Login RegisterFAQ
Nearmap review - personal account
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Not sure if anyone knew, but nearmap had offered special personal membership access for 99 bucks a year and double that for extra 250mb bandwidth.

I took the cheapskate 50mb option just to check out what you get.

Frankly I was a bit disappointed with the coverage. Why it doesn't cover parts of the Blue mountains after Katoomba and everything beyond west to Bathurst really confused me. Even the road routes aren't mapped. I would have thought these areas would benefit from a fire and search/rescue or even farming/grazing point of view. Fortunately most of the regional centres are covered - searching for Goulburn and Orange get the latest maps. Or maybe it's just nearmap not unlocking the maps for personal accounts??

Furthermore the bandwidth gets chewed up quite quickly after a couple of searches. So you really need to know what you are looking for first before diving into the maps. Best thing is to use Google or Bing maps to scout an area you want to see before getting a more updated and better quality image from nearmap.

There is a free membership option for people working or studying at tertiary institutions. I will let one of the members who took that option to go over that later (won't name who :)). I'm not sure if that extends to TAFE colleges.

I'll have a few screen grabs of the interface posted later.

Overall I love the image quality but I won't be renewing my membership for this due to coverage. There are better options coming down the pipeline if you search hard enough. Nearmap - get the coverage sorted or make it available for all accounts.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
theedge wrote:Why it doesn't cover parts of the Blue mountains after Katoomba and everything beyond west to Bathurst really confused me.
Well that's annoying, but to be fair apart from the highway and a few roads that peel off it, there ain't much up here that is worth their time mapping. I too might investigate this site though...
urbex.com.au
By
Yeah I was referring to the highway which isn't mapped.

Anyway here's the screenshot of the interface of a random map. Quite detailed but obviously doesn't avoid the need to actually visit the place if you were checking a small target such as an abandoned house.

The multiview also shows the 3d view of the map.

In case you were wondering the above image is floating around the dunlop factory which is getting demolished. I could zoom in but that would waste more bandwidth (each zoom takes 5mb). The pic above has confirmed it :(.
By
trying to find something on google this morning and its coming up slow and crap, the wife says, oh let me log into nearmap for you, it'll be way clearer. Turns out her work gives them individual logins... been holding out on me!
so who wants the details? maybe not, username is her email (First.Last@organisation.au.)
By
No+Pro wrote:trying to find something on google this morning and its coming up slow and crap, the wife says, oh let me log into nearmap for you, it'll be way clearer. Turns out her work gives them individual logins... been holding out on me!
so who wants the details? maybe not, username is her email (First.Last@organisation.au..)
*slowly raises hand*
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
I'm guess the password is "password"? #1337hacker
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Midget wrote:I'm guess the password is "password"? #1337hacker
Get with the times dude. It's obviously "password1", number requirements are the epitome of modern technology. Psht :geek:
By
By
Midget pls your image is completely contradictory to your name :d My entire screen has been absorbed by said jpg file... this is it for me, friends.
By
Got a bit carried away. Just fyi I haven't been asked for the tab ...yet.

By
Meh, Google Earth does a good enough job.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Only thing is google earth is hopelessly out of date and doesn't have birds eye view. But street view has been updated somewhat.

There are other free ones as well if you search hard enough.
By
Crispex wrote:Meh, Google Earth does a good enough job.
Here is a really amazing construction site of this soon to be shopping centre on Google Maps, if anyone wants to go check it out ;)
Check out the size of that crane!
By
havent used google earth but with nearmap at work and now home for free - why bother! Bris has a regular enough update cycle. Tasmania was last done in 2011 but a week before we went down they did a new image.. crossed a few potential sites off my list. sadface. saved me driving around puzzled i guess
By
aydun wrote:Here is a really amazing construction site of this soon to be shopping centre on Google Maps, if anyone wants to go check it out ;)
Check out the size of that crane!
Back in the day when I had a good camera, but s*** photography skills.

By
No more Nearmap for me :'(
By
aydun wrote:No more Nearmap for me :'(
Used up your bandwidth?
By
Lost employee status? Damn. Sad day.
By
I had no bandwidth limits haha!

'Had'. :(

d0dg3r is correct.
By
bugger, hope you find something soon, something up this way perhaps?
By
I wish. Still employed in the blue state. My old Brisbane job finally removed me.
By
aydun wrote:I wish. Still employed in the blue state. My old Brisbane job finally removed me.
Go back to uni ;)
 Post a reply
Go