Login RegisterFAQ
Melbourne Drains Index/Map
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
So I just got linked this index of (supposedly) all the big drains the CC know of in Melbourne and the surrounding suburbs, the link to which I'll withhold for now. Besides, I presume most people around here will have seen it.
Anyway, I started mapping the locations on my private google map, and I have a couple of questions:

1. I am kinda new at this and I understand that there's some code of conduct that frowns upon just handing people drain locations on a silver platter? Am I on the mark with that?
2. If no. 1 is not too much of a problem, would people be interested in me maybe making this map a little more 'public'. Not like a general public sort of 'public', maybe just on the forums or even only to individuals?

Sorry if I come across as something of a newbie. :)
By
Thanks for your query :)

Referring to our code of conduct:

"Location Details:
Posts in the public forum must not reveal any specific location/entry details, either by map, photos, or descriptions on how to enter specific sites. Please contact staff before posting if you are unsure whether your material will be acceptable."

Ultimately though, anything members want to communicate by PM is at their own discretion. Can you be sure the recipient is trustworthy?
The protection of site locations is one of our highest priorities - not out of arrogance - but to ensure safety and security.

Cheers,
Nuggs
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Cheers Nuggs,
Given your response I think I'll just keep it to myself for now. If people want to see some of the info, I might selectively reveal individual locations if they PM me.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)
By
Nuggs wrote: Ultimately though, anything members want to communicate by PM is at their own discretion. Can you be sure the recipient is trustworthy?
I was sent the .kmz file by Panic after I had been a member for a short time.

It has kept me interested and active for the last year when I had a very short list of places to explore. I drive past some of these drains on the way to work every day and never would have known they existed without the file.

I agree totally with not giving out untouched abandonments as they get trashed very quickly. Not giving out drain locations I am in 2 minds about. There is an example of 2 people dying in a NSW drain from getting the location of entry on a public forum. This is just one example but I say people are responsible for their own choices. However if a kid dies in a drain and its found that the location is on a public forum Today Tonight will be right on it after their expose of the supermarket prices on prawns and it will be more difficult for everyone.

I would have not problems giving a newb the file that has shown interest by getting themselves to some places already and proved they are not a tard. Someone who just asks outright without any effort is best ignored.
By
benderz wrote: Today Tonight will be right on it after their expose of the supermarket prices on prawns and it will be more difficult for everyone.
AHAHA AMEN :lol:

You make a fair point, benderz. Better to stay on the safe side, I reckon. Cheers!
 Post a reply
Go