Login RegisterFAQ
QLD cops using social media to crack down on rooftoping
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Queensland Police say they are using social media to crack down on the dangerous new trend of "rooftopping".

The trend involves people illegally climbing high-rise buildings and dangling over the edge, then posting photos on social media.

Brisbane social media users have caught on to the trend, with photos from a number of high rises appearing online.

They include a number of climbers on the under-construction Meriton building, which is Brisbane's highest building at 262 metres.

Fortitude Valley Inspector David Morganti says rooftoppers could face up to 12 months in prison if they are caught after sharing their photos on social media.

"Obviously it makes it more accessible and people can see it more easily rather than a hard copy photo obviously so it does put it out there for more people to see," he said.

"But at the same time it puts it out there for more of us to say how irresponsible and dangerous it is as well.

"So hopefully the majority of the public will condemn this behaviour and say it's not worth it and hopefully that message will get through."

Inspector Morganti says rooftopping is classed as an "unregulated, high-risk activity" and offenders could also face more $1,500 in fines and also be prosecuted for trespassing.

"Obviously we are concerned about the public safety aspect. It's high risk, it's dangerous and we don't want to see people getting hurt or injured or worse," he said.

"We don't want to have to go in to someone's door and knock on their parents door and tell them that someone's been seriously injured conducting this kind of irresponsible and highly risky behaviour."
Defiant rooftoppers say not even a death would deter them.

The Brisbane street artist and rooftopper known as the Blu Art Xinja says climbing buildings is for adrenaline junkies and police warnings will not stop the trend.

"I think it is dangerous for people to get on top of buildings, but I personally don't mind danger - a lot of people don't," he said.

"Even if someone died in an accident from it I don't think it would be deterrent if you like doing it anyway.

"People will always catch on to something if it is fun and go and run with it if it's exciting or new. I think the photos are being spread and people will be drawn to it or be scared by it.

"I do hope the craze dies down so I can keep doing it with less eyes watching me."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-29/p ... nd/5126066

Watch out Brissy kiddies, I guess we are all next.
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Like his last statement "I do hope the craze dies down...". As long as you let people see the pics, it won't.

Always the optimist.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Meh, im scared of heights anyways ;)
 Post a reply
Go