Login RegisterFAQ
 Post a reply
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hmm true.. how shall I power this fan? might need a spare tractor battery and a heatsink lol
By
Dynamite wrote:Hmm true.. how shall I power this fan? might need a spare tractor battery and a heatsink lol
How are you going to carry all this?

Might as well bring in a tractor. :D Or ask Panic if he's got any drainmobiles.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Back to the P7, the torch seems to be getting considerably dimmer over time. I didn't think that these type of leds did this, any suggestions?
By
Joker wrote:Back to the P7, the torch seems to be getting considerably dimmer over time. I didn't think that these type of leds did this, any suggestions?
I've never heard about LEDs that did that. :shock: If the battery is one of those rechargeable ones, maybe it's life is running out quick per recharge? You should get at least a thousand cycles, but sometimes you get the dodgy ones. (For example, there were some Apple iPods that had that problem.)
By
Joker wrote:Back to the P7, the torch seems to be getting considerably dimmer over time. I didn't think that these type of leds did this, any suggestions?
That's the IC feeding it less current as the battery weakens, it's purpose is to preserve battery.
One of the settings changes this so it stays bright till battery dies, but doesn't last as long. Eight half presses and then a full press or something, forget exactly how lol..

If you mean weaker even on new batteries, and it's under a year or two, then it's faulty and you should return it.
By
aydun wrote:
That's the IC feeding it less current as the battery weakens, it's purpose is to preserve battery.
One of the settings changes this so it stays bright till battery dies, but doesn't last as long. Eight half presses and then a full press or something, forget exactly how lol..

If you mean weaker even on new batteries, and it's under a year or two, then it's faulty and you should return it.
may have to... then again it has been bashed around a bit in the drains.
By
aydun wrote:

I never knew they had ICs to regulate the current. I thought the battery automatically put out less juice... Yeah... that's probably why I'm failing my Science...
By
My little cheapo $10 one has been kicking for over 2 years on same batteries without an issue ;)
By
Titan wrote:My little cheapo $10 one has been kicking for over 2 years on same batteries without an issue ;)
Is that an indication of how often it gets used?

Lol its a backup. So it gets used here and there.
The headlamp and the Trustfire get used rest of the times.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
I just bulk bought a shitload of Cree T6 LED Ultrafire Made In China speacials (Superfire rip-offs) ranging from 1600lm ($20), 1800lm ($25), & 2000lm ($30). The 2000lm torches are almost as bright as a car headlight at full zoom, & for the prices quoted they come with a charger & 3000mAh Li-ion 18650 battery.
Brand name (Led Lenser etc) of similar luminousity ratings cost over 4 times as much.

I've sold most of them already to friends & fellow explorers, but I have 1 or 2 left of each for anybody that is interested. And this is cost price due to getting a discount for the bulk buy. Some of you have already seen the 1800lm torch field tested in a drain.
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Midget wrote:
aydun wrote:

I never knew they had ICs to regulate the current. I thought the battery automatically put out less juice... Yeah... that's probably why I'm failing my Science...
Haha I mainly know because of the promotional material that came with the torch :P But yeah, there's a lot more to decent LED torches than you'd think.
By
blakjak wrote:I just bulk bought a shitload of Cree T6 LED Ultrafire Made In China speacials (Superfire rip-offs) ranging from 1600lm ($20), 1800lm ($25), & 2000lm ($30). The 2000lm torches are almost as bright as a car headlight at full zoom, & for the prices quoted they come with a charger & 3000mAh Li-ion 18650 battery.
Brand name (Led Lenser etc) of similar luminousity ratings cost over 4 times as much.

I've sold most of them already to friends & fellow explorers, but I have 1 or 2 left of each for anybody that is interested. And this is cost price due to getting a discount for the bulk buy. Some of you have already seen the 1800lm torch field tested in a drain.
Just an FYI, a halogen car headlight on average is 1000 lumen.
And since car headlights generally aren't as focused as torches, a less powerful torch 'should' appear brighter than a car headlight.
Still pretty good value, but don't trust the specs of cheap torches :P
By
aydun wrote:
blakjak wrote:I just bulk bought a shitload of Cree T6 LED Ultrafire Made In China speacials (Superfire rip-offs) ranging from 1600lm ($20), 1800lm ($25), & 2000lm ($30). The 2000lm torches are almost as bright as a car headlight at full zoom, & for the prices quoted they come with a charger & 3000mAh Li-ion 18650 battery.

Just an FYI, a halogen car headlight on average is 1000 lumen.
And since car headlights generally aren't as focused as torches, a less powerful torch 'should' appear brighter than a car headlight.
Still pretty good value, but don't trust the specs of cheap torches :P
You are right, but the car bean is not too much wider at the same distance.
I have a lumen meter, I am not sure of it's acuracy though as the 2000lm torch makes the neddle go off the meter which has a 3k lm limit.

I have been a torch nerd ever since I got into the ubex game, I have put in years of research & testing in the urbex field to this. And I only bought these torches for mates & associates & am offering the few spare ones I have in case people need a practical torch to use while exploring. And I am offering them at cost price, the only profit I get is a few spare batteries lol.

Anyway, thanks or your heads up & insightful information.

BJ
By
By
blakjak wrote:I have a lumen meter, I am not sure of it's acuracy though as the 2000lm torch makes the neddle go off the meter which has a 3k lm limit.

I have been a torch nerd ever since I got into the ubex game, I have put in years of research & testing in the urbex field to this.
I didn't know you had a lumen meter, you've never mentioned that. Did you just get it?

I'm also a torch nerd. I've been restraining myself from posting what I have in this thread though.
By
Scarecrow wrote:
blakjak wrote:I have a lumen meter, I am not sure of it's acuracy though as the 2000lm torch makes the neddle go off the meter which has a 3k lm limit.

I have been a torch nerd ever since I got into the ubex game, I have put in years of research & testing in the urbex field to this.
I didn't know you had a lumen meter, you've never mentioned that. Did you just get it?

I'm also a torch nerd. I've been restraining myself from posting what I have in this thread though.
I've got a old analogue photography one, & a digital one on my solar powered keyboard.
By
Just bought a small CREE torch and a CREE headlamp. Cheapy ebay 300 lm units just to have as a backup.

I like torches also, its ok to admit it fellas :D
By
By
blakjak wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:

I've got a old analogue photography one, & a digital one on my solar powered keyboard.
Are you sure it is a lumen meter and not a lux meter? Lumens are difficult to measure because they represent the total amount of light. (Also favoured by torch manufacturers because they dont have to take into account the beam distribution which would make a throwy light appear brighter on paper than a floody light)

Lux is lumens per square meter and is more useful for measuring light for photography purposes. If you hold your 2000 lumen torch right up against a lux meter you will have, for example, 2000 lumens over a two square-centimeter area, which your meter would read as 5 million lumens per square meter (lux).
By
benderz wrote:Can anyone offer some advice on either of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2000-Lm-Zoom ... 43ba15369a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4000-Lumens- ... 19d9a3881b

One is 2000lm, the other is 4000 with the price difference $20 to $32. The 2000lm seems way more popular, but would the 4000lm be noticibly better?
The lumen ratings for any of these eBay torches are heavily inflated. That being said, they're still much better than Maglites or any of your supermarket torches.

I would recommend the 2000lm one (I've got a similar sized one). You don't really want to use a torch too bright because it's better to use a dimmer light and let your eyes adjust to the darkness. And also the 2000lm one looks smaller and easier to carry around as well.

But if I was to recommend a torch, I would recommend that you get a head torch instead, makes climbing, etc much easier if you have the use of both hands!
By
Thanks for the advice. I can imagine the lumens are exagerated for sales purposes only, but I want upgrade my coles special to something better.
I have a headlamp which comes in very handy for climbing and playing around with the camera and tripod but I didnt think it would throw out anywhere near the same amount of light. Looking at this sellers head lights, they seem to be comparable to the hand held.
I may just get them both....
By
One of the best headlights I've seen is the Led Lenser H14R. R for recharchable (there is also a standard 4xAA version).
By
By
I was thinking about the eagletac G25C2 flashlight as it has those filter attachments and it looks like it casts a wide consistent beam that could be used for light painting large buildings or really large dark rooms but reading this thread about the cheap ebay torches has got me thinking twice.

Do the cheap ebay ones give out a wide beam? I haven't seen many tests of them.

Can't wait for benderz test.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Here is the test I did today.

Here is a couple of pics of a direct comparison side by side.

Coles Torch, Test 1, taken on auto no flash settings.

Cree taken on manual setting used in previous shot.

Test 2

Cree test on auto no flash settings

Coles special on same settings
 Post a reply
Go