Login RegisterFAQ
Cell Towers / Climbs around the hills
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Has anyone in Sydney climbed any cell towers ever? I see it everywhere for other places like in America but never done in Australia. I've found many cell towers that look climable however i'm worried theres something I don't know considering i can't find any accounts that have done them in australia
By
Ionizing radiation. Google it.
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Ive done power line towers, never to the top but ive been fine, cell towers, i have no clue
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
radiation wont feel real good on ya wouldnt recommend it
INSTAGRAM:@ue_syd
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
I climbed a Telstra tower, in Victoria though, about 7 years back. Haven't died yet. Though perhaps it's slowly creeping up on me.
(Unsure if true but someone once told me it was only dangerous if you stood infront of the dishes and various apparatus on them).

Not to say I'd recommend climbing them though. I just did whatever I saw back then without thinking of potential risks.
Both in terms of your health and the added legalities around telecom infrastructure.

Please excuse the extremely blurry 7 year old photos. That first one perhaps says it all.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
Echo wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 2:51 pm
I climbed a Telstra tower, in Victoria though, about 7 years back. Haven't died yet. Though perhaps it's slowly creeping up on me.
(Unsure if true but someone once told me it was only dangerous if you stood infront of the dishes and various apparatus on them).

Not to say I'd recommend climbing them though. I just did whatever I saw back then without thinking of potential risks.
Both in terms of your health and the added legalities around telecom infrastructure.

Please excuse the extremely blurry 7 year old photos. That first one perhaps says it all.
yeah i think that would be right about standing in front of the dishes as thats where all of the signals and radiation is concentrated at
INSTAGRAM:@ue_syd
By
Apparently cell towers only emit rf which is non ionizing. A quick copy and paste

Cell phones communicate with nearby cell towers mainly through RF waves, a form of energy in the electromagnetic spectrum between FM radio waves and microwaves. Like FM radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and heat, they are forms of non-ionizing radiation

There’s a couple around my area which are directional so as long as you stay in the centre apparently it’s fine.
By
I've come across a few over the years.
I work with some Telstra Technicians & they all say no way, but I guess they would.
Another thing to take into consideration is that there's much more chance of ending up in court because of the potential damage you could cause. The Federal Police threatened us with that, but I guess they would.

Anyway, you'll figure it out.

Here's a Water Tower I've been up a few times that has some of the whiz bang stuff you're talking about.
Cheers,
 Post a reply
Go