Login RegisterFAQ
Sydney rail network - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
blackduck30 wrote:WOW ,
Never knew about the Helensberg tunnel.
I suppose it was built maybe for future expansion of the Illawarra line.
We long for a high speed rail link to Sydney.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/intodarkne ... 197703577/

Helensburgh tunnels are pre nice.
Very muddy though so if you go take boots.
By
The Helensburgh tunnel was part of the former single line. When they duplicated the line they followed a less direct route to get better grade (less steep hills) via new double line tunnels. The old single line tunnels are all still there (so is part of the platform at old H'burgh station) laying abandoned, some were used as mushroom farms from time to time, & most are locked up tight...only Metropolitan (at H'burgh) & the notorious Otford (1600m) tunnels are worth exploring.
Whole area is steeped in history.

Read more about them here...

http://soulsearchers.spheresoflight.com ... elensburgh

and here...

http://helensburgh.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... unnel-1st/

Happy hunting.
By
Titan wrote:
chardm wrote:I work for cityrail and there is definately no access to any of these places , doesnt matter who you know unfortunately ....
Looks like the rest of us who never been will never know or see these tunnels :(
I've been in those tunnels three times, once on an AHRS tunnel tour. It was funny doing the tour because I was there with my spotlight and it was obvious that I knew a huge amount of detail about them. There is old graffiti from Predator in the bunker end. The tour did both ends, the bunkers end and the Lake St James end, but without climbing up through the little tunnel to see the lake. Yeah, not easy to get into any more. Unlike security guards who tend to agree to look the other way if you ask politely, police are not inclined to do that. Although some will if you are checking out abandonments and are on the road, not the actual property.

Helensburg is easily accessible. A good day trip would be down to Helensburg and then on to Woolongong. There are other tunnels that are abandoned about the state that can be freely and legally accessed.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
Does anyone know what security the underground rail connection between Epping and Chatswood has?

Other than the usual platform cameras. I've been itching to have a run through them, but wouldn't be so fun if I got a police greeting party at the next station.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Midget wrote:Does anyone know what security the underground rail connection between Epping and Chatswood has?

Other than the usual platform cameras. I've been itching to have a run through them, but wouldn't be so fun if I got a police greeting party at the next station.
Watch yourself on an active line, even if it's supposedly closed for track work they can still be moving stuff around.And they can creep up on you a lot faster than expected.
AXEL
By
axel wrote:Watch yourself on an active line, even if it's supposedly closed for track work they can still be moving stuff around.And they can creep up on you a lot faster than expected.
Alright, thanks for the warning. I might not go through them then. I took a look a few days ago, and the close gates at Epping after the last commuter train. As far as I can see, the easiest access to the line is at Chatswood and that's a little bit too much to run to.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
farah9 wrote:Also the elevator from 24 & 25, has a button to get to 26 & 27, but it needs a key to be activated, from memory it has lvl1, which is 24, 25, lvl 2 which is 26, 27 and c = concorse( the main section of the station). I was lucky enough to know someone who worked on 24 & 25, as a station master, back when I was about 14yo and we managed to get access through the door on the stairs, unfortunatly didn't have a camera with me, so no photos. I have heard some people say that 26, 27 is now totally boarded up from the elevator entry, not sure though.

St.James tunnels i got into last week i did it during the day when the train pulled into the sation i hopped off the back of the train and ran to the gates. i was there for a good hour and with no worries. when leaving we chased the train out up to the platform and walked out with no worries. dont get seen by people and you should be good.
By
Slick wrote:
farah9 wrote:Also the elevator from 24 & 25, has a button to get to 26 & 27, but it needs a key to be activated, from memory it has lvl1, which is 24, 25, lvl 2 which is 26, 27 and c = concorse( the main section of the station). I was lucky enough to know someone who worked on 24 & 25, as a station master, back when I was about 14yo and we managed to get access through the door on the stairs, unfortunatly didn't have a camera with me, so no photos. I have heard some people say that 26, 27 is now totally boarded up from the elevator entry, not sure though.

St.James tunnels i got into last week i did it during the day when the train pulled into the sation i hopped off the back of the train and ran to the gates. i was there for a good hour and with no worries. when leaving we chased the train out up to the platform and walked out with no worries. dont get seen by people and you should be good.
Did you get any pictures? how was it?
Can you explain a bit better how you got access please?
By
one of my friends is a train driver for cityrail, she was in 26/27 only a few weeks ago and got some pics, im waiting on her to send them to me. there seems to be a few discrepancies though as another mate is a train driver as well, and he says its completley closed off and was used for document holding and thats all..

after watching a video someone getting cleaned up inside a tunnel in sydney im pretty scared of anything with live trains lol.. otford and non live seems the way to go for me :)

anyone been in the tunnel from the nth sydney train station??
By
kenikat1 wrote:after watching a video someone getting cleaned up inside a tunnel in sydney im pretty scared of anything with live trains lol.. otford and non live seems the way to go for me :)
Were they drunk? :D
By
Yep, abandoned tunnels at central, redfern, st james and wynyard.

They rekon redfern station was built as a large underground station but they only ever opened the above ground level? That there is a large unused concourse below the station and several unused rail tunnels. (you can see unused portholes at the central end of redfern station. They say A LOT of redfern is tunneled under...

What are all those rail tunnels/over-underpass things between westmead and parramatta??

Anyone keen to explore let me know! There are some interesting old tunnels here in Lithgow/Blue Mountains too guys, hit me up!
"What do you mean "Your'e drunk"? .....
By
By
Last time i went to the ghost platforms like 2 years ago they had changed those two doors from the old wooden ones to bigger steel doors, you use to be able to slip a metal ruler down and get the lock to open, they since fixed that but there was a way to get there also from redfern but never confirmed this just heard about it, lots of crawling involved. the staff tunnels at central also connect to the ghost platforms at a door at the very end of the platforms, this door leads to stairs that goes down to the used platforms and also up into some of the staff tunnels, be aware that the old signal room in the ghost platforms is alarmed (or was) we went in once and transos came down and we all bolted.
By
Check out Redfern Station on Google Earth......

You may notice some stuff.....
By
chardm wrote:I work for cityrail and there is definately no access to any of these places , doesnt matter who you know unfortunately ....
Obviously you have never met Batman.
By
Slick wrote:St.James tunnels i got into last week i did it during the day when the train pulled into the sation i hopped off the back of the train and ran to the gates. i was there for a good hour and with no worries. when leaving we chased the train out up to the platform and walked out with no worries. dont get seen by people and you should be good.
How did you get past the locked ceiling to floor gates?
By
DarkClarky wrote:Yep, abandoned tunnels at central, redfern, st james and wynyard.
They rekon redfern station was built as a large underground station but they only ever opened the above ground level? That there is a large unused concourse below the station and several unused rail tunnels. (you can see unused portholes at the central end of redfern station. They say A LOT of redfern is tunneled under...
DarkClarky wrote:Check out Redfern Station on Google Earth......
You may notice some stuff.....
The above ground Redfern Station was built the way it is in the late 1800s, there are no underground concourse or platforms there. However, in the late 1940s they began building the Eastern Suburbs Railway. They starting builting 4 underground platforms & a concourse at Redfern Station (as they did at Central but next to eachother not 2 platforms above the others). Only 2 of the platforms were completed, & the proposed concourse is basically a large area between flights of stairs which has a locked door which has a corridor that would have led to the 2 un-built platforms. The 2 un-finished platforms are basically just the (rusting) steel frames & some other earthworks. The 2 tunnels passing under Lawson St that you mention are at different levels, & so are the platforms. These platforms would have served the Airport line or a branchline to Kingsford heading south, & linked up with the unused (Ghost) platforms at Central (plats 26-27).
When they eventually did build the Airport line in the late 1990s they chose a different route. There is a rumour that the sandstone beneath the underground platforms at Central would not support the weight of 4 fully loaded trains plus the platforms so that is why they have never used platforms 26-27. You can access these tunnels, but it involves climbing a 12ft wall.
DarkClarky wrote:What are all those rail tunnels/over-underpass things between westmead and parramatta??
These tunnels are used to take the mainline from the middle of the 2 suburban tracks to the outside without interfering with other trains. Before they made those tunnels trains would need to stop for passing trains as they crossed at the same level. Now the inside main line ducks down before going outside the suburban line.
By
Panic wrote: I've been in those tunnels three times, once on an AHRS tunnel tour. It was funny doing the tour because I was there with my spotlight and it was obvious that I knew a huge amount of detail about them. There is old graffiti from Predator in the bunker end. The tour did both ends, the bunkers end and the Lake St James end, but without climbing up through the little tunnel to see the lake. Yeah, not easy to get into any more. Unlike security guards who tend to agree to look the other way if you ask politely, police are not inclined to do that. Although some will if you are checking out abandonments and are on the road, not the actual property.

Helensburg is easily accessible. A good day trip would be down to Helensburg and then on to Woolongong. There are other tunnels that are abandoned about the state that can be freely and legally accessed.
And now some pictures:
http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... ubrail.htm
Please keep in mind that way back in 2001 those pictures were taken with a 1.3 mp Kodak digital camera. Hence the quality.

Here's the ARHS tour pictures:
http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... brail3.htm
You will note that the pictures are copyright 2002,but were in facttaken in 2001, not long before September 11, on one of the last tours ever done of these tunnels.
By
Poker wrote:
I don't know Slick's story, but if you know how, you don't need to get past those gates.
By
PanicUE wrote:
Poker wrote:
I don't know Slick's story, but if you know how, you don't need to get past those gates.
All the archways, & doorways, have new locked gates that you cannot climb over or go under, that is why I ask.
By
Poker wrote:
PanicUE wrote:
Poker wrote:
All the archways, & doorways, have new locked gates that you cannot climb over or go under, that is why I ask.
You still don't need to go past them if you know how.
By
PanicUE wrote:You still don't need to go past them if you know how.
Yes you do, no matter what you know.
Unless you somehow have keys to let you through locked doors & gates, there is no way in any more.
And they do react to anything detected by the new cameras at the ghost platforms.
These are all facts provided by first hand knowledge. Three months ago a crew of 4 were detected in those tunnels, near the unused platforms, & after a pursuit towards the portals 1 of the 4 was captured & had the book thrown at him. The other 3 got away unscathed.
By
Oh, I think I'm just going to agree to disagree with you here. We obviously both know things we're not willing to let on. No problem with that.
By first hand knowledge, I take it you are a railways employee then? Or do you mean second hand as in some one with first hand knoweledge told you? Or do you mean something else entierly? I'm not trying to diss you, just trying to get an idea of how first hand this first hand knowledge is?
I still stand by that you don't need to climb / pass no giant gates to get into the place. But yes, given your info, I can't say you won't get caught.
By
since 9/11 security at high public access areas, especially places of transit (train stations) take things seriously and are super edgy. The only way to access St James now is thru the side enterance along the tracks and even that is met with a gate and padlock. BUT as soon as u go thru the side (even tho u arent on the tracks) an alarm is alerted (silent), ALL the trains are commanded to halt, security is sent to u. If u are lucky u wont be seen entering the side, but even that they will be waiting with handcuffs when u emerge. Caught with clippers? Say goodbye to a clean record...

dont risk it with stations :/ pro tip friend
Spades
By
chrisyelroy wrote:since 9/11 security at high public access areas, especially places of transit (train stations) take things seriously and are super edgy. The only way to access St James now is thru the side enterance along the tracks and even that is met with a gate and padlock. BUT as soon as u go thru the side (even tho u arent on the tracks) an alarm is alerted (silent), ALL the trains are commanded to halt, security is sent to u. If u are lucky u wont be seen entering the side, but even that they will be waiting with handcuffs when u emerge. Caught with clippers? Say goodbye to a clean record...

dont risk it with stations :/ pro tip friend
What is your source on this? I ask because a lot of people are saying "I know this for a fact" sort of thing, but it compleatly goes against what I know for a fact. Oh, I'm not saying it is not alarmed. I'm saying it is not the ONLY way in.
Also, I have been in there 3 times and have the photos to prove it. I wonder how much of "I know this for a fact" is "Some one I barely know told me this."
 Post a reply
Go