Login RegisterFAQ
Growing Popularity - Page 2
By
f1ex wrote:Us? You're putting me in the same group of people as you? And you're assuming I haven't been doing it for long?
You are all simplifying, generalising, and making assumptions about demographics.
I doubt his aim is to describe you specifically - unless you know each other?
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
I've been out of the loop for a few years, it's quite interesting to see that the whole here's my feet on an edge is actually causing issues. Back in my day it was rare to come across anyone who you couldn't link through one or two degrees of separation. Anyone care to link to said fame hunters. Am I right to assume these people are more hitting high points and less so underground and abandoned stuff?

Anyway's I started through friends who did it, they were the main dudes in BNE and taught me the ropes. I / we were always careful to check new people out before letting much info out but by the sounds of these people they will take newbs into delicate situations to become cool.

edt: went to the new members section and some also poped up on FB searches.
Last edited by four on 03 Mar 2014, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Apologies, as I split Spade's post into AUSUE, but lost the original as well. Derp!
This is his text:
Spades wrote:Someone made an attack in this post about this "cool" trend being the reason I explore. I began when my father showed me a La Parouse bunker down in the NSW GOLF National Park, and it captivated to me to search for more. I looked up more and more things becoming more and more interested. Sooner rather than later, I found myself on urbantwilight.net which opened my world into more possibilities such as drains and rooftops which I yearned to learn about.

Possibly one of the greatest moments of my life is locating the Fortress and finding a way into it with no aid/help/map etc. The moment realising this is real and not a photo is the reason why I explore. The photo is just a lesser version of my memory captured forever to spark that initial feeling that motivates me to explore. I share these memories with everyone I can because its something I love and I'm interested in. It's my hobby.

Dropping spots and locations just wrecks these memories for yourself and others, and I have a strict policy never to explore with graffiti artists (for various reasons).

The point I was making with my first post is to point out that more and more of the younger generation has be captivated by "urbex" or "urban exploration" and its detrimental consequences on us all.

Anyway, the only thing really being effected are rooftops and some train tunnels - the bad explorers get caught, the fame hunters punished, and by making the rooftop and tunnels more secure, just preserves the spot for the more advanced and experienced explorers - and heighten the reward

People enjoy sharing - with our particular hobby, there should be some restraints.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
f1ex wrote:Us? You're putting me in the same group of people as you? And you're assuming I haven't been doing it for long?
No harm intended, i just assumed by the way you were talking about it. No harsh feelings
By
I think sometimes the perception of each others perogative can become blurry. I do not think the majority of new people to urban exploration are doing it to be "cool"..The ones who think they are cool are the people spray painting, trashing and ruining the history within our cities. I have become interested via photography and the fact that my local city is filled with such cliche photography of the same crap over and over, that I wanted to find something different. Once I found old, and interesting places around where I live, I realised I really enjoyed it, and unfortunately my city is just not old enough to provide great places to explore, which has resulted in some travel to Sydney. Also at the end of the day, rooftops seem boring to me, I do not really see what these guys find in it. I see no harm with sharing pictures, if no details of the location are shared and no explanation of the way in is either. At the end of the day, the people who are doing it to try and be "cool" will quickly fade out when some new "trend" comes along.
By
i am young (fourteen in april) and abosolutly love urbex. i have no intentions to stop regardless of laws or regulations. but i feel growing up in todays society that people do it to be cool, and for thrills not because they love seeing the other side of the city the live on top of or because they crave adventure and like to explore like me.

i feel that young people are doing to many things to be cool or daring, not because they love what they decide to participate in! it makes me sad to see all my fellow peers following on and doing what others do. but on the other hand someone has to start the following.

bottom line: i do not want urbex for younger people to be summed up or stereo-typed by "idiots" ruining a great thing for everyone as some young urban exploration enthusiasts are trying to respect everything that goes with this obsession ;)

just my rant

jtcool
By
Its a trend for most younger kids, whether they agree with that or not.
By
I've met many explorers, and most fall into the 25 to 35 age group - Not what I'd call young.

I think this supposed prevalence of 'young' explorers is due to the fact they are more likely to share their exploits, and expose site details irresponsibly via facebook, twitter, instagram etc.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
I'm a new person to the forum and to this kind of thing. In some peoples eyes I would be in this 'hype' of new urbexers that are only out to ruin it for the other people. I haven't been into any abandonments/rooftops/drains but I do wish to start exploring. Although I am new, I have no intentions of ruining it for anyone. Before I shut down my facebook there were still a few people on my friends list that had been doing exploration for years .....

I got interested in urban exploration from a friend of mine about 5-6 years ago when he started roof topping in Adelaide. I thought it looked cool and he said it was peaceful when he was out there, like his own oasis. After a few years of another 'sport', I have rekindled my interest in exploring again.

I have mentioned it to one of my friends that I trust. He has told me people from his school do it all the time out my way and tag the place to death. He said that they were all getting bored of the same locations they knew and were going onto facebook/instagram/twitter for more places to go to.

I have personally seen a place within 500 metres of where I live deteriorate over the last year from people going there, stealing copper/tagging/dumping rubbish and breaking stuff.

Hopefully a new call of duty, pokemon or car racing game comes out soon so they can relax on the places that the genuine explorers love to go.
 Topic locked
Go