Login RegisterFAQ
What is in the huts at the base of FM transmitters?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I have become fascinated by radio equipment, and I can't find any information online. I asked around on broadcast engineering forums and didn't get a real answer. I know there are a few engineers on this site, and I was wondering of anyone could tell me what these are for.
By
These huts house the transmitting/receiving gear, to keep it secure and dry.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Nuggs wrote:These huts house the transmitting/receiving gear, to keep it secure and dry.
So If I was to hypothetically bump or pick my into one just to look around, would I be putting myself in serious danger of electrocution or some other awful fate?
By
No, it's quite safe - Just don't touch anything.
There will be swithboards, amplifiers, computers etc.

Also, break and enter is a bad idea.
They usually are very well alarmed and monitored.
Your best approach would be to organise a visit with the asset owner, who would be happy to answer specific questions about their site.

Contact your local 'amateur radio' enthusiasts, they could point you in the right direction.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
As Nuggs said; bad idea. All these huts (even remote ones) are alarmed. Every hut has a number that persons working inside of must call before entering (legally). They're owned by Telstra/Optus/Vodaphone etc.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Nuggs wrote:No, it's quite safe - Just don't touch anything.
There will be swithboards, amplifiers, computers etc.

Also, break and enter is a bad idea.
They usually are very well alarmed and monitored.
Your best approach would be to organise a visit with the asset owner, who would be happy to answer specific questions about their site.

Contact your local 'amateur radio' enthusiasts, they could point you in the right direction.
Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll ask around.
By
you would probably see stuff like this inside buildings around towers...

The explorer in the west................
 Post a reply
Go