Login RegisterFAQ
The 2 way Radio Thread.... - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Guys, radios can and will save your lives while exploring, don't underestimate their usefulness.

I normally use a set with a friend when parking my van near an urbex location so I don't get it bogged (again) :geek:
By
Re taking them exploring;
I take my icom which has 80 CB + all local police + ses + local fire for transmitting on listening to
my vertex VHF marine radio

Definitely overkill, but if it saves my life one day, then I'm all for it
By
Nick wrote:
Spades wrote:wait, ppl still use radios..
I've got a s*** ton of gear, most of it Motorola professional stuff, bits of P25 gear
Are you loaded? ;)

My employer just bought several hundred APX6000's at about $5k a pop with accessories
By
Moose wrote:
Nick wrote:
I've got a s*** ton of gear, most of it Motorola professional stuff, bits of P25 gear
Are you loaded? ;)

My employer just bought several hundred APX6000's at about $5k a pop with accessories
Ouch, mine are mostly handhelds, probably about 20 Motarola handhelds and 3-5 P25 XTS handhelds, though they don't see much use,

They're all (Excluding the Baofengs) second hand, and purchased in bulk lots from people who don't know how to program them & therefore consider them useless when their license runs out.
By
I'm not really a fan of taking radio's exploring, i'm mostly active with infiltration and topside stuff, and, by Murphy's law - it would be just my luck that the one time that thing would actually make noise is while i'm trying to hide from coppers or something... :mrgreen:

I must admit though, I always like to have a UHF with a good antenna and a linear on long and remote drives and 4wd'ing, if I do get into the s*** out there I want to be sure that someone can hopefully hear me on one of the channels. X2 on the great for convoys bit also!

In the rural areas someone asking for genuine help would be taken far more seriously than someone in say Melb or Syd area due to the amount of radio idiots in some major capital cities...

Hadn't actually thought about listening in to security companies and so on, makes good sense though, can hear stuff like that on the home radio's but those little dual band handhelds like the Baofengs are pretty good these days for the few bucks they cost... :idea:
The explorer in the west................
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
By
Nick wrote:

but, internet
Ain't no 3G in mines. Or up towers. Or offshore. Or in the bush. Plus, if everyone splits off front he group, you'd have to call each person individually etc, and it turns a multi-car road trip into a CONVOY.

We'll all be laughing and speaking in Half Duplex when the apocalypse comes!

We have actually been quite surprised how far offshore we can get internet...
Been out fishing with others around FADs multiple times and managed to dig up enough signal for one of the guys to place bets on TAB, and for me to retrieve waypoints from various websites..

But it does make a difference where you are - out from gong seems pretty good, but out from port hacking and northwards sucked..
(FAD distance from shore varies too)..
By
This is my latest experimental construction.

It's a UHF CB repeater, currently on test before proper assembly ready for sale or site.

These MX800 radio's are almost bullet proof and made in Australia for Aussie conditions. Programming and set up is easy, in my opinion these are the ultimate unit for a CB or Amateur repeater. Thought I'd just show ya's anyways and try keep the thread alive...
By
I wish somebody would set up something like this in Brisbane with ctcss enabled!
We only have one decent repeater on ch7 and its a total s*** show. Mean lookin rig man 8-)
By
@Bangers - Be keeping the EIRP of that CB repeater at under the legislated 5w? :D

I've been meaning to build a battery powered full duplex repeater for ages, did you make your own duplexer?
By
Dynamite wrote:I wish somebody would set up something like this in Brisbane with ctcss enabled!
We only have one decent repeater on ch7 and its a total s*** show. Mean lookin rig man 8-)
I used to turn 7 on to keep me entertained on the way home but then I grew up a bit. Not safe for driving with the family
By
Nick wrote:@Bangers - Be keeping the EIRP of that CB repeater at under the legislated 5w? :D
She's pretty close! 5.54... I hope it wouldn't be confiscated over half a watt if I ever actually used it:lol:
Nick wrote:I've been meaning to build a battery powered full duplex repeater for ages, did you make your own duplexer?
There's no diplexer in this one, CB ones are expensive so I'd just run 2 antennas instead... It's pretty easy to get kits to make duplex repeaters these days with kits off ebay for most handhelds and some mobile radios. Simplex repeaters are good fun too! Good value... :mrgreen:
By
I've had a look on Aliexpress and they'll make a tuned 50w duplex cavity for ~$150, but I'd have to pick a channel and stick to it.
Seems a huge setup for 5w transmit, why so large, couldn't you just use 2 UV5Rs tied together?
By
The problem with diplexers for CB is the .75MHZ channel split, they need to be very priscise, a proper used one is cheap for a grand..
Those UV5R's are wicked value and so easy to use! Mine was $36 delivered and still has good battery life after 2 years, would recommend them to everyone... Handhelds are fine for light duty repeaters, eBay has the linking/controller cables etc.

What's in the pics is big because the whole system is recycled commercial gear, it's running at 10% capacity so can be flogged all day by the local dickhead population and barely get hot. I'm not into CB really these days, it was just fun to put together and would be funny to see how it goes one day...
Last edited by Bangers on 01 Oct 2016, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
New batteries and DC cables sorted out, with allowance for future Solar and more radio's.
This has come up nicely for something that started as a bit of a joke but my enthusiasm has grown for it. :geek: :mrgreen:

Murphy's law kicked in hard last night when I found some old channel 3 crystals I had to go into old Berowra Heights VMB7 channel 7 repeater that I got off eBay for ten bucks, the old girl lives again! First time it's run in many years and it's a fraction of the size And does the same thing... Dang....
By
5 watts pff, turn it to max power!

Heres my dodgy repeater, Fully licensed and legit and narrow band compliant and so forth.. *cough cough max cough*
Total off grid, solar powered, 100amp deep cycle battery, low duty cycle 25w repeater.

Post a reply
Go