Login RegisterFAQ
By
Obviously the rise in popularity in Urban Exploration has been attributed to the increase in media attention and exposure, however what will this mean for us. The Cave Clan and all you older explorers must've seen this slow process happen over a number of years, and the effect on this to their favourite spots.

Everyday more and more people have contacted me about spots and "getting in the game" and "easy spots for beginners" mostly drawn to images of train tunnels and rooftops of the icons they idolise such as Steve Duncan and famous rooftoppers such as Blue Art Xinja etc.

Two or three years ago, I was being ostricised and singled out because I went on rooftops and in drains, now, everyone wants a bit of the game and more than half the community I was in now considers themselves "explorers" - something which would have got them beat up after lunch for even mentioning.

This shift from something odd and disturbing to something new, dangerous, exciting - effectively "COOL" at first glance will be viewed as comicial, but after this new "teen" craze is past, with some of our treasures locked and gone for good - with new laws heavily penalising explorers to the point that the risk isn't worth it anymore. That's the point where we hang up our jackets. Once they're done with the craze, they'll move on to the more socially and culturally appealing one, not even caring about what they've just ruined.

Let's be honest, we got into this hobby by either seeing movies or photos displaying the underground frontier, the hidden secrets of the city, etc.. media exposure is how we entered and were motivated into this particular hobby. Where is the line drawn? What should we do.. I really have no clue on this one.
Spades
By
Quick, someone invent the next planking/pokemon to distract them kiddies thinking of going exploring... maybe theyll take up neknominate and remove themselves from the gene pool..two birds..
By
How I miss pokemon.
By
Don't know, share among those you trust?
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Don't you have a tumblr blog just like the guys you're claiming are part of the problem? I don't mean any offence with that question, I'm just asking if you have considered that perhaps you are part of the problem.

I know I was until I took my website down. I still consider myself one of the "new kids" who only ended up here because I found sleepy city.

With regards to your question though, drains are easy, there's enough for everyone to enjoy and they aren't going anywhere. Good quality topsides on the other hand are disappearing quick here in Brisbane thanks to the butterknife army of "I want an urbex blog too" kids. I think what were seeing is just a swing of a predator-prey cycle. When there is more prey the population of predators grow. The predators summarily consume all the prey and when there is none left the hunters starve until only the strongest/smartest/most determined remain.
By
Spoz wrote:I think what were seeing is just a swing of a predator-prey cycle. When there is more prey the population of predators grow. The predators summarily consume all the prey and when there is none left the hunters starve until only the strongest/smartest/most determined remain.
OOOkayyyy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad. Just sayin'.
By
Do you really think all the people getting into exploring at the moment are only doing it because it's popular and perceived as "cool"?

Yourself included, btw
By
By
Spades wrote: Let's be honest, we got into this hobby by either seeing movies or photos displaying the underground frontier, the hidden secrets of the city, etc.. media exposure is how we entered and were motivated into this particular hobby. Where is the line drawn? What should we do.. I really have no clue on this one.
Not essentially true, however I'm one of those 'Old' explorers.
I got involved in this stuff well over 10 years ago. Saw something cool, curiosity got the better of me and off I went..
Back then we weren't running around with smartphones. Internet was crappy dial-up and What the hell is a Dslr? Bluetooth? Y'all need to see a Dentist! :shock:
I can honestly say I've never been compelled to partake in an activity because somebody showed me a photo. All of my hobbies and interests I've gotten into as a direct result of having a go at it first hand, and then deciding whether I liked it or not afterwards.
Social media does have a habit of spreading 'Trends' as such - but if you weren't interested in exploring an abando/drain/rooftop before seeing it on (Insert name of latest social media here) Then why now? Honestly, I can't understand the whole 'Hive mind' Mentality.
As for the people who contact you daily about locations - What medium are they using to do so? No disrespect intended, I'm genuinely curious.
Interesting subject nonetheless.
By
From what I hear from Spades it seems to be something a lot more younger kids are getting crazed to do. What happened to taking drugs and getting pissed off your parents liquor when they leave the house?
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
A couple of quotes that could be applied to this thread.

"Worry less. Explore more."

"Leave a tag. Take no photos."
By
Decimalz wrote:A couple of quotes that could be applied to this thread.

"Worry less. Explore more."

"Leave a tag. Take no photos."
Agree with the 1st point. But don't agree about tagging esp. on private property, unless it's a business card?

I heard someone left a card with an email to CC in a drain to help them write a story on stormwater drains. I think it worked too!
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Rooftops in Sydney are a bit of a no go at the moment because every arsehole kid is doing them and posting lame pictures of their shoes on the internet, when they really should be doing their homework (or like Scarecrow says - taking drugs and drinking mummy's sherry).

Spades, it's good to see you've now made your instagram private. You've still got some kind of dodge photos on there though.

If I worked for a security company, I'd be all over instagram etc like a rash. "#urbex, #Sydney... Oh fuk look! Kids are having a good time on the roof of that building we manage! Better put a stop to that. Someone might lose their shoes!"
By
No+Pro wrote:Quick, someone invent the next planking/pokemon to distract them kiddies thinking of going exploring
Doing the Grant Hackett?
theedge wrote:
Agree with the 1st point. But don't agree about tagging esp. on private property!
Last one is probably more applicable to drains.
By
aydun wrote: Yep, you got me. I'm doing this because I wanna be cool. Do you think I'm cool yet with my pictures Spoz? I really just wanna impress you.
Dude relax, that's not what he meant.

I think that if people want to urbex, then go ahead and do it. It's awesome but for some it's just a cheap thrill and they get over it in no time. For these people the lack of respect and/ or concern for locations/ getting caught/ security issues/ etc is pretty non existent. This is because for them it is just a fad, doesn't really affect them long term... I actually understand their mentality, I mean it's a bit selfish but unless someone actually explains/ makes them aware of what they're doing, well that's that . For "proper" explorers, people that incorporate exploring into their lifestyle... Well we can only pray that the fad doesn't ruin the bigger experience for all of us.
By
Keve wrote:
aydun wrote: Yep, you got me. I'm doing this because I wanna be cool. Do you think I'm cool yet with my pictures Spoz? I really just wanna impress you.
Don't worry, I was just being sarcastic. :P I assumed it wasn't what he meant, but from the way he phrased his question, it sounds very patronising.
By
aydun wrote:
Keve wrote:
Don't worry, I was just being sarcastic. :P I assumed it wasn't what he meant, but from the way he phrased his question, it sounds very patronising.
Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing out the blatant sarcasm haha!
Seriously though, making snarky comments in forums is lame. Don't do that, it makes you look bad. I'm sure you're not a douche-bag in real life.

Anyway, back to what we're here for:

Anyone explored anything cool lately?
Last weekend I unknowingly explored a well-known gay beat. It seems there's a few multipurpose locations in Sydney...
By
maggot wrote: Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing out the blatant sarcasm haha!
Seriously though, making snarky comments in forums is lame. Don't do that, it makes you look bad.
LoL potkettle!
Unless you're being sarcastic now?
The joke might have gone over my head :)
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
The irony is ironic :P
By
Derp.
By
I'm semi one of those 'new' explorers but i agree completely with what spades has said. I started exploring because it seemed like an escape from reality almost and it made me feel like i was doing something that very few people do. I started mid last year doing drains and abandonments but when i got my camera towards the end of last year all i wanted to do was rooftops and follow the trend. But after a while i realised that you might aswell go on 1 tall building and leave it at that, all the views are the same. Rooftopping is not exploring and way too many people are giving us a bad name by calling themselves 'urbexers' and 'explorers'. However every drain and every abandonment is different. The Urbex community is fucked up by 12 year olds and people that want to seem cool.
Glad i got that out.
By
rooftopping is exploring in my opinion. i mean you're actively seeking for ways to get somewhere where you shouldn't be/ isn't normally accessible/ isn't normally visited. it's in amongst an urban environment and not many people get to see the wonderful viewpoint that lies before you.
By
Rooftopping is exploring and it's the 15-20 year olds that are ruining it, breaking into places, tagging and posting photos and videos all over the internet trying to gain fame for it.
By
the 15-20 year olds that your speaking of are the ones that started it before us, i do agree though the people that go up tagging and stuff are the ones ruining it. I do agree, to some extent it exploring
By
Us? You're putting me in the same group of people as you? And you're assuming I haven't been doing it for long?
 Topic locked
Go