Login RegisterFAQ
Climbing Radio Towers - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Bangers wrote:Check out this guy, 540m tower - No safety!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkB9QTK ... re=related

Madness!
I've seen that before. Fark, those peg like handholds or... ladders if you can even call them that, at the top. I'd shake so much I'd just fall off the top.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
I can't offer much advice re climbing towers but I can provide photos of them :)

1-3 are the main broadcast tower for TV and radio for Sunshine Coast Located at Bald Knob, QLD (not far from the Landsborough Tunnel mentioned in other posts on this site)

4-5 are a small site used by Vertical Comms at Mt Cotton (Brisbane)
By
5. Evil robot radio tower.
By
Great pic's Moose, 3 is my pick of the bunch...

Tower shots are great - Keep up the good work!

Cheers
The explorer in the west................
By
The vertical rectangles commonly seen on high buildings, are they microwave transmitters?
By
Midget wrote:The vertical rectangles commonly seen on high buildings, are they microwave transmitters?
I think you're talking about mobile phone antennas, they're everywhere.... They do operate in the microwave frequency range yes. I'v been round these with a radiation monitor before, above, below, beside and behind these antennas is fine, the surface facing away from the building or tower is the only major radiation area...
By
Thanks for the info. I'm considering climbing a radio tower near me, but I'll take and upload some photos from the base for the experts here to rate its safety. :lol:
By
Won't the radiation fry your balls?
Stupidity helps you make the first step and sense gets you out alive.
By
Baked, not fried.
By
Thanks again for the info! Climbed it with Bigjobs, Fishbrain and Asoom. We made it to around 190 metres, then decided to proceed no further! We didn't fancy the climb through the centre of the main broadcast transmitters at full power, to then sit up top directly below the main transmitter.. Got a couple of (poor) pictures, it was insanely hard to get anything due to the sway of the tower :D

No balls were fried during the climbing of this transmitter.

Millhouse
By
Millhouse, I must say, that's a spectacular effort!!! Well done mate, you guys have some serious balls.

Thanks for coming back to us with some pics, the buildings at the base are pretty well lit, i'm surprised, many sites over here aren't lit like that.

Lol at the sway on the tower, it appears to be thinner in these pics than what i thought it might have been.

Think I might recognise some of your mates names from 28DL? i'v certainly heard of Fishbrain before somewhere...

Keep up the good work anyways!

Big cheers to you lads from Australia!
By
Yeah we're on 28dl, other than Asoom - she's not on the forums!

The buildings seem to have someone in at night, or at least there's a car in the compound. If someone's present they must be asleep haha.

Thanks mate!
By
Fuuaarrrrrr... nice photos. I want to climb some now.
By
So much information to take in, I guess I just take a look. Directional = somewhat safe to climb, omni-directional = death.
By
Midget wrote:So much information to take in, I guess I just take a look. Directional = somewhat safe to climb, omni-directional = death.
Don't stress too much about it dude...

I wouldn't encourage you to take on the big one near Liverpool, or the tv towers at Artarmon, there's a few AM towers round the Clyde / olympic park area that aren't really beginners stuff.

Pick a phone or comms tower soewhere and just go for it, they won't hurt you unless you fall. :D
By
Bangers wrote:
Midget wrote:So much information to take in, I guess I just take a look. Directional = somewhat safe to climb, omni-directional = death.

I wouldn't encourage you to take on the big one near Liverpool, or the tv towers at Artarmon, there's a few AM towers round the Clyde / olympic park area that aren't really beginners stuff.

Pick a phone or comms tower soewhere and just go for it, they won't hurt you unless you fall. :D
The one I was going to climb is near... that bi-centennial park north-east of Olympic park. West of the Rhodes - Meadowbank bridge. I say "was", because I noticed insulators in the support wires (or whatever they're called). I recall you saying not to touch those, and didn't get close enough to take worthy photos. Is there a type of tower that has those, yet is safe?

Without your information, I would have done it while assuming those insulators where just something to do with lightning or something. Probably saved my life. :D
By
Midget wrote:
Bangers wrote:

The one I was going to climb is near... that bi-centennial park north-east of Olympic park. West of the Rhodes - Meadowbank bridge. I say "was", because I noticed insulators in the support wires (or whatever they're called). I recall you saying not to touch those, and didn't get close enough to take worthy photos. Is there a type of tower that has those, yet is safe?

Without your information, I would have done it while assuming those insulators where just something to do with lightning or something. Probably saved my life. :D
Haha, saved you getting zapped on the fingers maybe, there's a few kilowatts feeding that thing and the whole tower is energised, I know the one you're referring to. i can't say what would happen if you were to jump onto the tower without touching it and the ground at the same time? I understand that the guys that work on those things use wooden ladders or similar for access....

Not sure how recent the image is on Google maps, but there's an interesting looking site with a big ring thing and a few small buildings across the road to the west of the tower - might be worth a look....
By
There's a lot of heavy industrial sites, and many residential apartments being built in that area. Google Maps is a bit old in some parts of that area. I might poke around there sometime though.

I know that along the river to the west, there's some kind of quarry(?) and lots of shipping containers. It'll make for an interesting infiltration... by river! Muhahaha. K-mart boat, here I come.
By
Anyone been climbing lately?
By
Hi guys,

Im new here so let me begin with saying hello! So, Hello! Hope you are all well.

Fascinating discussion on here about one of my passions, Tower Climbing! I am from Orange NSW and have climbed one of the TV towers at Mount Canobolas(roughly 170m tall) and also the 2DU AM Radio Tower(106m tall) outside of Dubbo. I have also tried my hand at the broadband towers as well but these just aren't high enough!

Just thought I would share a few of my experiences and if anyone is interested, go check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/devourhorizons1168

Thanks guys. :)
-UrbexKitty
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Devour wrote:Hi guys,

Im new here so let me begin with saying hello! So, Hello! Hope you are all well.

Fascinating discussion on here about one of my passions, Tower Climbing! I am from Orange NSW and have climbed one of the TV towers at Mount Canobolas(roughly 170m tall) and also the 2DU AM Radio Tower(106m tall) outside of Dubbo. I have also tried my hand at the broadband towers as well but these just aren't high enough!

Just thought I would share a few of my experiences and if anyone is interested, go check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/devourhorizons1168

Thanks guys. :)
Welcome,
I too like tall things, did this one the other day while out on a hike.

You can find exactly how tall each of the towers you have climbed is on the ACMA or RFNSA website. Transmission towers can be fun too, but a bit more risky. Same with Cranes.

Perhaps this one is tall enough for you? (427m)
By
Hi Nick!

Thanks very much for your reply and link to Radio Trans sites. Very Helpful! As for the Omega Tower, Alas, I believe it was dismantled in April of this year after a base jumper died in 2014. (please confirm if this is indeed true as myself and my crew were hoping to clim it in December).

I will attempt to upload pictures from some of our climbs but for the time being, just check us out on Facebook. (JCL Crew)

Thank mate,

-Jumpz
-UrbexKitty
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
Devour wrote:Hi Nick!

Thanks very much for your reply and link to Radio Trans sites. Very Helpful! As for the Omega Tower, Alas, I believe it was dismantled in April of this year after a base jumper died in 2014. (please confirm if this is indeed true as myself and my crew were hoping to clim it in December).

I will attempt to upload pictures from some of our climbs but for the time being, just check us out on Facebook. (JCL Crew)

Thank mate,

-Jumpz
Hey mate,
It was blown up by explosives one glorious morning a few months back, watching the screaming metal come down is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
I know you've probably been lectured already, but learn a bit about towers, EMF meters aren't just for ghost hunters.
There are lots of glorious towers to climb across this country, if you ever do the trip across the Nullabor you'll find all the old Microwave towers that once linked the country before fiber.

Have a read of this if you're interested in those towers,
Nullarbor Telecommunication Towers

Be safe, no one really cares how many FB likes dead people get, your parents and family will. I've climbed a lot of stuff, but for the bit of extra time it takes to clip in, vs the time you'll be dead for, it's worth it. (Heck, when you learn a bit about the safety side of things and how to rig stuff, you can set up giant rope swings, and other fun stuff.)
And not just your safety, but for the guys you explore with, how would you feel if one of your crew fell? You'd never forgive yourself.
My best mate fell while climbing. We didn't know if he'd ever be able to move again, for him, that's worse than death. He was medevaced out by a helicopter, flown to a major hospital and as it stands he was insanely lucky. After months of hardly being able to move and rehab he's back out exploring, but that sinking feeling of not knowing if your friend would ever be able to move? It's not great.
By
Hi Nick.

Let me begin with my apologies for the super late reply, I have been super busy and just lost track of my account here. Thano you for your concern, yes we are fully aware of the dangers involved with Tower Climbing and the potential for falling. Even though we do not use ropes or harnesses, I research every tower before we climb it and assess the risks (more than just the obvious ones..). As I am the one who started our little group, I take it upon myself to do all the research, educating and the like. I'm also the one who always climbs first before giving the all clear to the others. If anyone of the guys do not feel comfortable in completing a climb, then we do not push them to do it. Let's face it, it is extremely dangerous and let's try and minimise the risks where possible.

Thanks again mate and I look forward to more of your photos and more of a conversation in the near future.

-Jumpz
-UrbexKitty
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
One from my most recent climb, only about 50m. This one was a good fun wobbly one too!
 Post a reply
Go