Login RegisterFAQ
All work and no play
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
On the job, Brisbane Southside.
⌀1600 pipe going under an industrial site for a few hundred metres.
Needed to find a long-lost manhole and chamber.
The machine got bogged in the mud after about 20 metres :lol:

Trying GPR tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, I Might have to go back after hours ;­)

acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Whatever it is i like it, infact I think i need to invest in one.
By
:) You'd wanna be making money from it!
A setup like that one would be at least 100 grand.
It's called the SuperVision by Envirosight.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Guess i will have to settle for a rc monster truck with my go pro attached to it :lol:
By
LASER mapping/measurement of the interior of a trunk water main chamber near the city:

acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Great pics Nuggs :) are the triangle lids always associated with watermains?
By
Thanks!
No, those lids are usually over sewer junctions/pits.
On this occasion it was a valve chamber for one of the city's trunk (1.6m dia) water mains.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Yikes 1.6m diameter water main :) that's impressive! I take it it's not under pressure?

Is the triangle cover supposed to point in any specified direction? Like upstream or downstream etc?

Hope you don't mind the 20 questions, but you seem to have a fair bit of interesting job related knowledge!

Cheers
By
The main is under very high pressure.
From my experience, the triangle is usually pointing in the direction of the route - but not necessarily pointing up or downstream.
I'm more than happy to answer questions :D
By
I'd love to get a hold of GPR for some things like the Bankstown bunker and some of the old military stuff that's disused.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
Time to get a few Arduino processors and build one of these.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Panic! wrote:I'd love to get a hold of GPR for some things like the Bankstown bunker and some of the old military stuff that's disused.
Have the GPR with me all of the time in QLD, but was unable to take it on my last trip down to Syd.
Will make sure I have it next time I come, and we'll get some flouro vests, beers, and organise a day out!
By
By
By
Might have to get out my modern warfare RC camera car lol. Knew I bought the collectors edition for something!
By
By
aydun wrote:Might have to get out my modern warfare RC camera car lol. Knew I bought the collectors edition for something!
A physical car? O.O

Nuggs wrote:
Midget wrote:The 50 dollar solution.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/j1of2/sets ... 283492354/
I need one of those for our guest bedroom.
Me too. :lol: :lol:
By
Midget wrote:
aydun wrote:Might have to get out my modern warfare RC camera car lol. Knew I bought the collectors edition for something!
A physical car? O.O
This :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkSRzyD3ms. Might work as long as the ground's flat and no corners haha..
By
aydun wrote:
Midget wrote:
A physical car? O.O
This :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkSRzyD3ms. Might work as long as the ground's flat and no corners haha..
Pretty awesome, but I think the AR Parrot with a camera might be better. :D Imagine flying one of those in a drain. :lol:
By
Midget wrote:
aydun wrote:This :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkSRzyD3ms. Might work as long as the ground's flat and no corners haha..
Pretty awesome, but I think the AR Parrot with a camera might be better. :D Imagine flying one of those in a drain. :lol:
Yes! Would be so awesome. They seem pretty indestructible at least :lol: .
By
aydun wrote:
Midget wrote:
aydun wrote:This :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkSRzyD3ms. Might work as long as the ground's flat and no corners haha..
Yes! Would be so awesome. They seem pretty indestructible at least :lol: .
Not sure about them being that strong. Would be pretty funny if you flew one into a drain, then had to go in anyways to retrieve the parts of your drone.
By
Midget wrote: Not sure about them being that strong. Would be pretty funny if you flew one into a drain, then had to go in anyways to retrieve the parts of your drone.
Definitely defeats the point :lol: :lol:
By
aydun wrote:
Midget wrote: Not sure about them being that strong. Would be pretty funny if you flew one into a drain, then had to go in anyways to retrieve the parts of your drone.
Definitely defeats the point :lol: :lol:
:lol: Or get another one with a remote claw to pick up the pieces. :lol:
By
I always thought the car was a good idea but the AR parrot is decent. That said the only issue is range and signal interference and what not. There is stuff out there which uses a Kinect plus a LIDAR in order to generate automatic maps. I think someone who has enough tech know how (I did my thesis using the Kinect) could do something. That said it kind of defeats the purpose of going draining, part of the fun is trekking into somewhere without knowing what is in the great beyond.
By
hawkeye5086 wrote:I always thought the car was a good idea but the AR parrot is decent. That said the only issue is range and signal interference and what not. There is stuff out there which uses a Kinect plus a LIDAR in order to generate automatic maps. I think someone who has enough tech know how (I did my thesis using the Kinect) could do something. That said it kind of defeats the purpose of going draining, part of the fun is trekking into somewhere without knowing what is in the great beyond.
True, true. But what if it's a sewer, or something that requires a lot of crawling? I'd use a drone for that, but the rest, I'm fine with just good ol' exploring.

Oh, and sewers. Don't want to walk though that just to meet a dead end. (Would be a good anecdote though.)
 Post a reply
Go