Login RegisterFAQ
Sydney rail network - Page 3
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Has anyone got any recent info on getting in? possible without getting arrested on the way out?
By
adm wrote:Has anyone got any recent info on getting in? possible without getting arrested on the way out?
Actually, yes. Get arraested on the way in. :lol:
By
haaaaa think ill pass on that...
By
PanicUE wrote:
chrisyelroy wrote:since 9/11 security at high public access areas, especially places of transit (train stations) take things seriously and are super edgy. The only way to access St James now is thru the side enterance along the tracks and even that is met with a gate and padlock. BUT as soon as u go thru the side (even tho u arent on the tracks) an alarm is alerted (silent), ALL the trains are commanded to halt, security is sent to u. If u are lucky u wont be seen entering the side, but even that they will be waiting with handcuffs when u emerge. Caught with clippers? Say goodbye to a clean record...

dont risk it with stations :/ pro tip friend
What is your source on this? I ask because a lot of people are saying "I know this for a fact" sort of thing, but it compleatly goes against what I know for a fact. Oh, I'm not saying it is not alarmed. I'm saying it is not the ONLY way in.
Also, I have been in there 3 times and have the photos to prove it. I wonder how much of "I know this for a fact" is "Some one I barely know told me this."

Been there 3 times just in the last 12 months (even had a small b'day party on the shore of Lake SJ 2 years ago)...
(we took all our rubbish out with us)

The 3rd time we didn't go in, as things had changed. I don't need to post pix to prove how many times I've been in there, but I am sure the pic above is suffice to prove my first hand knowledge.
They have recently fitted mobile fone repeaters inside the tunnels, & I have also heard they installed sensors at the same time (unconfirmed).
And the fact remains that you can't get in without keys any more (which is what I was asking). Even the side door has been repaired & locked.
By
Nice! Respect well deserved.
Well I guess your info is more up to date than mine. So they changed the locks on the doors eh? Bummer. :(
By
PanicUE wrote:Nice! Respect well deserved.
Well I guess your info is more up to date than mine. So they changed the locks on the doors eh? Bummer. :(
Replaced all the old 10ft high gates which could be climbed over/slid under with gates that hug the contour of the tunnel, & with new SRA locks.
They also barred up all the holes which you could once use to slide from the active tunnels to the ghost platforms/tunnels.
Recently re-aligned the camera pointing at the CQ portals (which was conveniently pointed up for a year or so), bastards.

As for the movement sensors on the gates & in the tunnels, I haven't seen any of that, although I am told they are currently configing the system so it will not trigger with wind/rats etc.

It seems that after years of being able to explore SJ unhindered, it is now almost impossible to do so. Vandals & other careless explorers have a lot to do with that. :(
By
I'm amazed by the seemingly overwhelming level of security on this place. I can certainly understand it being locked down to a reasonable extent but cameras everywhere, and police posted at ghost stations?? I've never heard of anything abandoned or semi-abandoned as such being locked down and guarded quite this viciously. (Well at least in Brisbane, lol)
I can only assume this is purely because of terrorism laws?
Because in reality, as awesome as it may be, 99% of people;

A. Don't know it's there in the first place
B. Have no desire to go down there if they did

So why the huge security presence? Very intriguing. Great photos too from those of you who've successfully made your way in. Looks cool as f-ck
By
Dynamite wrote:I'm amazed by the seemingly overwhelming level of security on this place. I can certainly understand it being locked down to a reasonable extent but cameras everywhere, and police posted at ghost stations?? I've never heard of anything abandoned or semi-abandoned as such being locked down and guarded quite this viciously. (Well at least in Brisbane, lol)
I can only assume this is purely because of terrorism laws?
Because in reality, as awesome as it may be, 99% of people;

A. Don't know it's there in the first place
B. Have no desire to go down there if they did

So why the huge security presence? Very intriguing. Great photos too from those of you who've successfully made your way in. Looks cool as f-ck
Cops don't hang there. But if they get alerted that there is somebody in there as they often do, it is easy for them to trap & catch those in there.
And the main reason is graffers, that is their holy-grail, & they always try to hack their way in.
By
You may also recall some guy got killed by a train down there a year or two ago, and when investigating, the cops wandered on down and two of them almost got killed by a train too, that's when they told City Rail to get their act together.

Give it long enough and you'll be fine again, it's just a sore spot due to recent events.
By
Nick wrote:You may also recall some guy got killed by a train down there a year or two ago, and when investigating, the cops wandered on down and two of them almost got killed by a train too, that's when they told City Rail to get their act together.

Give it long enough and you'll be fine again, it's just a sore spot due to recent events.
Live train tunnels and people do not mix well. I have been in a few and they are one thing that gives me the willies. You'd think a train would make a lot of noise but they can creep up on you without even hearing them. I was walking along a track in Victoria a while back and had been walking along the actual track but changed to walking along side it. The first time I knew of a train was when it blasted it's horn about 50 metres from me.
Similarly on a CC new explorers expo in Sydney there was over 50 people. We came out of a drain beside a rail line and were walking along the tracks to some place else when a train came up behind everyone and blasted it's horn. Most people were off the tracks by then but some were still on them or right beside them. Lucky he was going slow and people jumped off the track and no one was hit. He went past and suddenly it was "back in the drain" instead of wherever we were going.
In the US I was exploring a tunnel with permission but even then we had an unsheduled train come past and we had to stand behind an I beam as it went past less than 20 centimetres away. The video I shot of it shows how close we came to being hit. It was mere seconds as we realised it was coming down the tunnel.

These days, I'm just not willing to mix it up with live trains. I'm not as young or fast as I once was. The joys of being an old fart.
By
Poker wrote:
PanicUE wrote:
chrisyelroy wrote:since 9/11 security at high public access areas, especially places of transit (train stations) take things seriously and are super edgy. The only way to access St James now is thru the side enterance along the tracks and even that is met with a gate and padlock. BUT as soon as u go thru the side (even tho u arent on the tracks) an alarm is alerted (silent), ALL the trains are commanded to halt, security is sent to u. If u are lucky u wont be seen entering the side, but even that they will be waiting with handcuffs when u emerge. Caught with clippers? Say goodbye to a clean record...

dont risk it with stations :/ pro tip friend
What is your source on this? I ask because a lot of people are saying "I know this for a fact" sort of thing, but it compleatly goes against what I know for a fact. Oh, I'm not saying it is not alarmed. I'm saying it is not the ONLY way in.
Also, I have been in there 3 times and have the photos to prove it. I wonder how much of "I know this for a fact" is "Some one I barely know told me this."

Been there 3 times just in the last 12 months (even had a small b'day party on the shore of Lake SJ 2 years ago)...
(we took all our rubbish out with us)

The 3rd time we didn't go in, as things had changed. I don't need to post pix to prove how many times I've been in there, but I am sure the pic above is suffice to prove my first hand knowledge.
They have recently fitted mobile fone repeaters inside the tunnels, & I have also heard they installed sensors at the same time (unconfirmed).
And the fact remains that you can't get in without keys any more (which is what I was asking). Even the side door has been repaired & locked.

serious respect bud! umm I went January 2nd and everything was tight. My source was mainly from the city rail worker and then the railway security. Also had an extensive conversation with a fellow working on cleaning that whole area...they're apparently tightening the security to ridiculous lengths because of suicide associated with trains (one in Linfield the other day) and graff artists etc. nothing we don't already know...According to a worker, if I get the most senior member of my institution (don't want to say what authority he holds), they will just let me walk in
Spades
By
Midget wrote:Does anyone know what security the underground rail connection between Epping and Chatswood has?

Other than the usual platform cameras. I've been itching to have a run through them, but wouldn't be so fun if I got a police greeting party at the next station.
For starters, you wouldn't have enough time to go end-to-end on foot once the trains have actually stopped running. From what I've seen there aren't alcoves like other tunnels, so no places to take cover either; there's a walkway at train door height the entire length of the tunnels. This is to make the exit of communters safer in the event of break-downs or other emergencys.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Crane wrote:
Midget wrote:Does anyone know what security the underground rail connection between Epping and Chatswood has?

Other than the usual platform cameras. I've been itching to have a run through them, but wouldn't be so fun if I got a police greeting party at the next station.
For starters, you wouldn't have enough time to go end-to-end on foot once the trains have actually stopped running. From what I've seen there aren't alcoves like other tunnels, so no places to take cover either; there's a walkway at train door height the entire length of the tunnels. This is to make the exit of communters safer in the event of break-downs or other emergencys.
That's a pretty late reply. =P Look in the other threads and you'll see I've been there multiple times.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Midget wrote:That's a pretty late reply. =P Look in the other threads and you'll see I've been there multiple times.
Admittedly, yes, I realise it's a late reply. Did you go all way from Chatswood to Epping? Will look for the other threads.
By
Crane wrote:
Midget wrote:That's a pretty late reply. =P Look in the other threads and you'll see I've been there multiple times.
Admittedly, yes, I realise it's a late reply. Did you go all way from Chatswood to Epping? Will look for the other threads.
I only explored a few parts of it, I got bored after a while. :lol: Them new tunnels be all planned and sh*t, no history, no interesting things. But it's an easy run, so something to do when bored.
By
Midget wrote:
Crane wrote:
I only explored a few parts of it, I got bored after a while. :lol: Them new tunnels be all planned and sh*t, no history, no interesting things. But it's an easy run, so something to do when bored.
Because they are planned they have extra additions that were started but not finished. These will later come into play in future developments. If we ever meet for a crane climb I'll tell about them.

You show your age... attention span of 20 minutes, haha.
By
Crane wrote:
Midget wrote:
Crane wrote: Admittedly, yes, I realise it's a late reply. Did you go all way from Chatswood to Epping? Will look for the other threads.
Because they are planned they have extra additions that were started but not finished. These will later come into play in future developments. If we ever meet for a crane climb I'll tell about them.

You show your age... attention span of 20 minutes, haha.
It takes more than 20 minutes to get from Macquarie Park to the tunnel exit at Epping. :lol: I did see the tunnel stub at Epping where they might extend it. I've been thinking of bringing my bicycle down there at night and riding along the track, but it'd be really dodgy to cycle past platforms. What if there's some cleaners/security there? :lol: I'll just have to go at 2-3am.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Midget wrote: I've been thinking of bringing my bicycle down there at night and riding along the track, but it'd be really dodgy to cycle past platforms. What if there's some cleaners/security there? :lol: I'll just have to go at 2-3am.
Make sure to ring your bell so they know to get out of the way.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Crane wrote:
Midget wrote: I've been thinking of bringing my bicycle down there at night and riding along the track, but it'd be really dodgy to cycle past platforms. What if there's some cleaners/security there? :lol: I'll just have to go at 2-3am.
Make sure to ring your bell so they know to get out of the way.
:lol:

Even better, get one of the air horns.
By
If you are interested in these tunnels try to get a book called Sydney's Forgotten City Railways by John Oakes. It has very interesting information relating to these tunnels.

The online version of Subterranean Sydney by Brian & Barbara Kennedy is available here...
http://www.sydneyarchitecture.com/SUB/A-SUB.htm
Railway tunnel section here...
http://www.sydneyarchitecture.com/SUB/SUB-07.htm

I bought a copy of that book in 1992, & it was that that started me off on my urbex career.
It makes for a good read, even though it was written in the 1980s & some or most of the info is outdated.
By
Poker wrote:If you are interested in these tunnels try to get a book called Sydney's Forgotten City Railways by John Oakes. It has very interesting information relating to these tunnels.

The online version of Subterranean Sydney by Brian & Barbara Kennedy is available here...

I bought a copy of that book in 1992, & it was that that started me off on my urbex career.
It makes for a good read, even though it was written in the 1980s & some or most of the info is outdated.
Very interesting indeed. I'm surprised some of the tunnels were made using the "cut-and-cover" technique. The tunnels seemed too deep into the ground to use that way of excavation effectively.
By
Midget wrote:
Poker wrote:If you are interested in these tunnels try to get a book called Sydney's Forgotten City Railways by John Oakes. It has very interesting information relating to these tunnels.

Very interesting indeed. I'm surprised some of the tunnels were made using the "cut-and-cover" technique. The tunnels seemed too deep into the ground to use that way of excavation effectively.
It was the cheapest & easiest way they knew back then. Dig a hole, build what you want, cover hole back up. They didn't have TBMs & other mechanical means so boring a tunnel was done by lots of men using pick axes. That book is very interesting, it was the first taste of urbex for most urban explorers in Australia.
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Well this is quite an old thread but anyway...

I was wondering about the Gong that use to be down in the old shelters at St.James. Apparently it might have been removed for some reason, I've seen photos of a person down there last year with it and there was scaffolding in that particular room so they were obviously repairing the room.

But I'm curious now..Surely they've relocated the gong/bell somewhere
Does anyone else know much?
By
Haven't heard anything to suggest it has been moved.
By
The gong was used as a prop in the movie The Tunnel in 2011, it was still there in mid 2012 (didn't see any scaff), but not quite sure of it's location or status as of now.
If it has been moved, I would say it would have been done so officially...getting that thing out unseen would be almost impossible (weighs a ton).
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
 Post a reply
Go