Login RegisterFAQ
gas in drains
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
hey everyone I was recently doing a drain with a mate and the whole time we could smell some gas that smelt like s*** and my mate got scared so we left earlier than anticipated. how dangerous are gases in drains?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Well they're definitely not good.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
br0ke wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 5:49 pm
hey everyone I was recently doing a drain with a mate and the whole time we could smell some gas that smelt like s*** and my mate got scared so we left earlier than anticipated. how dangerous are gases in drains?
Whereabouts was this? Do you know the colloquial name of the system?
Was it a rotten egg type smell? If so, it may have been H2S.
Don't slip in poo
By
DuckSauce wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 6:44 pm
br0ke wrote:
i was in great stairway and it just smelt like s*** but its not like there was any s*** in there the drain looked pretty clean
By
br0ke wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:59 am
DuckSauce wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 6:44 pm
br0ke wrote:
i was in great stairway and it just smelt like s*** but its not like there was any s*** in there the drain looked pretty clean
I know that in GSC there are some old trampoline/carpet or something in the right split which give off a pretty bad stench. From my experience though GSC is a pretty good drain in terms of being gas free.
Underground, Overground, Wandering Free Instagram YouTube
By
I have a gas detecting device on my backpack, measures Hydrogen Sulphide, Carbon monoxide, Explosive gasses and O2... About the size of my phone but thicker. Cheap insurance, measures constantly. Can get a variety of ones on ebay
By
Unless you're in a very poorly ventilated drain (like Flooded) gas isn't usually a problem unless something has gone wrong.

If you ever do a drain with a lot of silt in the entrance, consider floating in on a dinghy instead of walking in - you can dredge up an enormous amount of H2S walking through it (I know from experience).
Iso of the Cave Clan
 Post a reply
Go