Login RegisterFAQ
Opinion Piece: Why you shouldn't post photos publicly - Page 2
By
The locations that stick out the most in my mind when I see something negative about exploring in the media is always rooftops, and recently it's always been a young looking kid usually with his legs hanging over the edge. It's those kind of photos which are drawing harsh attention, and it's based on public liability. i.e. What will happen if one of those kids falls off and kills themselves?

My ranting doesn't have anything to do with newer explorers going to places that the Cave Clan have explored.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
I haven't been here for a long time as I've been busy taking photos rather than talking about it ;) I did however notice quite a few hits come into my site from this thread which piqued my interest.

Thanks for the free advertising.

I've always said to anyone that asks, that I'm a photographer 100 times over before I'm an explorer. I take more photos of other s*** than I do urbex sites, perhaps you want to tell me off for taking a photo in my lounge room too? Photography takes me to cool/interesting places, not the other way around. If people can't handle this or want to claim some kind of authority on what I can and cannot do with my work. They are free to ignore it. I don't share locations, access information or anything of the like on my site or in my photographs - this is just common sense. If you think you're some super sleuth that can work out a location from my photographs, congratulations, you've just found a site the way 99% of the rest of us did, research.

Also - nothing anyone has posted here or elsewhere (that I've seen) isn't already all over sleepycity. Dsankt was EVERYWHERE before ANY of us and has happily shared his photos for the world to see for YEARS. I don't see anyone writing letters of complaint to him and if they did I'm sure if they did he'd feel much the same as I do - get over it.

As far as I see it, what I do in my spare time, with my camera is no one elses business.

Urbex has such a dramatised, petty scene built around it.
~ Windsor

My Photography: http://obscurepieces.com/
By
"fire is hot. touch it and see!"
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
i get around like sushi on a kaiten
By
mpi wrote:Thanks for the free advertising.
You're welcome ;)
By
btw - <3 you Aydun your no-ego attitude is the best mate. Keep it up, love your site.
~ Windsor

By
Haha cheers. And likewise, of course! We miss your face around here.
By
Have to catch up for an explore soon man, (if that's okay with the goose-steppers of course.)
~ Windsor

By
I think the main point isn't about taking or posting photos, but more about what details are put into the photos. Tag or describe a photo with something like "urbex", "rooftop" or "abandonment", it's going to get found and swept up by google etc... for all to see.

Tell you what, those search crawlers are mighty annoying as well. Have to deal with them at my day job all the time. We end up blocking them in the end.

Something to be conscious of before posting anything now.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
mpi wrote:Have to catch up for an explore soon man, (if that's okay with the goose-steppers of course.)
For sure. I'm keen to get back out there and put many a picture online.
theedge wrote:I think the main point isn't about taking or posting photos, but more about what details are put into the photos. Tag or describe a photo with something like "urbex", "rooftop" or "abandonment", it's going to get found and swept up by google etc... for all to see.
I really would like to think that that's their main point. However, judging by the title of this thread, and their arguments, I believe they mean photos should be banned from the internet.
By
"..quite a few hits come into my site from this thread..."

How do hits come to your site from here, and how do you know?
(Sorry, I'm not heaps net-savvy!)

Also, welcome back!
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Ah, disregard!
I just went back and saw Aydun had posted the link.
Great page BTW.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
What hope is there for you guys who are worried when you find this when searching for images in google using "urbex abandoned rooftop"? It's not your average Joe posting ambiguous pics that you should be worried about. It's mostly overseas stuff google finds first, even when adding Australia in the search bar.

I understand the argument about protecting locations (not necessarily in the sense of keeping it to only a handful of people, but stopping idiots and dogooders from mucking things up for those who respect these places) but I also enjoy the artistic aspect, not to mention documenting pieces of history with photographs. Funnily enough, I think rooftop pics should be treated much more cautiously though.

I know photos have inspired me to find places and I've still enjoyed those locations when I've been there. I also know that photos posted openly, if done correctly, wouldn't automatically lead to all sorts of people a) finding a location and b) knowing how to access it. People are generally lazy, and unless they're dead keen in hunting down a place from a couple of obscure photos, then chances are they'll move onto to something easier. This would likely be somewhere which is more commonly known about, and no doubt easier to gain entry to without needing sledgehammer tactics because they're not stealthy enough to do it any other way. Those sorts of places would be much lower on the list of priorities for some of the more hard-core urbexers who frequent these sorts of forums.
Jaffs on CC and Jaffs01 on Flickr
"urbex is not for tourists......its for adventurers" DeScent (RIP)
By
mpi wrote:aggressive rant
I'm not telling you what to do. I don't consider myself an authority as you say; I'm just someone who's seen the results of social media first hand and sharing my experience. I'm disappointed to see how this hobby has changed since I got into it - and that was just a few years ago. I don't even compare myself to the explorers who got me into it in the first place.

Please don't take my opinion the wrong way, it is just that, and I purposely spelled it out as such.

Now I'm not going to bother posting a rebuttal to your rant because I think one of the following things has happened:

a) You've not properly read my post, or
b) You've not understood my post, or
c) I have made some error in my logic or conclusions that you have failed to point out.

What you said pretty much just reiterates what I said, except you're finding yourself on the other side of the coin and getting defensive about it. You said it yourself, you put photography first and exploring second. My opinion is from the perspective of someone who likes to visit cool places and - OMG surprise - even share that experience with others. As I write this I just got back from having a sneaky rooftop beer with five of my friends after a long shitty day at work, and it was the highlight of my week so far. If you think I'm against sharing locations you've misunderstood me.
By
Just going to pop my two cents in because I can. I think this thread has been misunderstood and interpreted as "DON'T PUT PHOTOS ON THE INTERNET OTHERWISE YOU'RE STUPID!"
Don't think that that's what was being implied although I totally understand if people are like "f&$% off", I do what I want.

I view it as Spoz's opinion but at the same time as a bit of advice for people, how you act after reading it is of course up to you. Do what you want but just be aware of the repercussions and if you don't care well that sucks but what can anyone do. That last point would be related to the "respect" that people have for locations. Why would anyone want an amazing piece of infrastructure to be graffed to hell, identified by the council or powers that be and locked up so no one could ever return?

Drains, whatever. They're all over the internet. Rooftops hard to really stop anyone. Infrastructure, stuff that is of a sensitive nature... THAT's the sort of stuff that everyone who is lucky enough to have explored should protect. IMO of course, let me stress that.

I have photos up on Flickr, hell I even had a Facebook page at one stage because I wasn't aware of the damage that I was doing. Being informed and slowly realising over time myself, I decided to change my ways. This annoying rant, like this whole thread is purely my opinion though. Apologies if I rub anyone up the wrong way.

Aydun, post all the photos you want man. The artistic value in photography and what some of these locations has to offer is wonderful. Sharing it with people is gratifying. I understand completely. Just before you post photos of certain locations on what is basically a public forum like UEGA. Think twice about posting up photos of high value locations that the powers that be would look for and lock up immediately as it's in their best interests.

PS. This post is WAY too long but, all this rebuttal attack about hypocrisy etc. Everyone is acknowledging that, it's time to move on. Just because they did it in the past, does that mean everyone should keep doing it now? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to evolve?
By
I concur that there's been a degree of misunderstanding. Hopefully one day you'll realise that however innocent you think some photos are, they are probably doing damage for the future of the hobby. It may have no impact on you...but think of the children :P

The problem with communicating via text is just this, it's hard to convey feeling. Perhaps a beer and a chat would help those on either side of the coin. None of this is a personal attack or a group vs group thing.
I put a "No Trespassing" sign on the fence. Now no one will enter.
By
Draper wrote: None of this is a personal attack or a group vs group thing.
Good point, seeing as everyone who has posted is on UEGA, if that was the case it would be like batting against your own team. Jeez, I hate cricket. Same team..whatever

This thread is, in general, healthy discussion based on the first word of the post's title. Mine is that I'll continue on business as usual, perhaps with some additional consideration/discretion on the location in which I share the results of my hobby, based on the nature of the subject. For the most of it, nothing will change at all, given my current preference for wet, easily accessible holes over dusty, ninja-skills-requiring ones.
By
No+Pro wrote:Jeez, I hate cricket.
You're warned.
Don't come in here trying to start arguments with such a provocative statement.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Nuggs wrote:Ah, disregard!
I just went back and saw Aydun had posted the link.
Great page BTW.
Cheers dude ^_^
~ Windsor

By
I love how this thread has just turned into exactly the type of circlejerk I alluded to in the original post.

Anyway, that's my food for thought. Enjoy, everyone.
By
Spoz wrote:
Counter rant.
I read understood your post fine dude. My post wasn't a personal attack, so don't take it as one. It was more a general 'rant' on the authority that some try to put over others because they feel like its their exclusive right (probably more aggressive than required, but I get pretty testy about being told what to do).

I've posted on all sorts of facebook pages etc. in the past berating folks that share locations etc. As this is can put kids in danger. Thats it. Sharing sites could lead to a death of some dumb kid and I'm not cool with that. I don't tell people not to share locations cuz I feel like only me and mine have an exclusive right to them, I think that's arrogant. If you think you have the right to keep this kind of activity exclusive for you and your buddies then this is where we don't see eye to eye. This isn't some club, there are no rules or authority, no matter how many the CC write.

Also I don't think that its unfair to say that the sharing of locations of certain large pieces of infrastructure are as much the result of CC member tongue wagging as any photo sites. I know you and a few of the others keep a tight lid on, but you said it yourself, information moves like wildfire and the story usually is more like Bob heard it from Joe heard it from Tim heard if from his cousin Billy - who is a member of the CC. I prefer to find s*** myself as it is more fun that way. But you can't expect anything to stay a secret even amongst your own circles.

From my perspective I don't feel like I have any exclusive rights, or authority on saying who should or shouldn't be able to sneak into whatever place they like. I am a photographer. I take photos. I share them with the world, as is my want and the only way I can build a future career. Some of these sites are also frequented by Urban Explorers. If you have a problem with multi use of sites, then there's not much you can do about it but get needlessly frustrated and angry at others for not following your rules. This goes for graffers too, they have just as much right to illegal activity as you. That is, none. If you don't like what they do, the worst you can do is beat yourself up over it.

I'm saying take a chill pill dude. I've met you several times and you're a really nice guy, I'd never have expected to see you trying to convince/tell/argue/whatever others to follow the rules of the CC. I don't agree with a lot of things that people in the world do, but there isn't much I can do about it other than carry on with my life and try not to get too pissed when others f*** up my plans. I reckon you'll find little bursts of urbex activity have sprung up in the past when everyone gets excited and posts to face book. Give it a few months, the trend will wear thin, no one will care anymore and you can carry on with your private hobby.

That's all I'll say on the matter. This is a needless argument. I appreciate your position mate, but nothing in your post convinces me that I shouldn't do what I want with my own photography. You say that I gain nothing from sharing photos, but that's like saying a painter shouldn't ever take a painting out of their studio cuz its theirs and they don't need to share it. Kinda flies in the face of human nature as far as I can tell.
~ Windsor

By
Spoz wrote:I love how this thread has just turned into exactly the type of circlejerk I alluded to in the original post.

Anyway, that's my food for thought. Enjoy, everyone.

Seriously?
~ Windsor

By
Keve wrote:stuff

You're a good dude with sensible input in to this thread. I personally miss seeing your photographs, they were always interesting.
~ Windsor

By
mpi, most of what you wrote says to me you didn't understand the original post in the way it was intended. That's cool, it's been said and as I said it's hard to convey true meaning via words on a screen sometimes. You'll take from it what you will as will everyone else, you're obviously not going to change and of course that's your call. No argument there...remember this was an opinion...not a demand. Again, it's not a CC way or the highway thing. There's no authority here and I think we're all aware of that.

There are valid points from both sides that's for sure.
I put a "No Trespassing" sign on the fence. Now no one will enter.
By
mpi wrote:
Spoz wrote:
Counter rant.
I read understood your post fine dude. My post wasn't a personal attack, so don't take it as one. It was more a general 'rant' on the authority that some try to put over others because they feel like its their exclusive right (probably more aggressive than required, but I get pretty testy about being told what to do).
I appreciate you following up with something more constructive. I understand your position.

The reason I posted here is not to get people to "follow the CC rules" but because I find myself having the same conversation over and over with people. It often leads to them being more selective with what they put online.

As I said before, I'm sharing my experience, and it was written for people who might read it and say "Oh, I hadn't thought of that".

If less locations end up trashed or inaccessible as a result then I will feel like it was worth my time to write.
By
I had my doubts about this thread, as the opening post (whilst making some good points) was provocative to say the least, and the responses should have been no surprise to anyone.

There have been some good points made on either side - and I hope ya'll keep it a bit civil, as all explorers may learn something from reading this thread.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
 Topic locked
Go