Login RegisterFAQ
Where's the secrecy gone?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Not having a crack at the admins of UEGA but when I first started exploring and joined this site no one was open to sharing locations and locations and spot details about security etc were not open information and this kept locations quiet and low key, made people get off there asses to find there own locations. However now only rarely exploring and visiting the page only once in a while I am noticing people dropping locations and details like they're nothing. I have also noticed once locations are named on here they are getting ruined at an alarming speed spots used to take a fair amount of time to get ruined and now they're gone within a week getting locked or guarded. Anyhow wondering why this has started happening and why so many young kids seem to be in on it
By
What in particular are you referring to? I haven't noticed people blatantly dropping locations, unless of course they are demolished or trashed out of their mind. In reference to detail dropping, I think everyone has a right to know what they're in for if they so choose. It allows one to take extra precautions where necessary, or perhaps persuades some to not visit due to high risk. This reduces the likelihood of someone getting arrested or busted by security, hence prolonging the life and accessibility of the site in question.
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
6 Reply with quote Permalink
Examples?
By
I haven't seen s***.
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
I think you may be confusing UEGA with Instagram. You've got the fourteen to seventeen year old rich kid rail bandits dropping locations like they're hot.
By
Instagram is arguably the best source of intel compared to anywhere else.

This is helped by the fact those "kids" just accept every follow request that comes in the hope they get more likes.

I guess we will get a flood of instausers now.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
I see so many people sharing locations for a bit of street rep with no regard to the conservation and continued access to the site. In fact, somewhere on facebook is a page/group where people share photos of abandoned sites. It's completely fine until you notice 9/10 posts also contain the exact location. :(
Decimalz wrote:You've got the fourteen to seventeen year old rich kid rail bandits dropping locations like they're hot.
Drop it like it's hot.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
When we have clowns like the ones in THIS vid below (GK and 24/7), it's hard to enforce discretion on the rest of us who play by the rules.

But at the end of the day were all here to share urbex related info, and most of the stuff openly discussed is already well known.
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
theedge wrote:Instagram is arguably the best source of intel compared to anywhere else.
I guess it's subjective depending on what your exploring fetish is. For abandonments - Yes. For drains - Probably not.

I use instagram for the same reason I use UEGA, to look at pictures of drains/sewers from around the world and at home, and for that, it is a great resource. I think it would be near on impossible to look at a drain photo and be able to know where it is and how to access it, unless:
a) the photo is a shot of the outfall
b) the viewer has visited the drain pictured or
c) the poster includes identifiable location information such as the suburb or nearby street names
Midget wrote:In fact, somewhere on facebook is a page/group where people share photos of abandoned sites.
Every city has one of these Facebook "urbex" pages these days. Exact street address to locations (often with a gmaps link to accompany it) are posted in nearly every comment thread I've seen on these pages. I believe this has had a far more profound effect on getting topside locations secured than any post has on UEGA.
Showing your age there Midget! That song must be over 10 years old now. Some of those 'rich kid rail bandits' probably weren't even born yet.
By
Decimalz wrote:Showing your age there Midget! That song must be over 10 years old now. Some of those 'rich kid rail bandits' probably weren't even born yet.
It's still played in clubs though. :P
By
Midget wrote:It's still played in clubs though. :P
Yeah, maybe on Oxford St. :)
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
blakjak wrote:
Midget wrote:It's still played in clubs though. :P
Yeah, maybe on Oxford St. :)
By
Aha was referring to the whole urbex thing going on in Sydney now can hardly call it exploring anymore Instagram has made a mockery out of it.. However have seen a couple posts on here referring to highly illegal rail tunnels etc and naming entrances gives us a real bad look but that's my side of it obviously some people find sharing details make spots safer and what not
By
Didn't see anything mentioned here about how to get in. As far as I know it's not possible. So it must be instagram and as I said before it outruns uega in dropping location details by a hundred miles.

And I must confess that I lurk on instagram just as much as the instagram kids would lurk on here and ask questions.

BTW: @theedge is not my instagram account as I follow many more accounts than that one.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
It's not about secrecy its about looking cool to all your mates....

But seriously, just handing out location info like free candy really takes the ex out of urbex... It makes it much more like abando tourism.

I think part of the problem stems from the instant gratification generation... No one wants to spend the time or effort researching potential locations, the history behind them or any of the other more indepth aspects that first attracted me to exploring, urban or otherwise.

Explore, the chase is often worth just as much as the prize!
By
daeman wrote:

Explore, the chase is often worth just as much as the prize!
Thats the part i find the most exciting. The thrill of the hunt!

The research teaches you the history or purpose of the locations and helps you understand and appreciate its significance, which fuels an exciting search. The find is always more satisfying when you have put in the effort to uncover it. :D
Just as evolution intended, I was designed by DFEX..

IG: @social_dfex
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfexone/
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Abando tourism, that's actually a very apt term for most explorers these days, myself included. :/ Only really "found" two locations recently. #adultlife
 Post a reply
Go