Login RegisterFAQ
Sydney rail network - Page 4
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
blakjak wrote:The gong was used as a prop in the movie The Tunnel in 2011, it was still there in mid 2012 (didn't see any scaff), but not quite sure of it's location or status as of now.
If it has been moved, I would say it would have been done so officially...getting that thing out unseen would be almost impossible (weighs a ton).
Tried lifting it once. I'd say it would weigh around 70kg, maybe. The shape of it is awkward to hold.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
blakjak wrote:The gong was used as a prop in the movie The Tunnel in 2011, it was still there in mid 2012 (didn't see any scaff), but not quite sure of it's location or status as of now.
If it has been moved, I would say it would have been done so officially...getting that thing out unseen would be almost impossible (weighs a ton).

I think the gong that was used in the movie was a replica, it was also filmed somewhere else, my guess is a bunker. Image

But it does look very similar to the one in the photo, so your probably correct. Then again if it was there in 2012, who knows.
Haha well in the case it would have been a team effort getting it out!
By
Scarecrow wrote:
Tried lifting it once. I'd say it would weigh around 70kg, maybe. The shape of it is awkward to hold.
Interesting, it probably hasn't been moved then.. cheers

ahh it is an awkward shape & it even looks heavy by just looking at it
By
I think you're correct, Maizniek. The gong used in the movie was not the actual one. It didn't look the same to me, nor the room it was in.
By

It sure looks like the same one...

Then again one (the confirmed original) looks like it has sharper points (not rounded), could be a bad pic.
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
i might be wrong and probably am but i think the bell was used a a air raid siren back in the day
its only ilegal if you get caught
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
hando wrote:i might be wrong and probably am but i think the bell was used a a air raid siren back in the day
I was always under the impression it was used by BBC radio back in the 70s to 'recreate' the sound of Big Ben..
Spades
By
Spades wrote:
hando wrote:i might be wrong and probably am but i think the bell was used a a air raid siren back in the day
I was always under the impression it was used by BBC radio back in the 70s to 'recreate' the sound of Big Ben..
That's one of the leading thoughts, but why wasn't it on a sound stage?

The other one I've heard is it just being an art installation.

The two could be linked.
By
Didn't think I was right
its only ilegal if you get caught
By
Scarecrow wrote:That's one of the leading thoughts, but why wasn't it on a sound stage?
According to the book Ghost Tunnels by John Oakes it states the Big Ben bell noise. I presume that when it was done (mid 1950s) there was no sound stage in Australia capable of producing the same echo.
By
I came across this photo around a year ago, but I only just remembered about it a few days ago.. There's apparently an abandoned freight train tunnel around ******* which was once used as a part of the darling harbour railway line ( never heard of it..) . I was wondering if it's worth taking a look at?

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/29029178@N03/3764783565/

P.s not my photo

---

And I've just put two and two together & I realise where this is. Stupid me haha!
By
maizniek wrote:I came across this photo around a year ago, but I only just remembered about it a few days ago.. There's apparently an abandoned freight train tunnel around ******* which was once used as a part of the darling harbour railway line ( never heard of it..) . I was wondering if it's worth taking a look at?

P.s not my photo

---

And I've just put two and two together & I realise where this is. Stupid me haha!
That is the tunnel which takes the former Darling Harbour branch below Railway Square, it is now the Powerhouse Museum siding, used (rarely) to move locomotives to and from the museum. It is not abandoned, just rarely used. It is also the oldest tunnel on the NSW rail system that is still 'in use'. It was built in the 1850s, but lengthened a few times over the years when Broadway was widened. Also note the 'gauntlet' track in the pic you linked, the tunnel was originally made to have 2 parallel tracks but when they fitted overhead wires for electric trains there wasn't enough clearance so the 2 tracks converged and ran over each other but remained separate (no points).

Funnily enough we visited this tunnel on Fri nite with Titan and the boys.
By
blakjak wrote:
maizniek wrote:I came across this photo around a year ago, but I only just remembered about it a few days ago.. There's apparently an abandoned freight train tunnel around ******* which was once used as a part of the darling harbour railway line ( never heard of it..) . I was wondering if it's worth taking a look at?

P.s not my photo

---

That is the tunnel which takes the former Darling Harbour branch below Railway Square, it is now the Powerhouse Museum siding, used (rarely) to move locomotives to and from the museum. It is not abandoned, just rarely used. It is also the oldest tunnel on the NSW rail system that is still 'in use'. It was built in the 1850s, but lengthened a few times over the years when Broadway was widened. Also note the 'gauntlet' track in the pic you linked, the tunnel was originally made to have 2 parallel tracks but when they fitted overhead wires for electric trains there wasn't enough clearance so the 2 tracks converged and ran over each other but remained separate (no points).

Funnily enough we visited this tunnel on Fri nite with Titan and the boys.

That's interesting, I didn't expect that there would be so much history behind it. I got confused with the reference to darling harbour & not taking note of railway square.. But after seeing a few pics recently In another thread I understand where it is!
The timing of my post and your visit is ironic haha
By
Hey iv done a few tunnels lately homebush way as there preety chilled. would anyone want to go explore stjames and others in a few weeks. since the news story iv heard its fine if u go while trains are running and well hidden in the man holes. let me know
By
diskman12345 wrote:Hey iv done a few tunnels lately homebush way as there preety chilled. would anyone want to go explore stjames and others in a few weeks. since the news story iv heard its fine if u go while trains are running and well hidden in the man holes. let me know
Don't go in train tunnels ever.
By
If u know what ur doing and have and go when there dead service its fine tho right? Flex whats ur story with them?
By
You don't know what you're doing though.
By
But yes, if you know what you're doing then you should be fine.
By
Well iv done a few mate and was just asking if anyone else would be up to explore. THanks for ur reply tho mate
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
By saying you want to do the city circle while services are still running, I'm assuming you mean running off the end of the platform when a train pulls up - it's a terrible idea and you're just asking to be caught. If you do get seen running off the end of the platform, all city circle services will be stopped/delayed and you'll cause a huge delay all over the Sydney rail network.
By doing this, you're going to get into much more trouble than if you were to be caught in the early morning when services aren't running.
Do yourself a favour and catch a train through the city circle, sitting in both the top and bottom of a carriage and look at the walls as you go by. Hiding in an alcove won't do much, there's a high chance you'll be seen as the majority of them are lit up. If you are seen, it could be anyone - a Sydney Trains customer that's phone happy, an off duty Sydney Trains worker, an emergency worker.. You can't predict who will or will not see you.
Also, hearing and seeing trains isn't enough. You're going to need to know when a train is coming. Timetables are rarely accurate. There are ways. Ways in which you don't need a detonator. I'm not going to sit here and tell you how to do it though. I can't stop you over an internet forum either. All I can say is don't be stupid and I strongly recommend that if you do decide to go ahead with this, do it with someone who knows what they're doing and do not do it while services are still running.
By
Another thing to consider is trackwork. A lot of it goes on after hours. There seems to be a fair bit on at the moment too.
By
During service can provide you with many problems, and so can after service. Just a heads up, the speed limit of trains traveling on the city circle has decreased by 15km/h as a result of the swarm of unobservant kids getting in. Walk off the platform and you will be caught. There have been a few extra security additions within the past few weeks as well. Its never "fine". There's ghost trains that can come through at any time and theres also workers down there regularly.
By
Yeh cheers for comment mazinek think I follow u on insta if u mad pics. when u like to explore?
By
maizniek wrote:Walk off the platform and you will be caught. There have been a few extra security additions within the past few weeks as well. Its never "fine". There's ghost trains that can come through at any time and theres also workers down there regularly.
Well there was something on the news about that. Some kids hopped out of the shadows into the tunnels when the last train left. They were literally swooped on by officers in seconds.

Active rail is something I don't encourage just for the sake of insta likes or flickr faves or getting that amazing photo that makes you famous (or the opposite) unless I know it's abandoned. IMHO life and my day job is more important right now then being flattened by a train or dragged to court. But whatever floats your boat to be honest.

It's even worse when you have to go through a CRB check now to secure a job or a work visa overseas - something that didn't happen before 9/11. Sure there's a few companies that don't check but just a heads up in case you are unlucky to be in that situation when asked about your history - and then they found out you lied at the interview. Unfortunately that's reality now and something you should think about before doing a live tunnel.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
theedge wrote:
maizniek wrote:Walk off the platform and you will be caught. There have been a few extra security additions within the past few weeks as well. Its never "fine". There's ghost trains that can come through at any time and theres also workers down there regularly.
Well there was something on the news about that. Some kids hopped out of the shadows into the tunnels when the last train left. They were literally swooped on by officers in seconds.

Active rail is something I don't encourage just for the sake of insta likes or flickr faves or getting that amazing photo that makes you famous (or the opposite) unless I know it's abandoned. IMHO life and my day job is more important right now then being flattened by a train or dragged to court. But whatever floats your boat to be honest.

It's even worse when you have to go through a CRB check now to secure a job or a work visa overseas - something that didn't happen before 9/11. Sure there's a few companies that don't check but just a heads up in case you are unlucky to be in that situation when asked about your history - and then they found out you lied at the interview. Unfortunately that's reality now and something you should think about before doing a live tunnel.
Perhaps taking 13 people doesn't help. I'm sure some of them are members on this site and they weren't "kids".

Are you aiming those statements at me? If so you're completely wrong, and maybe oblivious to the fact that the majority of us don't post photos in order to become famous.
 Post a reply
Go