Login RegisterFAQ
Abandoned Aircraft??
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey I just got a hot tip from a mate about an old ww2 era plane sitting on top of a mountain in reasonable distance of brisbane. Apparently it is very well intact and not at all widely known about. He's seen the photos so its definately legit. Still working on a location, I was just curious if anyone had heard any rumors of this? (And no I'm not talking about the stinzon wreck before you ask)
By
Have heard of lots of old sealed bunkers etc, but nothing like that.
Will be looking into this. Let me know if you get any more info, and I'll do the same.
Cheers!
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Will certainly do. We're working on buttering up the bloke who took the pics to give us a hint as to locations. If we can find this it would be an awesome explore.
By
"Did you know urine is sterile? That's right, you can drink it."
By
I had a good look on that site too. One in particular caught my eye and i forwarded the pics for my mate to have a look at, just waiting on a reply. But from what he described this thing is damn near untouched so it has me pretty intrigued.
By
If you find it pics are a must. Or you will be banned !

Ok maybe not that bad but everyone will be upset. :)
By
Haha yeah I've set myself up on this one :lol: If it's out there I'll find it. Or be very disappointed myself lol
By
Stinson crash site. Mate's been there, it's about 4 hours each way. Wear pants or your legs will get shredded by nettle!
~ Windsor

My Photography: http://obscurepieces.com/
By
Haha nah this is no stinson wreck. This bloke had photos showing fully intact fuselage, engines etc. Stinson got souvenired long before anyone on this forum was born lol
By
Oh really... sounds pretty amazing!
~ Windsor

By
Any updates?
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Not yet and its doing my head in!!! Will be catching up with the mate of a mate of a mate this sat so hopefully I can push him for info..
By
Sooooo ;) ...
By
Still no dice thus far. This guy has shut up tighter than a clam. I'm not giving up on this one though cos I know for a fact it is out there!
By
By
I did an aircraft graveyard in the UK, after what was a lot of squeezing and getting stuck in a tight spot, I discovered there is no way to get from the bomb bay doors to the cockpit through the plane...
By
Panic, That space shuttle is cool as hell, they sure don't leave stuff like that lying around in Brisbane! Good to see you've got your site back up too.
Nick, I've always been amazed by the pictures I've seen of Aircraft graveyards, yet another thing we don't get here (That I know of anyway)
By
There aren't any in Aus I'm aware of, although there was talk of "Building" one near Alice Springs if I recall. (Although how you "Build" a dumping ground for old aircraft is beyond me)

The one thing I realized when doing them is that a "Graveyard" is almost entirely made up of one type of aircraft. When they decommission a fleet they all go there and they're poured over for scraps to keep the others going, but there is little difference between exploring one identical aircraft to another when they're all the same.

Have a poke around your nearby airfield, the smaller the better, you may find one just sitting in the long grass etc forgotten about. They're like Pokemon.
By
The biggest one in the USA is Davis Monthan, a big site where they reclaim ex military aircraft parts. You can do tours of it. Then on the highway between Pheonix and Tuscon you can see civillian air parks to the south of the highway where they retire and store commercial jets. I went past there in 2002 on a Greyhound coach and saw them off in the distance. I was able to make out the tail insignia of 3 Ansett jets there. It was sad to see them. I have just one photo of that and it is shitt as. I had a Kodak DC215 camera with no zoom so even blowing the image up you can barely make out the planes.
Tuscon also has a nice missile silo museum.
By
If you do find a plane that has not been yet discovered, be sure to inform the Australian War memorial, after you get your personal glory off-course.
Documenting & preserving a lost aircraft would be better for all instead of it getting looted & trashed.
Nick wrote:...I discovered there is no way to get from the bomb bay doors to the cockpit through the plane...
So much for Dr Strangelove.
PanicUE wrote:The biggest one in the USA is Davis Monthan, a big site where they reclaim ex military aircraft parts. You can do tours of it.
I've only seen this place on Google Maps, & it's awesome. The whole aray of US Air Force & Navy/Marine aircraft from B-52s (including ones chopped up & left to be detected by Russian satellites as part of a treaty) to F-14 Tomcats, F-15s, F-18s, aerial tankers & transports, & even B-1 bombers.
One of my life dreams is to visit this place, & the Bletchley Park museum.

See it here..
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=davis ... 15000&z=16

(you can get different views at different times by zooming in & out, the closer you zoom in the more recent the pic).
By
I'd be keen for a hike to try and find it Dynamite, might be a bit needle in hay stack but I like bush walking anyhow. We could hold hands, maybe.
~ Windsor

By
Definately keen for a look sometime, just a matter of narrowing down our search area to some extent. Hand holding reserved for emergencies only lol
By
I'm keen too! Let me know when you are down for the search ;)
Spades
By
Are we talking about Mt Superbus?

"On the southern most peak just below the summit lies the wreck of a World War II Lincoln bomber."
-Wiki

Have seen pics of it. On Ozatwar, I think.
Strewn wreckage, but some easily recognisable bits of fuselage, engines, landing gear etc.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
I've seen the pics of that too. It looks cool. I'd be keen for a look at that sometime just for the hell of it, but the rumour goes that this other one is in better shape. The photos my mate were shown were a lot more recent too, bout 2009-ish.
 Post a reply
Go