followers, cool photos taken by a professional photographer (but he brings only his iPhone because his professional camera is only for professional work) and best locations ever.
Cool mang I'm down, send me the location list. #fulysikmidnightbatmanexplorerzzz
By
Midget wrote:
phytrix wrote:

Join my crew. Fuly Sik Midnight Batman Explorers. Benefits include instagram followers, cool photos taken by a professional photographer (but he brings only his iPhone because his professional camera is only for professional work) and best locations ever.
LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By
Midget wrote: Join my crew. Fuly Sik Midnight Batman Explorers. Benefits include instagram followers, cool photos taken by a professional photographer (but he brings only his iPhone because his professional camera is only for professional work) and best locations ever.
Ooh can I join? Please. Can we have codenames too? Can I be Batman and you can be Robin? Please. Maybe I'll even let you be Batman if you let me in, but that will depend on your behaviour. Thanks Midget I love you forever.
By
Echo wrote:Can I be Batman and you can be Robin? Please. Maybe I'll even let you be Batman if you let me in.
:lol:
You're definitely Robin.
By
Midget wrote:Join my crew. Fuly Sik Midnight Batman Explorers. Benefits include instagram followers, cool photos taken by a professional photographer and best locations ever.
Please tell me you all wear costumes too ...
By
kjwx wrote:
Midget wrote:Join my crew. Fuly Sik Midnight Batman Explorers. Benefits include instagram followers, cool photos taken by a professional photographer and best locations ever.
Please tell me you all wear costumes too ...
Of course.... What kind of stupid question is that? We wouldn't be Fuly Sik without our sexy costumes.
 Post a reply
Go