Login RegisterFAQ
Took a photo of the moon...
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink

Used a Canon 7D with a 100-400mm USM lens (zoomed to 400mm). I plan to take more photo's around the 8th Oct, as there will be a "blood" lunar eclipse. I will add them here when I shoot it.
"Did you know urine is sterile? That's right, you can drink it."
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Impressive.
By
i love full moons
-
--> Darkday Flickr - Urbex Photos - Albums -- ---> Our Explores Posted List - 2 - UEGA
By
I agree DeScent, That will be next week with the lunar eclipse mwahaha.. Still, half moon has it's benefits too because it captures the shadowing on the craters.
By
That really is an amazing shot! Have never been able to take pics of planets, or star trails yet, but it's on the list to learn how .....
By
Cool shot.

I think the 70-300mm L IS USM lens is slightly better quality and more portable than the 100-400 L lens although it has less zoom. I'll see if I can dig out my moon shot using that for comparison.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Pussinboots wrote:That really is an amazing shot! Have never been able to take pics of planets, or star trails yet, but it's on the list to learn how .....
@Pussinboots - Yeah I want to buy a telescope and hook it up to the sensor, using a t-ring to the eyepeice of a decent telescope. My ultimate goal is to have a picture of Saturn with kit. They say that if you are going to get into astrophotography, to use a "German Equatorial Mount" so that nothing rotates in the long exposure shots. Im also looking into getting the filter in my 7D replaced with a different one that allows H-Alpha light through, so that I can take pictures of nebulae and pictures through a H-Alpha solar telescope (the stock Infra Red filter cuts out most of the H-Alpha spectrum). <- That's a long term goal though, because it all costs $$$...
By
Excellent moon photo. Once took a (not quite so good) moon shot by placing a compact camera lens against an astronomy telescope somewhere in the Atacama Desert.
By
Light Knight wrote:Excellent moon photo. Once took a (not quite so good) moon shot by placing a compact camera lens against an astronomy telescope somewhere in the Atacama Desert.
You can do that at some cafe in Mount Gravatt upon nightfall. Astro Pete. I'm not sure if he is still around doing that though...
By
disappointing cloud around tonight, spewin..
By
Me too. I got a couple of shots before clouds came and ruined it. But some people out in blue mountains got some good shots.

Maybe I was wrong about the 70-300mm - the photos didn't get as much detail as I hoped as it might be to do with the greater distance although I swear the it beats the 100-400mm hands down for close up zooms (anything that is less than 2 metres away). Might try hiring a 400mm L instead again.
By
a guy i know from work has also been cursed by clouds tonight, he's sitting there with a canon 600mm with 2x extender going to waste....1200mm of zoom...fwooaarrr
By
haven't even gone outside to look at the moon

edit: I lie, I just saw it from my balcony. I take it the eclipse has passed?
Last edited by Aydun on 08 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
No+Pro wrote:a guy i know from work has also been cursed by clouds tonight, he's sitting there with a canon 600mm with 2x extender going to waste....1200mm of zoom...fwooaarrr
That's gotta hurt

I'll try and upload some shots tomorrow or at least before saturday.
By
<-- Cursed also... Devastated.
By
aydun wrote: edit: I lie, I just saw it from my balcony. I take it the eclipse has passed?
The moon turning red ended at around 10:30 pm. Did you see the Earth's shadow against the moon?

I would have thought you had the best view being more inland than myself. Heard it was clearer inland.

Am guessing the crowd and media at the Syd observatory were totally disappointed.

1. Encouraging start to the night around 9pm with the Earth's shadow. Then nothing but cloud

2. About 9:45pm I think when a clear patch of sky revealed the moon.

3. A few minutes later after more cloud. Really pushing the camera exposure and ISO setting now...

4. Another cloud started passing over. ISO 4000!

5. Wider shot towards the end with the damn clouds.

I should have got a tripod collar for my camera lens as the camera swayed during the whole time.
By
Good shiz.
The moon I saw was like your pic 1 moon.
 Post a reply
Go