Login RegisterFAQ
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey I'm new to the whole urban thing and have only gone a couple times (twice). I'm Melbourne based and an aspiring photographer. Bit of a thrill seeker and I'm a big fan of roofing and exploring abandoned places, but I'm trying to get into draining.

If anyone has some places where i should start or wants to help get started with the whole urban thing that would be awesome :))
Exploring & Photography
By
Google is a great place to start.

On another note how old are you?
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
I'm 17 and what would be some good terms to search up? Just like "abandoned buildings Melbourne" or something?
Exploring & Photography
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 7:37 pm
I'm 17 and what would be some good terms to search up? Just like "abandoned buildings Melbourne" or something?
Something like that. There's a bunch of well known names when it comes to Melbourne and abandos or drains. Moreso drains. Easy start points for any budding explorer. Try something like Maze Drain (it's around Hawthorn somewhere). Go out, get some shots, come back and post them here and I'm sure a few more names might find themselves your way. Locations are rarely just given in this scene. Takes time and dedication to create a foothold. It's as much about what you know as who you know.
By
Ahhh i guess but thank you for the hints :) and i guess that makes sense I've been going through a bunch of the topics and never realized how devastating releasing locations could be. So really many thanks for the hints. Also can you just post pictures on here or do you have to go through imgur?
Exploring & Photography
By
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 8:26 pm
Ahhh i guess but thank you for the hints :) and i guess that makes sense I've been going through a bunch of the topics and never realized how devastating releasing locations could be. So really many thanks for the hints. Also can you just post pictures on here or do you have to go through imgur?
In terms of drains I've never particularly seen the harm in giving them away however it's more about the principle. This isn't a tourism agency. Finding the locations is all part of the explore.

Imgur is my go to for posting images here.
By
Echo wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 8:41 pm
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 8:26 pm
In terms of drains I've never particularly seen the harm in giving them away however it's more about the principle. This isn't a tourism agency. Finding the locations is all part of the explore.

Imgur is my go to for posting images here.
Yeah fair enough. Then you been doing it for a while? Ever gone roofing?
Exploring & Photography
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
By
Echo wrote:
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 8:44 pm
Yeah fair enough. Then you been doing it for a while? Ever gone roofing?
You're a bit new here :lol:

Have a flick through this:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4158
Holy s*** that's awesome. So you mainly go roofing then? Also any chance you'd be able to take me at some point? What camera do you use and what editing software? Also sorry for the barrage of questions and that is some amazing work and talent seep up the amazing work :):)

Also whats the best places to post imgur links? https://imgur.com/a/8185Fon I've got this photo but nil feel like its been overshadowed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exploring & Photography
By
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 9:03 pm
Holy s*** that's awesome. So you mainly go roofing then? Also any chance you'd be able to take me at some point? What camera do you use and what editing software? Also sorry for the barrage of questions and that is some amazing work and talent seep up the amazing work :):)

Also whats the best places to post imgur links? https://imgur.com/a/8185Fon I've got this photo but nil feel like its been overshadowed :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't mainly do anything these days. The photos are taken by friends. I don't have a camera at the moment. Nor can I say I explore with new people much. I enjoy a quieter more social side of the scene these days.

I have basically that same image on page 5 of the thread you viewed.

By
Echo wrote:
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 9:03 pm

I don't mainly do anything these days. The photos are taken by friends. I don't have a camera at the moment. Nor can I say I explore with new people much. I enjoy a quieter more social side of the scene these days.

I have basically that same image on page 5 of the thread you viewed.

Ahhhh okay that’s fair enough. Also I didn’t realise how extensive that thread was oml. It’s amazing how you’ve documented most of your experiences and thoughts there. Not gonna lie it’s an inspiration to get out there.

Also I’ve got a couple more questions. I know you won’t give locations away and that’s fine but how do you usually find your ways onto roofs or get the opportunity? Is it hard to find the right buildings? Is planning a big part of it or can you mostly do it just on the spot? And can you do it on active buildings?
Exploring & Photography
By
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 10:05 pm
Also I’ve got a couple more questions. I know you won’t give locations away and that’s fine but how do you usually find your ways onto roofs or get the opportunity? Is it hard to find the right buildings? Is planning a big part of it or can you mostly do it just on the spot? And can you do it on active buildings?
Let's just say you get real fit walking up and down a lot of fire stairs only to be unable to open the roof door. Roofs are a thing of opportunity, luck and a small amount of skill. Active buildings? Constructions and roofs aren't classified as the same thing. Any proper roof you're doing is most likely an active building. Pretty much everything in Melbourne has been done at some time or another. There's always a way in if you want it enough however it's preferable you don't use crowbars and things. There's less destructive methods of entering which are usually just as effective. Anyhow due to the legalities roofing poses I'm not going to say what those methods are. All in all I find roofing extremely frustrating for the most part. Usually I only go if someone I know is offering something good that they know is a certainty.
By
Echo wrote:
Winter Sparrow wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 10:05 pm
Let's just say you get real fit walking up and down a lot of fire stairs only to be unable to open the roof door. Roofs are a thing of opportunity, luck and a small amount of skill. Active buildings? Constructions and roofs aren't classified as the same thing. Any proper roof you're doing is most likely an active building. Pretty much everything in Melbourne has been done at some time or another. There's always a way in if you want it enough however it's preferable you don't use crowbars and things. There's less destructive methods of entering which are usually just as effective. Anyhow due to the legalities roofing poses I'm not going to say what those methods are. All in all I find roofing extremely frustrating for the most part. Usually I only go if someone I know is offering something good that they know is a certainty.
Yeah okay that all makes sense. And I'm guessing a lot of the fire stairs are alarmed? Also I know that this all must have seemed incredibly tedious so thank you for replying to all my questions its really helped :)
Exploring & Photography
By
Winter Sparrow wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 4:34 pm
Yeah okay that all makes sense. And I'm guessing a lot of the fire stairs are alarmed? Also I know that this all must have seemed incredibly tedious so thank you for replying to all my questions its really helped :)
I wouldn't say a lot. I've been up a few that have a camera near the top but it's by no means alarmed and is usually bypassable. The only Melbourne roof that I know is alarmed is Eureka, for obvious reasons.
By
Echo wrote:
Winter Sparrow wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 4:34 pm
I wouldn't say a lot. I've been up a few that have a camera near the top but it's by no means alarmed and is usually bypassable. The only Melbourne roof that I know is alarmed is Eureka, for obvious reasons.
Really? That’s pretty cool. Then do you just wear like a face mask for cameras?
Exploring & Photography
 Post a reply
Go