Login RegisterFAQ
Shoutbox Forum Suggestion
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Dunno where to put this so I'm putting it here cos I can. I used to frequent another forum a lot which had a 'shoutbox' on it. Its like a live box where users can talk to eachother. Here's a bad screenshot of it.
As you can see its a box which sits above the main section of the forum and users who are logged in can hold little conversations in live time. Its pretty cool I reckon.
Dunno how hard it'd be to implement but it'd be pretty cool.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
I won't leave my thoughts on this as I know there are a lot of intricacies (forum size, deferring away from posting actual content, etc.), but I will say that it is extremely easy to implement as my contribution to this thread. :3
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
phytrix wrote:I won't leave my thoughts on this as I know there are a lot of intricacies (forum size, deferring away from posting actual content, etc.), but I will say that it is extremely easy to implement as my contribution to this thread. :3
I feel as if it'd encourage more interaction. People will still post their serious topics wherever. The shoutbox is just for laid back, light conversational fun.
By
Shoutboxes are bad and you should feel bad.
By
Echo wrote:
phytrix wrote:I won't leave my thoughts on this as I know there are a lot of intricacies (forum size, deferring away from posting actual content, etc.), but I will say that it is extremely easy to implement as my contribution to this thread. :3
I feel as if it'd encourage more interaction. People will still post their serious topics wherever. The shoutbox is just for laid back, light conversational fun.
There's a lot more to it then that, they were just some examples. More would include increased server load, (if it's not active enough,) an inactive shoutboxes looks sloppy and deters users, difficult to moderate. I've seen some past studies (I can't cite) that suggested that small forums do lose forum activity, so I'm not really sure what criteria to contribute to that, but it might. And still, the smaller discussions are always good to increase forum activity. Anyway yeah, I haven't touched forum schematics in years, so I'll walk away *moonwalks out*
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
Crispex wrote:Shoutboxes are bad and you should feel bad.
So harsh :? That one got me right in the feels Crispex.
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
cbf
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
aydun wrote:cbf
He means, "We at UEGA have decided not to implement such a live chat due to increased server costs, code complications and also lack of time for other forum features while we introduce cat emoticons."
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Moderation overhead alone isn't worth it, just asking for bots.

Post a reply
Go