Login RegisterFAQ
Fictional Facilities
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
So many movies with unexpected urbex undertones :shock:

This is from Spirited Away. It features exploration of an "abandoned theme-park" and infiltration of a bath-house. :P

It would make for an awesome place to explore... I'm not that into anime, but it's also a great movie.

Any other movies with amazing, less-than-real locations?
By
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
By
some many movies and games use urbex style locations aydun

its so great :)
-
--> Darkday Flickr - Urbex Photos - Albums -- ---> Our Explores Posted List - 2 - UEGA
By
The cold never bothered me anyway :lol:
By
Dynamite wrote:The cold never bothered me anyway :lol:
Especially when there's not a footprint to be seen. :P
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
In which case I guess I'll let it go.......
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Another one of Miyazaki's films (the mastermind director behind Spirited Away and the majority of other Studio Ghibli films), Laputa: Castle in the Sky (Tenkū no Shiro Rapyuta), features an entire abandoned city. In When Marnie Was There (again, Ghibli), an abandoned villa is found. Hell, even in Nausicaä of fhe Valley of the Wind (yes, Ghibli) there are tonnes of abandoned forests that have forgotten underground parts, and even a gigantic abandoned bug shells (kind of like a cicada shell). And those are just off the top of my head. Studio Ghibli animations are the place to go if you're looking for movies with an urbex element. :)
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Spirited Away was my favourite childhood movie. Now I'm more into Laputa. It's such a shame that Studio Ghibli is closing. Most of Miyazaki's movies have elements of steampunk, science and exploration. In fact, I think steampunk might have been one of the many things that got me into urbex.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Thinking of stuff Steampunnkish and Urbexish, Dishonored is a pretty good game
quis est qui nesciat historiam?
By
Also, the Fallout games are pretty cool if you're into Post-Apocalypse stuff and also plenty of exploring abandoned power plants, sewers, etc.
By
Will-043 wrote:Thinking of stuff Steampunnkish and Urbexish, Dishonored is a pretty good game
Dishonored is really good. There needs to be a Skyrim X Dishonored game. ;)
By
Midget wrote:
Will-043 wrote:Thinking of stuff Steampunnkish and Urbexish, Dishonored is a pretty good game
Dishonored is really good. There needs to be a Skyrim X Dishonored game. ;)
Definitely needs to happen, it'll give Bethesda something else to do apart from spread rumors of another Fallout game
By
I never finished Fallout NV. I loved the free roam FPS aspect though, there needs to be something like that but more of a COD4 / Sniper Elite gameplay.
By
Midget wrote:I never finished Fallout NV. I loved the free roam FPS aspect though, there needs to be something like that but more of a COD4 / Sniper Elite gameplay.
I have finished it with a few different endings, but I avoid the main mission/quest as much as I possibly can, spend most of my time hunting down the legion in NV or the White-Legs in Zion :) the free roam aspect is one of the reasons I go for games like fallout and skyrim, being locked into a quest line gets boring after a while. And sniping Fiends with the Anti-Materiel Rifle and .50 BMG explosive rounds is pretty fun.

Haven't tried Sniper Elite yet, would you recommend it?
By
Will-043 wrote:I have finished it with a few different endings, but I avoid the main mission/quest as much as I possibly can, spend most of my time hunting down the legion in NV or the White-Legs in Zion :) the free roam aspect is one of the reasons I go for games like fallout and skyrim, being locked into a quest line gets boring after a while. And sniping Fiends with the Anti-Materiel Rifle and .50 BMG explosive rounds is pretty fun.

Free roaming is fun. (Y) Sniper Elite isn't quite free roam, but if you're into stealthy FPS shooting, it's completely worth it. I need a free roam Sniper Elite. Haha.

Alternatively, download the demo of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Not even kidding, the demo is actually all you need. I finally got the full game some time later, and while it was worth the experience, it's not quite as free roaming as the demo/first mission.

Demo hint: avoid the main questline and explore around for sniper rifles. ;)
By
Midget wrote:
Will-043 wrote:I have finished it with a few different endings, but I avoid the main mission/quest as much as I possibly can, spend most of my time hunting down the legion in NV or the White-Legs in Zion :) the free roam aspect is one of the reasons I go for games like fallout and skyrim, being locked into a quest line gets boring after a while. And sniping Fiends with the Anti-Materiel Rifle and .50 BMG explosive rounds is pretty fun.

Free roaming is fun. (Y) Sniper Elite isn't quite free roam, but if you're into stealthy FPS shooting, it's completely worth it. I need a free roam Sniper Elite. Haha.

Alternatively, download the demo of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Not even kidding, the demo is actually all you need. I finally got the full game some time later, and while it was worth the experience, it's not quite as free roaming as the demo/first mission.

Demo hint: avoid the main questline and explore around for sniper rifles. ;)
Just being able to do your own thing is great - until you get thrown into a skyrim jail - or find yourself in the path of your own mini nuke - but still fun nonetheless. Will definitely check flashpoint out on the weekend :)
By
I feel like starting Skyrim again. Should totally start a Skyrim playthrough with a couple people on here for fun. :D
By
Midget wrote:I feel like starting Skyrim again. Should totally start a Skyrim playthrough with a couple people on here for fun. :D
I'd gotten a fair ways with it on the xbox, but then I moved out and in the process my younger bro "commandeered" it :x
Been wanting to start it up again on the PS3 though :)

Loved the crossbow with a flaming soul trap enchantment on it :) only problem I had was keeping it stocked with enough bolts for killing s*** dead :(
By
I don't think I've ever enchanted a crossbow. Hm, might start it up again on the computer. I like to start a new character each time I go back to Skyrim. :D I think my Skyrim's all set up from last time though, so I don't have to spend ages downloading crap to get it decent.
By
Midget wrote:I don't think I've ever enchanted a crossbow. Hm, might start it up again on the computer. I like to start a new character each time I go back to Skyrim. :D I think my Skyrim's all set up from last time though, so I don't have to spend ages downloading crap to get it decent.

Starting from scratch is the only thing I'm dreading when I do start it up again though, but it shouldn't take long to get back to where I was :o
The crossbow has to be my favorite ranged weapon, second to Auriel's Bow (arrows turn day into night if soaked in vampire blood or set enemies on fire if left plain), don't mind a pair of dragon bone or daedric axes either for close range work either :)

Used to spend a lot of time exploring shipwrecks in the far north of the map once I got my hands on one of the dragon priest's masks too, only thing annoying about being underwater is that you can't do much about the slaughterfish unless you have the ebony mail, but still takes a while for it's poison effect to kill them off :|
By
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Will-043 wrote:Starting from scratch is the only thing I'm dreading when I do start it up again though, but it shouldn't take long to get back to where I was :o
The crossbow has to be my favorite ranged weapon, second to Auriel's Bow (arrows turn day into night if soaked in vampire blood or set enemies on fire if left plain), don't mind a pair of dragon bone or daedric axes either for close range work either :)

Used to spend a lot of time exploring shipwrecks in the far north of the map once I got my hands on one of the dragon priest's masks too, only thing annoying about being underwater is that you can't do much about the slaughterfish unless you have the ebony mail, but still takes a while for it's poison effect to kill them off :|
Yeah, starting from scratch with archery at base level makes me ceebs life. I also play with uncapped levels so on my main playthrough, I had ridiculous levels of archery. <3

In Oblivion, you could attack underwater. There's probably a mod for that. Get Skyrim on PC. :P
By
Never played Oblivion, and I only got Skyrim after one of my apprentices started raving about about it a few years ago :shock:

But that being said about being underwater with the ebony mail, any enemies withing a certain radius of you while wearing it will also be poisoned. Useful for killing off any hostile that's anywhere near you, and with a high enough sneak, you don't even have to draw a weapon, just sit back and let the armor do it for you :)
By
Hm, I have to give that a try now. I assume the enemies will be alerted and start searching for you? Or is sneak just for getting close.
By
With a high enough sneak level you should be able to get close enough and they'll just start dropping dead (won't happen straight away). Don't remember if it'll alert others in the area or not.
 Post a reply
Go