Login RegisterFAQ
Dangerous 'rooftopping' craze -Telegraph article
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
You can now see first-hand what posting your photos online will result in.

Click on link for full article and photos.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 6811934261
Dangerous 'rooftopping' craze arrives in Sydney, trespassing teens photographed dangling over edge of city skyscrapers by: James Gorman •From: CENtRAL •January 27, 2014 9:21AM
•Rooftopping involves thrillseekers posting daring pictures of themselves on skyscrapers on social media
•Dangerous fad has spread from Europe and US to Sydney
•Authorities have warned against rooftopping which has already claimed at least one life in the US
•Trend for posting images of dangerous stunts has spread to public transport
SYDNEY youths are putting their lives at risk by taking part in a dangerous new game known as "rooftopping" on high-rise buildings.
The craze involves youths breaking into buildings, ascending to the roof and filming themselves in precarious positions, sometimes with their legs dangling over the edge.

The pictures and videos, some of which have been obtained by Central, are then posted on social media sites like Instagram.

Rooftopping has spread from Europe and the US, where participants will go as far as to disguise themselves as employees in order to gain access to the rooftops of buildings without suspicion.
An Instagram shot of youths ‘rooftopping’ on the ledge of a Sydney skyscraper. Source: Supplied
The craze is starting to grow in popularity with dozens of social media pages flooded with images of children no older than 16 seen on rooftops around the CBD.

Police in other Australian states and overseas have already raised the alarm over the potentially deadly craze but it hasn't stopped the pictures appearing online.

A 23-year-old man reportedly died in Chicago while rooftopping in December last year.

A concerned parent from Alexandria, who wished not to be named, said it was only a matter of time before a child was seriously injured or killed as a result of the dangerous trend.

"When kids are on school holidays they get bored and they get restless and all of these images on social media appear to be almost be promoting this 'rooftopping' which is so dangerous," she said.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
I know some of you are involved in some kind of Sydney joint video project. You may as well be waving good-bye to any place you post a photo of on your Instagram and Facebook or anything else.
By
It's why I keep most of my gallery private for now and I don't tag any photos.

Last thing I want is unnecessary attention.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
Thanks for sharing SC.

LoL, very responsible of the Daily Telegraph to post the pics - and location detail!
It will probably just spark interest in rooftopping and urbex in general. Kinda like the 'Striesand Effect' :)
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
It's frustrating to see this kind of thing time after time for so many years.
By
Trust the Telegraph to post an article like that. Thanks for sharing Scarecrow.
By
Great article. disappointed the limit the "craze" to taking photos and posting them on social media.

they left out all the fun bits. stalking security guards, running the f*** away from dogs and the obligatory "is there someone else in here with me" thoughts.

personally i don't do it so i can have a picture pissing contest with everyone else
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
i get around like sushi on a kaiten
By
Well said Scarecrow. Not helping the cause at all.
I put a "No Trespassing" sign on the fence. Now no one will enter.
By
Nuggs wrote:It will probably just spark interest in rooftopping and urbex in general. Kinda like the 'Striesand Effect' :)
I hate it when any thing about urbex gets in the media, because then it attracts all the idiots as well. In turn, whenever they make stupid mistakes, the media reports it. Nek minit, we all need lockpicking skills, invisibility cloaks and Mayan magic to access any site.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Concerned parent of Alexandria -

[youtube]Qh2sWSVRrmo[/youtube]
Stupidity helps you make the first step and sense gets you out alive.
By
Midget wrote:........ and Mayan magic to access any site.
I just stare sternly at the door till it opens!
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
By
twokick wrote:
You mean, "Open sesame!"?
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Midget wrote:
twokick wrote:
You mean, "Open sesame!"?
oh no! to talk to the doors arouses contempt in the heart of all doors. it'll never let you in after that!
By
Scarecrow wrote:I know some of you are involved in some kind of Sydney joint video project. You may as well be waving good-bye to any place you post a photo of on your Instagram and Facebook or anything else.
There is a Melbourne version of this that got released yesterday, and currently has 6000 views, sorry Melbourneites...
[youtube]-Sii2N9PhRM[/youtube]
urbex.com.au
By
Oh dear me. I'll just go weep over here I think >>>>>>> ;(
By
Pretty cool video but what exactly are they trying to get across? It at first appears to be some kind of documentary only to turn out to me a collaboration of rooftopping/train tunneling with ghetto audio placed over it..
By
KTOphotographic wrote:but what exactly are they trying to get across?
Look at me, look at me, look at me.
By
Draper wrote:
Look at me, look at me, look at me.
Good point. If you want to be more pissed off, visit the facebook page "Abandoned Melbourne" ... yikes.
 Post a reply
Go