Login RegisterFAQ
Thinking about exploring an Abandonment - questions
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm thinking of entering abandonment round the Inner west.

Old house - looks to be a three bedroom single storey bungalow with wooden eves are displaying significant rot with lower awnings drooping somewhat - and the house seems to still have a full compliment of terracotta tiles - so I don't think the roof is in any danger of caving in because any water would still be directed off the main beams. Some windows are boarded up - however there do seem to be some gaps in windows and whatnot. Still need to do a preliminary poke around and see what's what.

Cylcone fencing with one lonely string of barbed wire along the border with black plastic to hide the house from view. Seems to be all encompassing.

So

- What items should I bring on the first pass? (I'm planning on using a torch, sturdy shoes, sensible thick clothing and some gloves)
- It's a corner property with frontage to a relatively busy road - but I'm planning on doing this around 3am anyway. Still might encounter foot traffic until I'm over fence - in which case the black privacy plastic works once I'm in.
- best way to breach a fence without damaging or any visible entry to it?

Any input on this is much appreciated.

Cheers

(Also I'm sure someone's done this property before - PM me if you think you know what I'm talking about)
By
yesquite wrote:- What items should I bring on the first pass? (I'm planning on using a torch, sturdy shoes, sensible thick clothing and some gloves)
Sounds like you got everything covered. Wear clothes you don't mind getting ripped if you don't know the site very well. You might also want to bring a respirator. Most people are fine without one, but I tend to be quite sensitive to dust. (Then there's all them asbestos and birdcrap etc.)
yesquite wrote:- It's a corner property with frontage to a relatively busy road - but I'm planning on doing this around 3am anyway. Still might encounter foot traffic until I'm over fence - in which case the black privacy plastic works once I'm in.
- best way to breach a fence without damaging or any visible entry to it?
If there's only one strand of barbed wire, it should be fine. Just walk around and find the best entry point. Most likely where the barbed wire is loose or so. In the unlikely event that it's perfectly maintained, find a tree or something. :lol: I once got into a construction site that way. At 3am, you really don't need to worry about traffic unless it's like the red light districts. :lol:

Enjoy your explore.

(I've also moved this since it's in the wrong section.)
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Make sure it is totally abandoned and that no one cares about it first of all.

If you are unsure, PM me the address and I can take a look around first to check it out, I live near the inner west.
By
tonyrules wrote:
If you are unsure, PM me the address and I can take a look around first to check it out,
"Please let me take all the risk and do this for you!"

I'd pm him!
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
i get around like sushi on a kaiten
By
I've always thought sneaking into a abandoned house or hospital-type building is risky by yourself, even though myself and others have done it before (although that was in a rural setting). It's sort of why I prefer warehouses, factories or places that have just closed.

I would scout the neighbourhood and get a feel for what the area is like as well, whether there's any graf etc... and the local news to see if there's been incidents in crime.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
bpatrick91 wrote:I often confront the neighbours and ask about the houses I've been adventuring in "Hi, I was just inside that house next door and wanted to know if there is any story behind it as to why its abandoned" people are usually quite friendly and helpful in giving you information if you just explain you're taking photographs or that you're typing up an article on abandonment in the city or whatever.
Nice to see a little bit of kindness still goes a long way. I was exploring in Goulburn (you all probably know the place I'm talking about) and a neighbour came out and told my mate and I that we were trespassing, but in more of a "just checking you know" tone than an outright negative tone. We told him we weren't vandals, that we were only taking pictures and were genuinely interested in the history of the building, and ended up having a long chat about the building and photography with this guy. Of course, that's not to say there would be instances where the opposite could happen...

As for your question, you seem to have it sussed out pretty well. Obviously when using the torch don't shine it straight out any windows, put your hand over it and move your fingers to allow small bits of light to come in if you're in danger from being spotted from outside. Stay safe and have fun :)
 Post a reply
Go