Login RegisterFAQ
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
My old torch died and I need a new one. What are good ones to get? I'm looking for something that is $100 or less, has an adjustable focal length and is somewhat sustainable.
Exploration is an addiction.
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Dingo wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 5:19 pm
has an adjustable focal length
Wow, thanks, I learned something new today. I wasn't aware these existed. I just use a cheap ass Aldi LED Dolphin rip off and a small aa battery waterproof rubber torch that's been with me around the world twice. The second one is crap, still has a globe and isn't very bright, but I like it for sentimental reasons.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
Im using a led lenser L7 as a backup torch its 115 lumens...its waterproof and can take a beating and are around $60 at annaconda this is a great torch that has never let me down

If you dont mind spending a little more the P7 from led lenser is $130 and is 350 lumens

OR....you could go crazy and get the rechargeable Led Lenser P7R at 1000 lumens for $200 its like holding a small sun in the palm of your hands (This is the torch i mainly use) its got a few brightness settings so you are not always at full power (it lasts an hr at full power....40 hrs at the next setting down)

All have focal adjustment...hope this helps
By
I’m in the market for a new torch myself. After a bit of searching im thinking about the led lenser P7. Although now ferret has mentioned the L7 I might look at that until funds are a little healthier

Cheers
By
It really depends what your requirements are if it's just general visibility in drains mate don't spend over $25 at you local hardware store...if it's for Light painting either inside or outside drains than the Led Lenser P7R is perfect.
By
Nitecore has some affordable/good quality torches.

I would recommend a headtorch and also something waterproof (in case you drop it in a drain!)
By
Just buy three or four of these.

Then find a few old laptop battery packs, rip the 18650s out of them, get a Nitecore charger and away you go.

That's the most cost effective solution I've found. The torches are rather good.
Iso of the Cave Clan
By
iso wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 8:54 am

Then find a few old laptop battery packs, rip the 18650s out of them, get a Nitecore charger and away you go.

That's the most cost effective solution I've found. The torches are rather good.
I actually ordered one of these last week, only paid $6 aud haha thought at that price was worth the risk! I will most likely buy a led lenser as well but thought id give this a go for the price. You think there ok?
By
jaym wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:42 am
iso wrote:

I actually ordered one of these last week, only paid $6 aud haha thought at that price was worth the risk! I will most likely buy a led lenser as well but thought id give this a go for the price. You think there ok?
They're great. For the price, you can't complain. No issues with reliability really, I've dropped them into drain streams and they've continued working after a clean out.
Iso of the Cave Clan
By
iso wrote:

I also have one of these and a similar headtorch from anaconda that they dont seem to stock anymore. If a torch can survive at my house in the hands of four boys who throw things at each other and pull things apart you know its a good torch! I have mainly bern using them at the beach while having a swing with my metal detector. The end up in rockpools with my youngest and still work.
By
I have a couple of el cheapo Varta LED torches from bunnings. Can't focus the beam, but the fuckers are indestructible. Rubberised so you can drop them, and they're not sold as waterproof, but I dropped mine into the river while I was crabbing and it still works. They're about $20 each from memory.
Gettin Chuffed 24/7
By
The Convoy L6 is the highest build quality, and brightest torch you can get for under $100 they are about 3500 lumens and can get close to 5000 with some modifications

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONVOY-CLEAR-L ... 2749.l2649)

they come in Silver like the one linked or they also come in black.

Or If you are technically inclined you can just buy a cheap 3 D mag lite or something similar, i bought this from supercheap auto (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... om=1021371)

Combined it with this from eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cree-XHP70-Led ... 2749.l2649)

Some PVC pipe to adapt to the thinner Li-Ion batters (22650) and you can get somewhere around a 2500lumen torch for well under $50
Last edited by Thyer on 07 Apr 2018, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Sorry just re-read the adjustable focal length part.

This is defiantly what you want; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniquefire-UF- ... 0507.m3226

Thing has awesome flood (for drains) and when adjusted forward it is almost like a laser beam tightest beam I've ever seen on a stock light.

Everything i have suggested requires either 18650 or 26650 Li-Ion batterys which require a charger which all adds to the cost. But if you want a really serious light Li-Ion is the only real way.

I know of once decent light from Bunnings that is the Energizer 1300 and that takes 6 AA batteries and packs a 1300 Lumen punch and the ability to focus the beam electronically via holding the switch down for 3 seconds (Very cool in my opinion) Just for the money you could get more online.

Sorry for the huge wall of text... Lights get me a tad excited.
By
I got an Aldi 350 lumen cheapo $15 i paid for it but i am waiting on my 10k and 15k lumen torches to arrive all are ajustable lens but for area i use a 164 led light or my scuba diveing light.
By
10,000 lumens...wow lol are you trying to see through walls?

i thought my 1k torch was bright
 Post a reply
Go