Login RegisterFAQ
Is there anything at....?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Didn't want to create a thread for one question, today it's:
Stradbroke Island.
Anyone seen anything interesting over there? Disused sand extraction gear maybe? (Not saying it'd be something achievable)
Probably not many abandoned places over there, just wondering
By
Great question No+Pro :)

I've been looking into Straddy and pussinboots helped me make this list

The Fever Hospital Museum - Island History - just as you land on Island
The Graveyard - next to Museum
The Sand Mines - other side of Island
The War Stuff - old - Brisbane side

Sorry its a bit vague - just going off rumors and chatting to folk :roll:
-
--> Darkday Flickr - Urbex Photos - Albums -- ---> Our Explores Posted List - 2 - UEGA
By
Good advice DeScent.

I reckon anything not heratige listed would be fairly well demolished out there, to keep the greenies happy.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Don't know south stradbroke at all, but have been to north stradbroke a lot. The best part is point lookout, amazing gorge walk , short but very beautiful, also dead mans beach , cylinder and frenchmans beach, a string of lovely hidden coves . There may be some urbex there, but I didn't see a lot. Dulwich has the museum with the islands history documented, a sad tale ... The ships full of prisoners and immigrants used to dock in the bay, called hulk ships. Sometimes they were so full of fever most of them died, and are buried in the graveyard there. There are quite a few wrecks apparently.. Good place to visit.. :)
By
Try Saint Helena Island if you haven't heard of it.
By
Thanks guys, id say itll be fairly urbex free but more of a 4x4 weekend. St helena is on my todo list for sure but need to find friends with boats. Not paying for a tour anytime soon
By
If you visit St. Helena at night, be sure to bring plenty of mozzie repellent! Went there on a ghost tour as a wee lad and learned this the hard way :?
By
No+Pro wrote:Thanks guys, id say itll be fairly urbex free but more of a 4x4 weekend. St helena is on my todo list for sure but need to find friends with boats. Not paying for a tour anytime soon
I second that. Those tours are a rip off; they barely run and are apparently quite short.
By
Ended up being a more or less explore-free weekend

Had another go at star trails

Found the less than exciting lighthouse

Rescued a broken down Discovery (3 months old)

Tagged a sand dune with my car

The pic of ReDiscovery was very close to where i wanted to go look for holes in the fence to the mine, but we were just flat out that day. Ah well, probably would have been too hard anyway
Last edited by No+Pro on 09 Jul 2015, 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By
Looks like it was a pretty good weekend:)love that star trail picture, how long did that take?
By
Nice shots. Wouldn't expect a land rover to get bogged down.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
theedge wrote:Nice shots. Wouldn't expect a land rover to get bogged down.
neither did its owners, they were fuming, they ended up packing up their campsite and staying at our rental for the night, while we towed them there, i saw a bearing drop out from under the car, a bit later, the CV followed it.. brand new D4.. bugger
By
No+Pro wrote:
neither did its owners, they were fuming, they ended up packing up their campsite and staying at our rental for the night, while we towed them there, i saw a bearing drop out from under the car, a bit later, the CV followed it.. brand new D4.. bugger
Well, thats what they get for taking a luxury modern day 4x4 off road... They don't make 'em like they used to :lol:

Nice pics!
By
lehct_ wrote:
No+Pro wrote:
Well, thats what they get for taking a luxury modern day 4x4 off road... They don't make 'em like they used to :lol:

Nice pics!
we had a chuckle at the sticker on the back they all have, world's most awarded 4x4, or something like that. That one earned the Worst First Offroad Trip award

thanks, you've been quiet on here lately, making a comeback?
By
Pussinboots wrote:Looks like it was a pretty good weekend:)love that star trail picture, how long did that take?
oops thought i'd replied to this.. it was about an hour (or one beer and a short nap) of 30 second shots, first shot was spent painting the foreground.
the black patch on the left was the ocean, if the camera was a little lower and angled up, could have avoided that.. next time
used a free program called StarStax, pretty easy to work out
By
No+Pro wrote: we had a chuckle at the sticker on the back they all have, world's most awarded 4x4, or something like that. That one earned the Worst First Offroad Trip award

thanks, you've been quiet on here lately, making a comeback?
I've been keeping busy, but I guess I should drop in here a bit more often.
By
No+Pro wrote: neither did its owners, they were fuming, they ended up packing up their campsite and staying at our rental for the night, while we towed them there, i saw a bearing drop out from under the car, a bit later, the CV followed it.. brand new D4.. bugger
Curious. Was it their first time doing 4x4 trails? I would have thought they would have scoped the track first before pushing ahead or get another car along. Mind you being in a new 4x4, I probably would have not thought about that too!
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
our first thought was driver error - turns out he's been in the army for 7 or so years and can drive anything they could throw at him :)
 Post a reply
Go