Login RegisterFAQ
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey all,
A little advice please!
When draining, what's your go to footwear?
I have tried thongs, and barefoot, and leather chunky shoes, and none are great.
What's the best, given the water, the slippery, and the possible dangers?
Rubber boots?
Cheers
b
By
I like steelcap workboots, mostly as i can get a new pair whenever I want but also seem to be fairly non slip. it feels nice to crush broken bottles/other sharps with the thick soles while others are dodging them with their wetsuit shoes
By
Yeah, I did wetsuit shoes too - didn't love them :)

Might invest in a pair of workbooks!
By
Some people swear by volleys, noticed a big split in the sole of one half of the pair i bought in feb for normal use today.. barely worn, already crap. Not sure id want a big hole in my shoe in drains. Sad now
By
I usually just wear no shoes but wear bathers because sometimes your pants get wet and if the water is deep enough in some parts, instead of walking through it you can swim, alot faster in my opinion.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Kmart slipons. $5, throw them away after your done. I usually manage to use them a couple of times. Grip is surprisingly good. Probs not the best if you happen to step on anything sharp but I've never encountered issues.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
Thanks for the advice team uega!

I won't be going barefoot again (I'm a pretty big barefoot fan), after cutting my foot in the darkie and panicking about my foot dropping of from manky drain rot for like a week ;P

I'll give the vollys a go in the first instance I think, and if that's not great, might invest in a decent pair of work boots.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Seconding the Kmart cheapies. A $3.50 pair of the lace up canvas things lasts me about six months, they grip well, they don't hold water like my leather/work boots do and they dry quickly.
You can chuck them in the washing machine if they get a bit manky and they take up very little space in a backpack.

Otherwise, vans are my go to. Same as above but a thicker sole so less concern re: Sharp Stuff.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
rEkrul wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 9:40 am
I like steelcap workboots, mostly as i can get a new pair whenever I want but also seem to be fairly non slip. it feels nice to crush broken bottles/other sharps with the thick soles while others are dodging them with their wetsuit shoes
The problem with steel cap workboots is when they get water in them, it's like having fishbowls attached to your feet. Plus, the steel cap tends to rust and they take ages to dry out. I tend to wear them anyway because that's what I'm wearing 99% of the time.
Echo wrote: Kmart slipons. $5, throw them away after your done. I usually manage to use them a couple of times. Grip is surprisingly good. Probs not the best if you happen to step on anything sharp but I've never encountered issues.
Rantallion wrote: Seconding the Kmart cheapies. A $3.50 pair of the lace up canvas things lasts me about six months, they grip well, they don't hold water like my leather/work boots do and they dry quickly.
You can chuck them in the washing machine if they get a bit manky and they take up very little space in a backpack.

Otherwise, vans are my go to. Same as above but a thicker sole so less concern re: Sharp Stuff.
Thirding the Kmart cheapies. Usually had for $4. Get them from Big W if you can (weaken the Kmart monopoly!) Very grippy, good water resistance and if you get them filthy, you can either chuck them in the washing machine or bin them

Would not recommend Volleys, Dr Martens or anything else with a brand name. I bought a pair of Volleys to do a drain once, second hand but in good nick, was astounded by their lack of grip and promptly got rid of them.
Iso of the Cave Clan
By
Also would recommend Blundstone gumboots for walking in drain flows. Sure, they're not very hardcore, but in certain drains you'll generally want to avoid contact with the flow.
Iso of the Cave Clan
 Post a reply
Go