Login RegisterFAQ
Climbing Radio Towers - Page 3
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
"Fun" and "wobbly"...
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Any advice on climbing telecom towers? There's a fairly large one on top of a Telstra exchange close to me.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Echo wrote:Any advice on climbing telecom towers? There's a fairly large one on top of a Telstra exchange close to me.
Be sure to investigate sperm banks (and make a deposit) prior to climbing active radio towers.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Well I have a certain reputation to upkeep so ayyy I did it :lol:
By
Yes! Really liking that. I know it well.... It's not about reputation though man remember it's more just about the sport. You did well...!
The explorer in the west................
By
Bangers wrote:Yes! Really liking that. I know it well.... It's not about reputation though man remember it's more just about the sport. You did well...!
He means his reputation of doing reckless or ill advised things :P
IG: zero.given
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Aydun wrote:
Echo wrote:Any advice on climbing telecom towers? There's a fairly large one on top of a Telstra exchange close to me.
Be sure to investigate sperm banks (and make a deposit) prior to climbing active radio towers.
the world could probably do without little Echos, maybe climb a few more towers young fella - at least you won't need to buy frangers :D
By
Vicinity wrote:
Bangers wrote:Yes! Really liking that. I know it well.... It's not about reputation though man remember it's more just about the sport. You did well...!
He means his reputation of doing reckless or ill advised things :P
lol I just see it as a joke these days. Just gonna do my own thing no fucks given until it kills me :) Or that's the game plan anyway.
By
No+Pro wrote:
Aydun wrote:
the world could probably do without little Echos, maybe climb a few more towers young fella - at least you won't need to buy frangers :D
Just for you bro, until death do us part :D
By
Echo wrote: lol I just see it as a joke these days. Just gonna do my own thing no fucks given until it kills me :) Or that's the game plan anyway.
Yeah, maybe don't go exposing yourself to microwave radiation...
urbex.com.au
By
timdole wrote:
Echo wrote: lol I just see it as a joke these days. Just gonna do my own thing no fucks given until it kills me :) Or that's the game plan anyway.
Everyone dies. Some of us just dont care anymore.
By
Echo wrote: Everyone dies. Some of us just dont care anymore.
By
Echo wrote:
timdole wrote:
Everyone dies. Some of us just dont care anymore.
By
By
Not sure if anyone is paying this thread any attention anymore, but if I have understood correctly you guys have stated that climbing up the middle of a tv tower isn't likely to expose you to dangerous levels of non-ionizing radiation as transmitters will be on the outside of the tower facing outwards?

Thanks!
By
SlowLoris wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 11:10 pm
Not sure if anyone is paying this thread any attention anymore, but if I have understood correctly you guys have stated that climbing up the middle of a tv tower isn't likely to expose you to dangerous levels of non-ionizing radiation as transmitters will be on the outside of the tower facing outwards?

Thanks!
I would strongly suggest that taking on a tv tower is a bad idea, even though they are massive and look like fun, most are combined broadcast sites and have multiple high powered antennas at different levels... You will enter extremely high radiation areas, some things are best left alone...

PS- welcome to the forums....
By
Bangers wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 5:48 pm
SlowLoris wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 11:10 pm

Thanks!
I would strongly suggest that taking on a tv tower is a bad idea, even though they are massive and look like fun, most are combined broadcast sites and have multiple high powered antennas at different levels... You will enter extremely high radiation areas, some things are best left alone...

PS- welcome to the forums....
Yeah, I guess that's probably for the best, I definitely don't wanna get cooked!

Thanks mate!
By
Oh yeah and by the way the links to the images on your (probably very useful) first post from five years ago are dead, not sure if you know that.
By
Oh i am so f*****g keen to climb some towers. Do air heads ascend quicker?
The Mount Dandenong TV towers have always been my holy grain unfortunately they're off limits
By
Hi, I'm new to the forums and urban exploration. I have a question about a tower near me.

Is this safe to climb or worth it as it has relatively easy access. Sorry about the quality of the image, it was taken from google maps.

Thanks.
By
John wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 4:56 pm
Hi, I'm new to the forums and urban exploration. I have a question about a tower near me.

Is this safe to climb or worth it as it has relatively easy access. Sorry about the quality of the image, it was taken from google maps.

Thanks.
Those round ones that look like drums? They're microwave dishes,
The same type of waves used you'd use to heat the outside of a frozen meal to the same temperature as the sun while the inside remains frozen.
They're a lot more powerful than the microwave at home.
I'd suggest avoiding climbing stuff like this 'till you you yourself can asses the risks.
By
I'd climb that, what Nick says is true, but those dishes are super directional and only have about a 5 degree beam width, most of the stuff on there is pretty safe as long as you're not in front of it on the outside... Don't forget your camera if you give it a go, and don't go too hard or you will probably cramp up. Climb more with your legs than pulling yourself up with your arms...
By
Never climbed a radio tower before. radiation is my only concern. is this one safe in terms of radiation if I'm careful?

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.808044 ... 312!8i6656

the antennas going up the tower on the side: (the ones that look like horizontal lines coming off the tower) i think they are FM antennas. I'm not sure which directions they transmit, or what kind of damage they can do. is it fairly safe, with the risk of light of burns, or are we looking at the risk of infertility?

unless someone else knows otherwise, I don't think I need to be worried about the white square looking things on the very top (not sure what they're called), since I will only be underneath them.

any other radiation concerns I should be having? I'm only worried about subsequent effects from the radiation (like infertility). I can deal with any kind of heating, sunburnt, itchy, numbness feelings as long as there are no long term effects.

thanks
By
Camoo wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 2:34 pm
Never climbed a radio tower before. radiation is my only concern. is this one safe in terms of radiation if I'm careful?

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.808044 ... 312!8i6656

the antennas going up the tower on the side: (the ones that look like horizontal lines coming off the tower) i think they are FM antennas. I'm not sure which directions they transmit, or what kind of damage they can do. is it fairly safe, with the risk of light of burns, or are we looking at the risk of infertility?

unless someone else knows otherwise, I don't think I need to be worried about the white square looking things on the very top (not sure what they're called), since I will only be underneath them.

any other radiation concerns I should be having? I'm only worried about subsequent effects from the radiation (like infertility). I can deal with any kind of heating, sunburnt, itchy, numbness feelings as long as there are no long term effects.

thanks
A lot of antennas on the side there as you pointed out but it's not extremely dangerous. Those antennas aren't directional so they transmit RF all around. If you pass them quickly it won't be a problem. What we're talking here are a few minutes of strong exposure which honestly won't do much. It might make you feel a little weird but no real long term consequences, those only come after hours, days or even weeks of exposure. If you really want to take safety procautions then might I recommend an RF monitor. It will tell you when you are being exposed to high doses of RFs. Also there is a way to kind of avoid a big chunk of the transmitted radio frequensies. You can wear special clothing (Nomex clothing, Stainless steel clothing) What this can do is act as a sort of Faraday cage. If you don't want to buy this type of clothing then simply wrapping yourself up in aluminum foil could shield you against a lot of the RF. Hope this helped.
 Post a reply
Go