Login RegisterFAQ
Yarra drain east of anzac
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Gday

Was thinking of going for an explore of the drain to the east of Anzac, apparently has a pretty cool falls, although I've heard the rumour that it is intentionally flooded randomly to keep it clean and flowing, with no warning. Anyone know how true that is? Cheers
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Never heard that. That rumour may have started from the video where a few of us had to pop a manhole to get out. The drain was starting to flood but it wasn't raining outside, but that was just because the rain was hitting further up the system.

3 waterfalls.

One of the best mostly round drains I've done.

The brick part used to be part of Anzac.
By
ironfistdoug wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 12:09 pm
Never heard that. That rumour may have started from the video where a few of us had to pop a manhole to get out. The drain was starting to flood but it wasn't raining outside, but that was just because the rain was hitting further up the system.

3 waterfalls.

The brick part used to be part of Anzac.
Cheers Doug! Is that video still on your channel? What's it called/got a link? Love your content :D
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
hman_172 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 3:45 pm

Cheers Doug! Is that video still on your channel? What's it called/got a link? Love your content :D
Thanks.

Yeah, it's pretty shoddy video.
It's the first two minutes of this...

By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
ironfistdoug wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 12:09 pm
Seconded!
It's a great drain, a decent walk too; if you're in no rush.
A personal favourite for sure.
Don't slip in poo
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I think there's something to this rumour, but not in the sense of deliberate random flushing of the drain system.

In 2009 Stonnington council built a storm water harvesting reservoir (300kl) under and around Como park oval which diverts water from the large Prahran main drain catchment, which is serviced by Anzac and Como falls drains. The harvested storm water is treated and used for watering of parklands, toilets, fountains, etc.

When the system operates correctly and the reservoir is not full, both Anzac and Como falls drains may have less water running through them. When operating incorrectly, this could lead to more water in the drains. Water may be released into the drains (especially Como) when the reservoir is full.

I took a stroll up Como two weeks back and noticed a distinct smell of chlorine at one point less than 1km up the right split, which may be related to the treatment for the reservoir. A small pipe branched off in the direction of Como Park in the same area. So the activity of the harvesting reservoir may well be the origin of what the OP heard about?

On another note - what a great drain! The falls were fantastic! Lots of fun. A couple of areas of spraycrete evidences recent-ish repair work up near the third falls. Reminds us that these wonderful places won't last forever. Explore them while you can!!
By
DiscoVietnam wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 2:43 pm
I think there's something to this rumour, but not in the sense of deliberate random flushing of the drain system.

In 2009 Stonnington council built a storm water harvesting reservoir (300kl) under and around Como park oval which diverts water from the large Prahran main drain catchment, which is serviced by Anzac and Como falls drains. The harvested storm water is treated and used for watering of parklands, toilets, fountains, etc.

When the system operates correctly and the reservoir is not full, both Anzac and Como falls drains may have less water running through them. When operating incorrectly, this could lead to more water in the drains. Water may be released into the drains (especially Como) when the reservoir is full.

I took a stroll up Como two weeks back and noticed a distinct smell of chlorine at one point less than 1km up the right split, which may be related to the treatment for the reservoir. A small pipe branched off in the direction of Como Park in the same area. So the activity of the harvesting reservoir may well be the origin of what the OP heard about?

On another note - what a great drain! The falls were fantastic! Lots of fun. A couple of areas of spraycrete evidences recent-ish repair work up near the third falls. Reminds us that these wonderful places won't last forever. Explore them while you can!!
You're right! There's an article here:

https://www.clearwatervic.com.au/resour ... roject.php

There's a similar harvesting facility in Officer which we called D-Cans (as a homage to the MASSIVE G-Cans in Japan)... that was accessible for a little while and then not so much after full completion, probably the same size. Officer is interesting because it's nowhere near any major drainage infrastructure AFAIK, just a pit built in super low-lying land that had the danger of turning into a lake and swallowing the local civic centre with it.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
My understanding of rainwater harvesting tanks/reservoirs is when they're full the excess water will flow into the outlet drain, so they shouldn't flood randomly.

There's a big one on the city side of the Yarra near Birrarung Marr or somewhere along there and also one under the park near Maze.
I've heard there are plenty more and hundreds planned.
 Post a reply
Go