Login RegisterFAQ
People Tips
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
So guys, any tips for shooting people?

I've been tasked with taking photos of a christening in a couple of weeks.
Only ever really properly photographed inanimate objects...
I have a flash... and prepared myself with a softbox I can mount to it if I need to go that far as I don't think I'll be able to do much light bouncing trickery.

What am I not thinking of?
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Crispex wrote:So guys, any tips for shooting people?
A silencer and clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
UEGA: Come for the lolz, stay for the trollz!
By
I've a lot of names on my list of people to shoot, but one thing I've learnt is to ensure they're not moving after the shot has been triggered.
By
Mambo wrote:
Crispex wrote:So guys, any tips for shooting people?
A silencer and clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
I don't plan on getting that close.
By
Bloods a b***h to get out of clothing when dry!!!

UH
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Unclehaggz wrote:Bloods a b***h to get out of clothing when dry!!!

UH
Always soak in cold water, and blood stains come out easily-if you wash in hot water it sets the iron that is in blood cells.. Helpful hint ;)
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Kto wrote:I've a lot of names on my list of people to shoot, but one thing I've learnt is to ensure they're not moving after the shot has been triggered.
Nah you just gotta lead 'em a little ;)
By
Get in front and go anywhere for the best shots, f*** if people behind you can't see or are obstructed for a few seconds.

External flash or just the flash on your camera? Can you twist it and bounce it off walls/roof?

What lens are you using?

Fast shutter speeds are critical, low apeture to freeze the action.
By
longnecksmasher wrote: External flash or just the flash on your camera? Can you twist it and bounce it off walls/roof?
I've got an external flash, and on-camera flash.
It does all the normal external flash things but as I'll mostly be in the middle of a church, the walls and ceilings are quite a distance away.
longnecksmasher wrote:What lens are you using?
I'll prob have my 18-200 f3.5-6.3 Tamron on most of the time during, and use my 35mm f1.8 before/after
By
Radio and light stand setup for some good off-camera flash? That would help heaps with the lighting. However, you said it's a church and a christening? They may not take kindly to flashes going off randomly. Maybe just take some fast glass and spend a little more time in post.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Crispex wrote:
longnecksmasher wrote: External flash or just the flash on your camera? Can you twist it and bounce it off walls/roof?
I've got an external flash, and on-camera flash.
It does all the normal external flash things but as I'll mostly be in the middle of a church, the walls and ceilings are quite a distance away.
longnecksmasher wrote:What lens are you using?
I'll prob have my 18-200 f3.5-6.3 Tamron on most of the time during, and use my 35mm f1.8 before/after
Unless the church is stupidly dark, you should be fine with those sort of apertures to shoot without a flash possibly. If it is dark, I'd throw the 35mm on and shoot on F/1.8-2.8 and get up close.
By
longnecksmasher wrote:Unless the church is stupidly dark, you should be fine with those sort of apertures to shoot without a flash possibly. If it is dark, I'd throw the 35mm on and shoot on F/1.8-2.8 and get up close.
You were right - didn't even pull the flash out of my car.
Shot on the 18-200 Tamron inside the church, and used the 35mm for family group shots after.
Now I have 850 pics to sort and edit :shock:

Here's me wishing I had taken down the Fear and Loathing poster from the wall behind everyone, I'll be a Clone Tool pro in no time.
By
Always carry most updated and advanced version of any camera model.
It is the good way to away from most of the difficulties that we feel that time.
 Post a reply
Go