Login RegisterFAQ
urbex just hit the news for the wrong reasons..... again.
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hi everyone.
Firstly, I'll apologise for not taking the time to introduce myself, I've spent quite a bit of time here looking around, and absorbing what I can, though really haven't had a great deal to add.
So I just sat down to watch the 4pm news on ABC after work, and after all of 5 minutes a piece relating to urbex comes on, but for all the wrong reasons. It appears a group in Melbourne has taken it upon themselves to release a YouTube video showing them in all manner of "forbidden places" including such bright ideas of filming themselves tagging, hanging off the backs of moving trains, roof topping various promenant Melbourne sites and so on.
While some of the footage they've put up is great, and I admire the balls they've shown to get into some of these places, surely they knew that it would attract attention, the wrong kind, from media, the authorities and the general public that think we should just "stay out".
Its the kind of attention that only serves to make urbexing harder for everyone else who does the right thing.
It just annoys me that people are so desperate for a bit of celebrity that they will happily stuff things up for the rest of us
By
Do you have a link to the video?

Edit: Timdole posted a link to it in another thread.

[youtube]-Sii2N9PhRM[/youtube]
By
Thanks for posting that mate, That's the footage they're using in the ABC news piece. Apparently the footage is under police investigation.
Like I said, some awesome shots, but at what cost.
By
I don't really expect any sort of news media to take an understanding angle on urbex, haha. It's all too easy to dismiss it as criminal activity; throw in some drug use and vandalism and there's your news story.
By
Thought I'd post here just so everyone outside can see it.

There's quite a few pics like this on instagrm and tmblr now (deliberately misspelled). Like above, I'm sure they also do a bit of tagging which is a no-no.

And giving us all a bad name. Just hope the authorities catch them.

And BTW: Hi Daeman :)
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
I think the videos make for pretty entertaning viewing which is why it gets exposure. News is about entertainment.
Too bad about naming the places tho. Can imagine the construction company doing Prima Pearl would have had their asses ripped due to the amnt of videos going around of people getting up the top.

I cant imagine it will be that had to id them, although the effort may not be worth it. Thats unless they do it to make an example of them, which simply doesnt work anyway.
By
urbex.com.au
By
Benderz, it's probably not worth it as most of them are most likely underage.
By
Yeah, fair call, urbex will probably never hit the media for the right reasons.... But if that's the case, I'd rather it not hit the media at all.
Ultimately, this kind of rather public video release see's companies up their security, lock things up better and so on. Security companies get their ass kicked for failing to prevent access and therefore also begin to pay more attention to who's accessing sites. Then there's also the possibility of police also being harsher to those they catch in a bid to act as a deterrent.
Whilst the channel 9 link doesnt show much more than the train stuff, The abc report basically played the first 30 secs to a minute of the YouTube clip, which included shots from the perma pearl and melbs gpo, along with a snippet of tagging and riding on trains etc...
Its just a shame they couldn't show the same level of discretion in releasing footage and pics of their exploits that a lot of the users here on uega use.
By
Not too happy about some of the footage shown in the video, in particularly the city loop footage. Showing access points it's pretty stupid if you ask me. If PE posted the video with intentions of going back to some of the spots then they'll be in for a shock.. Overall it's a well composed film but I've never really been for sharing videos..
By
Word on the street is they used stock footage for a lot of the sexy shots... Just saying...

They're all kids, meaning there's no point the cops going after them, they can't really do much.
By
By
smithy1801 wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhaTz43x2as I think they gave us quite a good rap when they interviewed this group
That was lame.

An outsider would have no idea what the hell urban exploring was after that. They're just so vague. It makes you wonder if the children interviewed even know why they're doing it.

Also, the stuff about searching for hidden treasures... makes them seem like thieves.

That would probably be the take home message for all the people viewing at home. Urbex is for vague, leather shoes with no socks, beanie wearing thieves.
By
"They're mission, to show the city from a different perspective"

I thought the message was pretty clear.

Not saying it wasn't lame though, lol.
 Post a reply
Go