Login RegisterFAQ
Should UEGA become a .onion site?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
and I'm not saying that it should be necessarily, but google can trace all our IP addresses when we click into this site from google results.

Thoughts? (particularly from the moderators)

Cheers,
"Did you know urine is sterile? That's right, you can drink it."
By
I think that would be a pretty extreme measure.
After all, its a site about casual trespassing rather than hard criminal activity.
The inconveniance of using tor would likely outweigh any privacy advantages.
From what I've been told, a large number of tor exit nodes are compromised anyway.
We try to promote the urbex community in a responsible fashion, encouraging people to join and share.
Don't think you'd see too many members on here if that were the case.
By
Interesting point. Clicks can be tracked but can't really see what we are posting in the members section. Just have to be discrete when we post.

If it was an easy transition I would be up for it. But I haven't had time to look at Tor.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
theedge wrote:Interesting point. Clicks can be tracked but can't really see what we are posting in the members section. Just have to be discrete when we post.

If it was an easy transition I would be up for it. But I haven't had time to look at Tor.
This site is not secure and if law enforcement really wanted to find your info they would. Its just the police have "better" things to do at the moment, like giving out speeding and j-walking fines.

Tor is more secure but still wouldnt trust it with the amount of cash being funnelled into the NSA on decription tech.
By
Nah.

All Google does with information of people who click into here from their search results, is use it for targeted advertising.

When clicking around the site, only UEGA server sees that info (and IT people at your workplaces ;) ). Police would need a warrant for the host to disclose IPs, and that would be complete overkill for the content that people post here.
By
benderz wrote:
theedge wrote:Interesting point. Clicks can be tracked but can't really see what we are posting in the members section. Just have to be discrete when we post.

This site is not secure and if law enforcement really wanted to find your info they would. Its just the police have "better" things to do at the moment, like giving out speeding and j-walking fines.

Tor is more secure but still wouldnt trust it with the amount of cash being funnelled into the NSA on decription tech.
It doesn't matter whether or not the site is secure, if you really wanted to be anonymous you could.
By
You'd use it if you had something to hide. Doing that could result in ears pricking up from authorities with the question being; What needs to be hidden?

Members of the Cave Clan were once visited at their house by the police who had print-outs of transcripts of online conversations (the conversations were only a joke, but it still aroused a serious response).
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
I'd say there's nothing wrong with being paranoid until u start hearing voices in ur head.

On a slightly unrelated note, I always thought the so called undercover Melb tram guards were a myth until I saw them with my own eyes, I thought they looked suss the moment I saw them on the platform
By
aydun wrote:Nah.

Police would need a warrant for the host to disclose IPs.
I'm not completely convinced about that. Your rights to privacy are constantly dwindling under the guise of "anti-terrorism".

Besides, using info you've provided on this site I found your full name and facebook account, Aydun.
The police wouldn't need to obtain your IP address to find you.
By
maggot wrote:
I'm not completely convinced about that. Your rights to privacy are constantly dwindling under the guise of "anti-terrorism".
I'm correct. Here's some information from Google:
https://www.google.com/transparencyrepo ... alprocess/

maggot wrote:Besides, using info you've provided on this site I found your full name and facebook account, Aydun.
The police wouldn't need to obtain your IP address to find you.
Nice sleuthing. However, don't feel too proud. My full name is also listed in plain sight on my blog ;)
By
aydun wrote:
maggot wrote:
I'm correct. Here's some information from Google:
https://www.google.com/transparencyrepo ... alprocess/
https://www.google.com/transparencyrepo ... quests/AU/

780 requests for user data, 546 requests fulfilled with some level of data given, in the past 6 months. That isn't a lot, when there's things like internet fraud, pedophiles etcetc that would be investigates as well. Spose you just gotta be careful what you post.
urbex.com.au
By
timdole wrote:https://www.google.com/transparencyrepo ... quests/AU/

780 requests for user data, 546 requests fulfilled with some level of data given, in the past 6 months. That isn't a lot, when there's things like internet fraud, pedophiles etcetc that would be investigates as well. Spose you just gotta be careful what you post.
Agreed, especially when you consider that that's 0.002407% of the Australian population. I believe it's safe to say that 'recreational trespassing' ranks much lower than the more serious crimes you mentioned; especially in regards to drains and abandonments.
 Post a reply
Go