Login RegisterFAQ
Opinion Piece: Why you shouldn't post photos publicly - Page 4
By
Nuggs wrote:Thanks Audacia,
I read it all and will probably read again! I do mostly agree with the sentiment, and certainly do not want to see locations spoiled for the rest of us. Though UEGA is what it is, we are always happy to take suggestions on board and make positive changes.

Let me stress; the 'report' function should be used to highlight when a post may reveal a sensitive location etc. Any member can report a post, and explain to our mods why it should be removed from the public forum. Our mods (myself included) are not always aware of the particular sensitivities of a set of pics, or description of a site.

So instead of members replying to a post, commenting on the its revealing nature, or lengthy debates on this subject; a 'report' with a short explanation would be more useful, and actioned promptly.

Now, going to read your post again!
Thanks for you input mate :)
Thanks for the feedback mate, it's much appreciated. I certainly do appreciate what you guys are trying to do over here on UEGA - I can only imagine how difficult a task it would be to try admin a forum where the members aren't part of one collective group. I can imagine there would be a lot of differing opinions which would make reaching a common view a tad difficult. I can imagine that it would be even more difficult to try and ensure that everyone follows to some degree a set of ethics/guidelines when again they aren't defined or bound by a single and particular "group of members" such as is the C/C. But it does seem that you guys are up to the challenge and if you are indeed receptive to advice/suggestions from an established exploring group such as the C/C then I believe that it can only serve to benefit you guys positively over here and I know that we certainly do enjoy helping out fellow explorers with our experience whenever we can if they are open to suggestions.

It certainly is a lot of stuff to try and wrap your head around. It's taken us years to get to the point that we are at now and I can only presume that next year we will be attempting to deal with an entirely different issue! Anyway as I've said before my main intention of my original post was to properly and thoroughly explain the reasons behind our policy and that it is the direct product of real world consequences, not merely something that we assume might happen. Although Spoz and Draper did a good job of informing and addressing such issues and counter-policies to everyone in the first place, I did get the impression (as did they) that some people (including yourself) just didn't properly understand the true catalyst and justification behind such policies and instead presumed that we were just doing it so be secretive, elitist or what have you. So I hope that I have achieved this to some extent at least.

Would it be safe to presume that you now have a better understanding of why we have implemented the aforementioned policies?

Also, kudos on mentioning the 'report' function - I was not aware of that.
theedge wrote:Audacia-N: I also take photos but do it for documentary purposes only and definitely only share a location or pic after meeting someone in person once I think they are decent enough. So I pretty much get the point.
Good stuff mate, that's pretty much how the vast majority of the photographers in the clan operate.
benderz wrote:Interesting read Audacia-N.

I think you have hit the nail on the head when speaking about the difference between people in the CC and people who are not.

I have been going back and forth for around 2yrs now trying to meet up with the CC for the exact reason you noted. To meet up with people to explore and share new locations.

However, I rely on publicly posted locations to explore or finding irregular stuff I see in newspapers or drive past. I would much prefer to find places before they are posted publicly and destroyed, but it seems the decision is not in my hands.
Good to hear that you've properly understood where our motivations/intentions come from and that you're philosophy seems to be quite in line with ours.

As I highlighted in my original post, the important thing to remember about the C/C is that we have been around for a while now. We've been through a ton of drama from both forces inside and outside the group and at the end of the day we've had plenty of time to make mistakes - but most importantly we've learned how to best deal with these mistakes and the ever changing social issues that the world of recreational trespassing throws at us - the product of which is the Code of Ethics, of which is constantly being updated.

Have you contacted your local branch of the Cave Clan? If not then you can do so here: http://caveclan.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9158
Audacia of the Brisbane branch of the Cave Clan.
By
aydun wrote:
Audacia-N wrote:so in short I'm an elitist member of a group that is already considered elitist to begin with by some people outside the clan.
Well, this post certainly reinforces the opinions of those people.
I'm sure you realise elitist != elite.
Yep, I've got that one. My comment was merely a humorous and exaggerated response - or "tongue in cheek" as you put it - to the various "C/C elitism" related comments that have been thrown around in this thread.

The serious side to this point though was myself acknowledging my own degree of bias on the subject, which is that I'm an advocate for "not posting dodgy stuff online" in a group that already has the reputation to some as having "strict views" regarding such issues compared to those held by individuals, groups or forums that are relatively new to this exploring thing. The best indicator of bias is context, and when you’re dealing almost exclusively with the discussion of differing opinions, it’s pretty important that you put your cards on the table so to speak and let everyone else know where you're coming from. Hence why Mpi made it clear from the start that he is a photographer first and and an explorer second. He’s acknowledging that these views influence his opinion on the matter. Same reason I said that I’m not a photographer and that I have a vested interest in keeping locations accessible.

Also there's one important issue that has largely been glossed over and only just acknowledged by Nuggs and my fellow C/C members. Ok so I don't think many of us here would disagree about ensuring that photos do not include any obvious features, signs or clues as to the whereabouts of its' location. However this issue mainly just pertains to other explorers who have nefarious attentions, graffiti artists etc. Although the main issue/trend that we’ve noticed to be prevalent over the past few years are photos of dodgy locations that are being discovered online and most importantly are actually being recognised by the general public despite containing no obvious clues. How does this happen? Well let’s use Brisbane as an example. It's a relatively small city and is often described as merely having 2 degrees of separation between people. Basically when a photo goes up on facebook, instagram, whatever it often doesn’t take long for a member of the public to either come across said photo in their various feeds or be told about it by a friend. For example, let's consider just how many people are involved somewhere within the timeline or a hotel or residential high rise. Firstly we've got a myriad of construction workers, contractors, engineers, architects (the list goes on) working on the construction of the place before it's even finished. Once it is finished we've still got ongoing contractors doing various amounts of maintenance from window cleaning to lift maintenance. Staff and security that run & manage the building. Then of course you have the residents, guests of residences and the group subject to the largest turnaround - hotel guests. Anyway the list is already pretty extensive and it just keeps going on. Sure, a lot of people upon seeing a photo from a rooftop and recognising it probably can't be bothered to do anything about it or simply just don't care. But you'll always have Mr Joe Good Citizens who can't have anyone deviating from the norm, especially with those ridiculous roof topping articles that were going around a while back, and don't even get me started on those kids that hang their legs of the edge and take a photo *facepalm.

Anyway thanks to social media you'd be surprised just how many people become subjected to these photos that don't contain any clues to their location, other then the fact that they might just have been there themselves in one official way or another, or knows someone else that might have.
aydun wrote:There are very few, if any, 'sensitive' locations posted on UEGA. You'd probably be best taking this post to tumblr or Instagram or something.
Like Draper said, I'd beg to differ.
Audacia of the Brisbane branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Audacia-N wrote: Like Draper said, I'd beg to differ.
Report or PM the mods or myself if you see anything esp the main index list. We are happy to review, however I only know the stuff in the NSW. Any places being used, untouched, is heritage-listed or not known by the general public we filter away from the main forum.

Oh and we did leave some of the White bay Power Station posts in the main forum because there was an official open day years ago which some of us attended.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Board index » General » About UEGA » What is UEGA all about? by Titan

States that
the purpose of this forum is to simply reveal and showcase.
-
--> Darkday Flickr - Urbex Photos - Albums -- ---> Our Explores Posted List - 2 - UEGA
By
DeScent wrote:Board index » General » About UEGA » What is UEGA all about? by Titan

States that
the purpose of this forum is to simply reveal and showcase.
It also says any exploration should be organised with guided tours inside or out of the forums. But meh, I'm not a fan of the it's the way we've always done it mentality, things need to evolve and change or all you'll have left is your photos and your likes. It's a shame that a few will ruin it for the masses. And the few won't understand until it's too late.

Once again I appreciate the mods mentioning the report function. Interested to know, how are people vetted before getting access to the hidden sections of the forums?

No I'm off to beat a dead horse.
I put a "No Trespassing" sign on the fence. Now no one will enter.
By
Draper wrote:Once again I appreciate the mods mentioning the report function. Interested to know, how are people vetted before getting access to the hidden sections of the forums?
I'll admit, it's not easy to find :)
http://www.uega.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Audacia, that was incredibly long winded! You made some good points though and explained things pretty well.

I strongly agree with Audacia about the community aspect. The Cave Clan really does operate as a community, we explore together and share locations with each other. f***, last week we even sorted out accommodation for a member who had become homeless (real accomm, not an abando).

I don't find UEGA to have a sense of community at all. The attitude towards new explorers on here is pretty piss poor "we're not giving you location details until you show us yours". What happened to "hey new explorer, come meet up on this day and we'll show you some drains/low key abandos"? Putting on regular UEGA expos would be a good start.

As a side note, I don't think the cave clan isn't elitist at all. They let me join FFS.
By
Because UEGA is primarily an online group, unlike the Cave Clan.

"we're not giving you location details until you show us yours".
^though new members are encouraged to share/swap info, and showcase their own stuff before requesting intel, this needs to be done politely, and with respect. There are times when I have spoken to current members about their poor conduct towards new members.

"hey new explorer, come meet up on this day and we'll show you some drains/low key abandos"
^the majority of greetings actually do look more like this.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Also, UEGA lets anyone join.
Not that it's helpful at all to compare our groups. The dynamics are just too different.

But I'm certain each has it's pros and cons.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
I feel the topic has run its course and this thread is now locked. I appreciate the passion shown on both sides of the argument, but feel there is nothing more to be gained by going around in circles.

The forum's position is clear.
Any more questions or issues regarding this subject should be raised directly with the mods or admin.

Many thanks to all for your input,
Nuggs
acually is nuggs
My Explores
 Topic locked
Go