Login RegisterFAQ
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Does anyone have any tips for opening manholes from below? I never seem to be able to pop any open. :|

Also, what's the temperature usually like underground on those scorcher 35 degree days? I imagine it'd be a lot better than roasting at home.
By
G'day mate,
Manhole covers are a bit of a gamble really. Some permanently sealed, others so full of debris they won't budge. Others are a total pushover. Although you probably know this already, never lift a manhole cover if you don't know its location unless it's an emergency. Getting your head knocked off by a truck isn't worth it.
Best way to get them up in my experience is to give it a sharp smack with the palm of your hand on one corner. Then do the same on the opposite side, work your way around.
You'll know soon enough if it's going to lift. Just keep your head down, and avert your eyes from the stream of debris that is most certainly going to pile up in your eye sockets :D
Just don't get too carried away fiddling with the damn thing that you lose concentration on your surroundings - some of the shafts leading to covers can be a very long way up, and if you slip off the stepirons and fall, Y'all going to have a very bad time :shock:
As for the temperature, it varies also. I've been draining in winter and sweated buckets. Other drains I've done in the middle of summer have been nice and cool. Depends on the construction of the drain and the airflow through it - It's the humidity more than anything.
Hope that's helpful man, Safe exploring!
By
Thanks Dynamite! Great advice. Is there any way to tell by the manhole cover whether it leads to the storm water system, as opposed to something else?

Sorry for all the questions :P
By
No worries man!
Usually the covers are labelled with either 'Stormwater' Or 'Sewer' - Although it varies depending on when the cover was manufactured and who made it. Here in Brisbane at least, they might say simply 'Bcc Sewer'
or other times 'San-Sew' (I think I spelt that wrong lol)
The big square covers you see sometimes, are usually always sewer also, at least in Bris. May vary from state to state, sure there's plenty of people on here down your way that can clarify what you're looking at though.
By
Legend, mate. Cheers :D
By
i always sweat bullets in anything under 5ft diameter a combination of humidity and high temperatures in tight spaces just kills me.

my LAW for manholes is, never mess around with one from below unless you've lifted it from above.

a mate would have lost fingers if he didn't hesitate while climbing a ladder as a truck passed over the great seconds before he stuck his fingers through.

also remember what you lift your gonna have to put back so don't do more then your able or you might never get it closed/back
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
i get around like sushi on a kaiten
By
Also, remember that square or triangle lids can fall into the hole.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
When in doubt, scream and shout
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
i get around like sushi on a kaiten
By
Dynamite wrote:G'day mate,
Manhole covers are a bit of a gamble really. Some permanently sealed, others so full of debris they won't budge. Others are a total pushover. Although you probably know this already, never lift a manhole cover if you don't know its location unless it's an emergency. Getting your head knocked off by a truck isn't worth it.
Best way to get them up in my experience is to give it a sharp smack with the palm of your hand on one corner. Then do the same on the opposite side, work your way around.
You'll know soon enough if it's going to lift. Just keep your head down, and avert your eyes from the stream of debris that is most certainly going to pile up in your eye sockets :D
Just don't get too carried away fiddling with the damn thing that you lose concentration on your surroundings - some of the shafts leading to covers can be a very long way up, and if you slip off the stepirons and fall, Y'all going to have a very bad time :shock:
As for the temperature, it varies also. I've been draining in winter and sweated buckets. Other drains I've done in the middle of summer have been nice and cool. Depends on the construction of the drain and the airflow through it - It's the humidity more than anything.
Hope that's helpful man, Safe exploring!
Hey Dynamite you can always blast em off.
By
Kinda off topic, but.... when exploring drains that you have to lift a manhole cover to get in, what do you do with it while you are in the drain? Leaving it off seems unsafe and likely to draw attention. But obviously getting it on while in there would be nigh impossible.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
tyggriffic wrote:Kinda off topic, but.... when exploring drains that you have to lift a manhole cover to get in, what do you do with it while you are in the drain? Leaving it off seems unsafe and likely to draw attention. But obviously getting it on while in there would be nigh impossible.
In larger groups we (Cave Clan) often have topside support, i.e. someone or a few people who will stay to close lids etc.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
 Post a reply
Go