Login RegisterFAQ
Looking for opinions here
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hi All,

What's your views on posting pics from up to 15 years ago of places across Australia that (a lot of) are now demolished and gone?

Should I consider posting them for interest's sake and/or historical value?

Most are on paper or film negatives, and will take a while to get into digital format, but should I bother?

A lot of interesting pics from old industrial landmarks that fell victim the wrecking ball.

What do you think?

Cheers...
The explorer in the west................
By
I say do it, even more reason to post them up since therye no longer explorable :)
By
May aswell have a digital copy as hardcopys can fade, would be interesting to see too.
AXEL
By
Agreed axel :) if you want to keep them, get them digital sooner rather than later! Some people will be interested and some won't :) those that are not, need not look! ;)
By
Thanks for the feedback,

So far, 3 for and none against, all good...

There's a lot from Geelong Cement and the old Cockle Creek lead smelter, plus many others from other interesting places along the way.

Agreed on the point that hard copies fade in time, good call.

I'll get them happening eventually....

Cheers from Bangers!
By
Crazytrain1978 wrote:Agreed axel :) if you want to keep them, get them digital sooner rather than later! Some people will be interested and some won't :) those that are not, need not look! ;)
x2
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Yes, post up old photos. Good to see for their historic value.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Do it now!

;)
By
Definitely

I've already started a thread for the Glebe Tram sheds - http://www.uega.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1470

In addition, I also agreed to show some abandoned places to a couple of new members here who told me they've been to the tram sheds, but haven't shared which I'm a bit miffed about and now realise my mistake. So I'm still waiting for them to post (you know who you are :))...
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Also In favour here.
Absolutely no harm in documenting a site that is gone, that's for sure. Only problem I see with it is I'll get jealous :mrgreen:
I Used to have a heap of really cool pics from the Tennyson power station which we took over several explores in about the 2 years prior to its untimely end. They got lost when my mate who had the originals, and the negatives in the same packet, moved house :cry:
Actually, come to think of it, I remember spotting cc graff from about the mid 90's at the top of the eastern coal hopper. Know anyone who could furbish us with some pics Doug?
By
yeah, do it! It would be great to see old sites and there's no hard if they no longer exist.
By
Chop chop , less thinking more uploading :D
By
I don't mind getting the ball rolling.

Here are some photos from Adelaide's Electra House from January 2010.

Electra House was the first building in Adelaide to be fitted with an electric passenger lift, installed in 1905. From 1921 to 1949, all telegrams to and from overseas passed through this building, the office of the Eastern Extension telegraph company; it was renamed Electra House in 1940 and housed a telecommunications museum from 1976 to 1992.

It has now been transformed into an entertainment facility and the front door to the $750 million City Central development opposite the Adelaide Town Hall.

Some heritage restoration works have been completed, including construction of a mansard roof in accordance with original documentation, and basement demolition and waterproofing.

(All information Googled from various sources).

By
Looks like a fancy mansion. :D Nice photos.
By
The uploads have finally begun... :arrow:
By
Great photos crane! Loving the look of that building.
By
Here's something else that isn't around anymore. This was the old Greater Union cinemas on Pitt St. It used to stand in the location where the new ANZ tower is. I wish I had taken more photos of the place. It was demolished (along with all the other small buildings nearby) around 2010/2011.

It had a cool entry method. Around the back was a caged area with bins locked inside. While standing on top of the bins someone would remove a grille in the ceiling and crawl through the air vent, then drop through a hole in the ceiling inside and unlock the fire doors for everyone else.

By
Scarecrow wrote:It had a cool entry method. Around the back was a caged area with bins locked inside. While standing on top of the bins someone would remove a grille in the ceiling and crawl through the air vent, then drop through a hole in the ceiling inside and unlock the fire doors for everyone else.
Don't take this the wrong way, but imagining that epic entry has made me a little wet. ;)
By
Looking through my photos I was trying to find other photos of Pitt St Cinemas but couldn't find them. Hoping I still have them somewhere though...

While looking for them I did however come across some old scans of another place which isn't around anymore. I regret not having something better than an old film camera so I could have taken nicer photos (and more) when this building was still around. It was the Waterloo Incinerator, which used to stand in the large empty field at Green Square/Zetland. The incinerator was decommissioned in 1997, and demolished in late 2007.

Of all the places I've explored the incinerator was one of my absolute favourites. The buildings were huge with multiple floors of machinery and broken walkways, there was a massive chimney which was climbable for an excellent view of the whole city, and the most impressive part was the enormous pit which all the garbage was put into. It must have been over 50m long, and just as deep. There were two overhead cranes each with a bucket which was around 3m tall.

It was a sad time when demolition began.

By
Does this make pictures of a certain recently demolished toothbrush factory applicable?
By
This is from O'Reilly's Bonded Stores in QLD that are currently being demolished to make way for another soul less glass and steel tower.

1. [img]http://i57.tin%20ypic.%20com/241l2yq.jpg[/img]

Next door to O'Reilly's is Hotpoint House, which has some pretty epic graffiti in it and this is coming from someone who kind of hates graffiti ...

2. [img]http://i60.tiny%20pic.com/6t05kz.jpg[/img]

I also found out that this well known house amongst Brisbanites has been demolished in the last month :( Kind of upsetting, it had a view over the entire city and you could watch the sun rise. It was pleasant.
[img]http://i61.tinyp%20ic.com/n%20x6nhg.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Kto on 25 Feb 2015, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Catching wrote:Does this make pictures of a certain recently demolished toothbrush factory applicable?
Yes, but there's already quite a few photos from there posted in other threads. Post some if you have any good ones though!
 Post a reply
Go