Login RegisterFAQ
This is visible as guest
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Should we lock this down as members only too?

All the questions are visible when you log out.

Because of that, Callan Park is visible and that other one about the mansion which is probably going to make it more trashed.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Just to give an example

1. Log out of site

2. Go to "View Active Topics"

3. Go to the bottom right corner. You can see the forums that are visible as a guest/google crawler user:

My worry is the "Urban exploration discussion" where we discuss ideas and places. Maybe we should create a new one forum under the Media section where we can discuss the more sensitive stuff?
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I'm not against having that particular section members only, but not particularly for it. Assuming people use common sense when posting in that section, and they follow the forum CoC, it should be no issue as is.

Media section should only be for showcasing, as it is now. (pics/vids/websites).

My thoughts anywho :P
By
The problem is any non member seeing stuff of members asking for info won't be following the CoC. And we don't know who or what they are capable of.

I'm all for asking about intel and we have a right to respond but some of it is too sensitive to show to public esp. when it could be asking about a new location or one I've never heard of.

Sorry for being paranoid. I've been overdosing on urbex pics from instagram with people trashing stuff.
By
I understand the paranoia after seeing some of the trashed places!

But by the time Google as indexed this section, be that a day or so, a mod should have removed any information violating the CoC.

The way I see it, if too much of the forum is closed off, it will make it hard for true (or new) explorers to find this website via Google et al. Before I found it, I usually explored by my lonesome, because all my friends were too lame (or sensible, actually.. That probably makes more sense :? ).
Community's where it's at!
By
aydun wrote:I understand the paranoia after seeing some of the trashed places!

But by the time Google as indexed this section, be that a day or so, a mod should have removed any information violating the CoC.

The way I see it, if too much of the forum is closed off, it will make it hard for true (or new) explorers to find this website via Google et al. Before I found it, I usually explored by my lonesome, because all my friends were too lame (or sensible, actually.. That probably makes more sense :? ).
Community's where it's at!
I'm more pushing for a new section where basic members can ask more sensitive stuff such as about new locations they've found but need more confirmation and is hidden from the outside.

I think this site is visible enough already. Typing "sydney urbex" or "australia urbex" puts this site at the top of the list.

Quite a few members have a group or companion and are probably using this site to collect intel than organise or attend the meetups/expos or even showcasing their places. One member admitted to this already which I'm not happy about but at least they were upfront. And the big question is, what are they doing once they get to these places?
By
Simple solution is make the whole site private i.e. requiring password and login to view anything. The only part to leave as public would be "About UEGA" http://www.uega.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

I'm not sure what Titan's original intentions or thoughts were but I'm sure it wasn't (nor has it ever been) to provide information to all and sundry about how to go about these kind of activities and get into places.

The membership process isn't exclusive, and by making everything of interest private it gives more incentive to need to sign up for an account.

Just my 2 cents.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Scarecrow wrote:Simple solution is make the whole site private i.e. requiring password and login to view anything. The only part to leave as public would be "About UEGA" http://www.uega.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

I'm not sure what Titan's original intentions or thoughts were but I'm sure it wasn't (nor has it ever been) to provide information to all and sundry about how to go about these kind of activities and get into places.

The membership process isn't exclusive, and by making everything of interest private it gives more incentive to need to sign up for an account.

Just my 2 cents.
Yep, guests and the NSW Police can see all.
Sh1t, did I just post in UEGA? Ah fuk didn't mean to. :)
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
I always thought one could only view the forums if they were a member...
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
I'm a member!

By
What BJ said is pretty much what I was getting at.

Speaking of which, Googlebot isn't a member.

Anyway, if you want goog and "you know who" tracking your web activity that's fine by me - but I'll tread on the side of caution. It was just amazing how so much info was captured from just doing the goog search.

Not sure if anyone watched 4 corners or 730 report but they talked about this stuff in depth.

Have also been to the UER site and although that place is such a DB, there isn't much public content of people asking for intel. Then again, I'm not a full member of UER.
By
Anonymity is a thing of the past.

Preventing guest access would simply cause anyone who cares to create an account; assuming they actually care, which they probably don't.

There shouldn't be anything illegal posted here anyway, so I see no reason for concern.
By
That doesn't mean we should not try and make ourselves more "anonymous". I always try and separate my real life and what we do here as much as possible so we don't incriminate or give others a bad name.

I have seen what is capable from where I work. That is why I am paranoid. Granted good analysts are rare but they can easily be trained up. Also gg cache lasts for around a month.

And there have been questions asked about security now visible as guest. That in itself is suspicious and it is lots of work acting on each report. I mean if I was the owner of the mansion that a member was asking about intel info I would be concerned.

Oops was not meant to say that :)
By
blakjak wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:Simple solution is make the whole site private i.e. requiring password and login to view anything. The only part to leave as public would be "About UEGA" http://www.uega.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Just my 2 cents.
Yep, guests and the NSW Police can see all.
Sh1t, did I just post in UEGA? Ah fuk didn't mean to. :)
Senior Constable Jim is back.
 Post a reply
Go